1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Free Agency Thread

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Blast Furnace, Mar 5, 2024.

1. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Or the Steelers like 31 other teams didn't think Boyd was worth what he was asking, you ever consider that :shrug:.

• Like Like x 1
  2. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Maybe you make an exception if the player is a Justin Jefferson talking trash, not some #3 slot WR like Boyd.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    They gave Patrick Queen the largest APY contract in Steelers history, so it's not every move as great value.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    It's not 100% speculation. I said that there isn't any reason to believe that Khan/Weidl are only after free agents at the "perfect value" to the detriment of actually signing them... and there isn't. How do you explain the money spent on Queen/Holcomb/Peterson/Seumalo/etc.? How do you explain our propensity to make trades (Claypool/DJ/Draft Day trades up)? Not every move has worked (and it never will), but they don't seem to have any problem paying the price that needs to be paid for players that they actually want.

It is just as much speculation that we wanted Boyd but were too cheap to compete than it is that people within the FO didn't want him because of prior negative comments. So idk why this is a problem.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. SGSteeler

Sep 9, 2013
    I'm not 100% positive here. I meant that the league would have to clear up what it is doing about the legal issues. They can be VERY contradictory in how they handle things like this, so you never know.

6. SGSteeler

Sep 9, 2013
    I'm sure there are exceptions to the rule (Jefferson would definitely be one of them), but the point remains. You have to be EXCEPTIONAL to be an exception to the rule... Tyler Boyd doesn't qualify. Good player and good career, but he isn't good enough to be that exception.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Those teams also passed on the scrubs the Steelers are trying to use to fill he void. You ever consider that?

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    This is just laughable. If the Steelers passed on a player who could help them because he hurt their feelings once, that is incredibly stupid.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Except nobody is trying to hype those guys up like you're trying to do with Boyd, after they drafted Wilson they had no interest in Boyd, so that 4.5 million he got means nothing.

10. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Different circumstances but would you want them to sign Vontez Burfict, if he could've helped the team.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Thor

Thor

Mar 20, 2014
    [​IMG]

• Hilarious Hilarious x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. SGSteeler

Sep 9, 2013
    It isn't their own feelings, they are thinking of the players on the team.... I know for a fact that when your effort/accountability/team culture gets called out publicly like that, it isn't well received by the players/locker room. Chances are the FO felt like Boyd's abilities weren't worth the chance that players on the team think he's a punk for how he's acted towards them over the past two seasons. It really isn't crazy, laughable, or stupid to take things like this into account.

13. Steelersfan43

Steelersfan43 Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2016
    Burfict can't help a team....I mean he cost a Bengals playoffs win in 2015 and he learn nothing after that....

14. Steelersfan43

Steelersfan43 Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2016
    This is true it can happen once but it become a problem when it happens mutiples times especially against the same team

15. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020

Golden would be our best OLB back up option. If TJ or Alex goes down for a long time, no one is ready for longer term full time duty. including Bud. Golden would be golden ;)

• Like Like x 1
  16. Steelresolve

Steelresolve Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2022
    Your making a big assumption that player could help them. You really don’t understand that Boyd can not be a perimeter WR. But there you go chasing names.

17. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Or they thought they could lowball him and he would sign anyway and that plan failed. Also, just because they chose not to sign him doesn't mean they were right.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  18. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I don't agree with your claim that Boyd can't be a perimeter receiver, but that isn't relevant to this point. The argument was that they passed on him not due to his ability, but due to the things he said two years ago. So if they thought they could help him and passed because he hurt their feelings, that would be incredibly stupid. Try harder to keep up next time.

19. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Herbig is probably going to be the third outside linebacker this year, which is one reason Golden might not re-sign.

• Informative Informative x 1
  20. Steelresolve

Apr 16, 2022
    How in the world do you know why they passed on him? You hear a rumor and draw a conclusion from it and present it as fact.

Last edited: May 10, 2024
    • Like Like x 1
  21. Steelresolve

Apr 16, 2022
    I don’t think that was an issue at all. They signed Ogunjobi who was part of the fight with Garrett and Rudolph years back. These guys understand its competition and a game at the end of the day. Players get in fights wittin the team and on the practice field all the time. This is much to do about nothin.

22. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Yeah but calling guys a bunch of quitters and then going and suiting up with them is different than getting into a fight when emotions are running high.

I’m not saying thats why Boyd wasn’t signed but it is a different set of circumstances.

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I would take both as a backup. I think that's what they do best now. Backup, and give breathers

24. SGSteeler

Sep 9, 2013
    I think the "on the field" stuff matters pretty much zero. If it were just that, I would assume you'd be right. These were public comments to the media post game and during the subsequent week. I think there is a separator between the two and how they'd react to each.

Now that Boyd is a Titan its a moot point. Were going elsewhere at the position

25. SGSteeler

Sep 9, 2013
    Neither play ST's and probably are each behind Herbig on the pecking order... Not sure that both is an option. Either or at this point for me. Idc which, just pick one and go with it.

• Like Like x 1