1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Schlereth predicts Tomlin will have first losing season

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Blast Furnace, May 14, 2024.

1. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011

Because of the QB’s. Says they hold the ball too long and take too many sacks. No one was slower to get rid of the ball than Wilson and Fields.

I don’t agree with him on this one. They are going to try and be a ball control offense, unless they fall behind early you wont see 30 + passes a game.

We already know he doesn’t think much about Wilson but apparently doesn’t think Fields is any good either. I don’t see how either one of them isn’t an upgrade over the QB play they had last season.

They may not get a playoff win if the QB play doesn’t end up much better than last season but I don’t see them with less than 9 wins.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  2. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    anyone who says the Steelers will have a losing season because our QBs aren't any good hasn't been watching us since 2018.

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Winner Winner x 7
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 6
    • Like Like x 2
  3. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    The Steelers roster is better than it has been in the last 5 or 6 seasons and they are not handcuffed by some HS level OC. I feel comfortable saying 10-7 and playoffs this season even with a tough AFC conference.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  4. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Wilson and Fields do hold the ball and there will be more sacks and negative plays but there will also be more big plays as they both like to sling it down the field.

Wilson should be a dramatic improvement over Pickett and Rudolph in the Redzone and I’d be surprised if Russ is the reason they have a losing season.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Steelvision

Steelvision Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2022
    WTF, has he seen the way we improved the line? Wilson will be playing behind the best line in years.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    He’s right about holding the ball too long, though. They need to work on them to get the ball out quicker. They average around 3.5 seconds. Both Fields and Wilson lead the league in sacks taken.

Also, people frustrated with Kenny bailing on pockets will just love these guys as well. We can build the best line in the world but if guys bail on clean pockets, going to cause the same problems.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  7. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    With due respect @Blast Furnace, how many times has this same "song 'n' dance" been played out?!

1. E.J. Snyder of the Bootleg Football Podcast stated it last season.
    2. Colin believing that 2022 was the season the Steelers were headed to a losing season.
    3. Many... and I mean MANY National Media Outlets stated that after Big Ben got injured in 2019.

Tomin's Playoff Record leaves a lot to be desired. However, Tomlin's absolute charismatic capabilities have saw to it that the Steelers don't know the concept of a losing season. Not an attack on you of course but on the subject of the Steelers under Tomlin having that "losing season."

This all said, I do agree that, at present, neither Wilson nor Fields are appeasing options as QBs. One is simply running out of time to prove anything while the other has one final chance to establish himself as a starting capable QB. These two aspects could definitely mean that, like you, I also don't expect too much heading into the playoffs; improved roster or otherwise. What I do expect though is a higher win total; strength of schedule being somewhat irrelevant at this point as far as both Tomlin and the Steelers are concerned. Why?!

Tomlin's Playoff Record is again, poor. His Regular Season Record though?! Completely different story.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Mashburn

Mashburn Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2021
    I'm not saying this to Blast. I'm saying it to these people with a voice who get articles written about them.

Some; and increasingly a lot the last few years, are just click bait wannabe. It's disgusting that they do zero research, yet still have a voice.

9. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Nor am I to Blast. Would never.

As you said, some people just love to hear themselves talk.

• Like Like x 1
  10. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    And sometimes it's just someone with an ax to grind and a podcast.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Steelersfan43

Steelersfan43 Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2016
    I want a great steelers season but if this is not the case,I prefer a 5-12 season over a 9-8 season once again...I have enough to be stuck in the middle

• Disagree Disagree x 3
  12. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Let's play a game before we say we are doomed. This includes mr.mustard.:smiley1::cool:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  13. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Stink usually knows his stuff, and I have been saying the same......Except!!!!!!!
    Tomlin, and Rooney..no matter what others think.....will only lose so much before they will put their foot down, and make some kind of change ....even if it means only throwing the ball 10 times a game.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Lot still has to come together this season, Oline, Qb play, learning a new offense but I very much like the team they put together.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Schlereth hates Russell so I think his take is biased, with a better OL maybe Wilson won't hold onto the ball too long.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    You know who else held the ball too long? BIG BEN and he won a lot doing it.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Ben was a freak that could shrug off grown men like small children and make big play after big play.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  18. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Ball control offense will only get you so far. Its already been put out there that's the direction. Archaic. They best find a passing attack if they want to go further then another participation trophy winning season. Oh and make sure the Tomlin defense doesn't fold against bottom feeders and in the playoffs.

Like a linebacker out there. I miss that.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  19. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022
    I hate our QB's also.
    But I don't think 'it is because of them.'

Our OL in unproven, we have a rookie center and OT. - I think they will be upgrades but until they take the field and prove it I can't say for sure.
    Our WR's are thin.
    Our DB's have to play better and stay healthy.
    Those areas have me a little uncomfortable.

That said, I don't think they finish last, Cleveland seems to be imploding already.
    I think the Steelers can compete better but not yet at KC/Buf levels.

• Like Like x 2
  20. forgotten1

forgotten1 Well-Known Member

Mar 4, 2022
  21. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    And that is the only reason He got away with it, but not without many injuries.....this is why He learned to stay in the pocket, and became one of the Quickest to deliver the ball.

• Like Like x 1
  22. BigBensBigBong

BigBensBigBong Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2014
    Schlereth? Who dat? LOL.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  23. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Best thing Haley did was getting Ben to adopt that style of play.

• Winner Winner x 2
  24. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    Never trust someone whose last name begins with 4 consonants. :cool:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  25. blackandgoldpatrol

blackandgoldpatrol Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011
    If we can get to .500 with Duck and Rudolph, it's mind blowing that anyone buries us with Wilson/Fields

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1