1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

WR Roman Wilson

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steelersfan43, Apr 26, 2024.

1. Steelersfan43

Steelersfan43 Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2016
    Because he was a 6th round draft pick...Player like Sanders had more playing time in 2010,same for Mike Wallace the year before as rookie....The steelers had also Martavis Bryant as rookie in 2014,he had a big impact on our offense,same for JuJu in 2017 and the 4 players that I just named,none of those players were drafted in the top 60 in the draft,so this is very possible that Wilson has playing time if he is good and if you look at the roster at the WR position this is likely

• Like Like x 2
  2. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Did you mean analogy? It's not poor at all. Sanders was also a rookie and an inferior player to Brown, yet the latter needed time before he was ready to be a stud in the league.

I can go back farther. Jerry Rice got plenty of playing time as a rookie in San Francisco and he was good, but he was nowhere near what he would become. Neither Lynn Swann nor John Stallworth did much as rookies. The job has become more complicated for receivers since then, not less, making it more of a question mark if receivers are ready to produce from the beginning. That is why adding a veteran would be the smart play, but so far, the Steelers have failed to do it.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  3. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    That is correct.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Steelresolve

Steelresolve Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2022
    There’s plenty of Rookies that have done very well their Rookie Season as well. I don’t want to take the time to look them all up but just last year you got the rookies from Baltimore and from the LA Rams.

• Winner Winner x 1
  5. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Puka Nukua, exception to rule, yes, but necessary today - yes.
    Zay Flowers - exception to rule, yes, but necessary - yes.
    Roman Wilson - exception to rule - but necessary - yes.

watch.....and see.

More and more Rook WR play today early and perform, than 20 years ago. Data would show that.

We may need that. that is all am saying.

This kid will be thrust into that similar role, I assume.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020

come on man - we were not born last night

it was more of a crowed WR roster spot at that time, than today.

and...different offense. Had Ward and Wallace as bonafide starters, Miller at TE. ARE in the slot.

Brown drafted as luxury, Rd 6 - not a need.

your logic often breaks down quickly, I am afraid to say.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I never argued that it can't happen. I am arguing that counting on it is foolish.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Why is it you need the crutch of a lame personal attack to prop up your argument?

The Antonio Brown we later saw would have forced his way into a prominent role. He was better than all of those players. The reason he didn't is because he wasn't that player yet.

I provided many other examples, too. There are receivers who contribute right away, but many simply aren't ready to do so. Giving Wilson the opportunity makes sense. Assuming he will be able to take advantage of it does not.

9. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I'm not doubting that they will try to force him into the role. That doesn't mean he will be able to handle it.

10. Steelresolve

Apr 16, 2022
    What about counting on rookie lineman? Like I said we had a ton holes, we weren’t going to fix them all in one off season

• Like Like x 1
  11. Steelresolve

Apr 16, 2022
    You are the one that starts with the lame personal attacks.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020

it's not the 'best' scenario - foolish is an adjective implying "fools wish".

many teams enter the season with hopes on top pick receivers , in need of help.

I gave you 2 examples of success from last season. I could give you many more from the last few years - and yes, there are lots of failures, too.

We are counting right now on a strong rookie campaign from Wilson. I would not call it foolishness.

We don't need Lynn Swann, Yr. 1

• Winner Winner x 1
  13. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020

ALL DAY LONG - months on end
    :facepalm::lolol::clapping:

he can't handle the truth, as was once stated in a classic movie

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Notice that I was a proponent of signing a veteran center rather than relying on a draft pick. Given that every viable option on the market was gone and they need a long-term option, I was happy they drafted Frazier, but rookies are not sure things.

15. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    You are entitled to your inaccurate opinion.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  16. Steelresolve

Apr 16, 2022
    Neither are free agents. Free agents are alot more costly as well.

17. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020

we saw plenty of free agents brought in here the last 5-10 years be complete failures.

Colbert was a failure at the end

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. Steelresolve

Apr 16, 2022
    I agree. He got desperate trying to plug holes to keep the team competitive during Bens last few years.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I'm actually more worried about this, but most rookie Wrs that do well(not all) have good veteran Wrs playing with them.....I'm not sure if We can call Pickens this yet, but we shall see....again I'm more worried about rookie OL playing.

20. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Not all free agents are created equal. I shouldn't have to explain that to you.

• Like Like x 1
  21. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Some are safer bets than others. If you invest wisely, they are much safer bets than rookies.

22. Steelresolve

Apr 16, 2022
    It can be risky either way. You do as much due diligence on a player as you possibly can and hopefully they work out for you. FA typically are going to be alot more costly so your paying more for that supposed comfort. Just because they had success in one organization doesn’t always mean it will translate to yours. In addition the upside is significantly lower with free agent signings unless you go for one of the premier free agents which rarely come on the market and when they do they are expensive.

23. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    It wouldnt be ideal to rely on a rookie but Wilson is pretty good. JuJu was the number two his rookie season and had a good year.

Pickens isn’t AB but they can’t ignore him either. That will be very helpful to Wilson.

I still think it will be moot when they trade for a WR.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  24. Steelresolve

Apr 16, 2022
    Me too. Frazier to me has the most pressure on him.

• Like Like x 1
  25. Steelresolve

Apr 16, 2022
    You see this is where you irritate people. All you had to say was “Not all free agents are created equal” and then maybe add “In my opinion” but instead you add that little jab at the end “I shouldn’t have to explain to you”. I am nice to people until they start being disrespectful and even then I let it slide a couple times and then finally I am sarcastic back with them.