1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

The current WR Situation

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Chinchilla, May 6, 2024.

1. Steelhammer92

Steelhammer92 Well-Known Member

May 19, 2015
    I see fans mentioning Smith's 2wr set offense a lot, and that we don't need a lot of depth behind Pickens.. however, i think too many are assuming Pickens will just step right into the #1 role and thrive. i'm not sure he possesses the all-around skillset to be counted on as a #1. he's an explosive, big play guy, for sure.. but we haven't really seen him display crisp, consistent route running on short/intermediate routes. he's also a loose cannon from a maturity standpoint. i know our QBs sucked, so that could have been why we didn't see him catch much on timing routes. i see more mike wallace in him than AB at this point in his career, but we still do need to see him play with a competent QB.

these names being mentioned in trade rumors, even if they're not all true (where there's smoke, there's fire), tell me the steelers are shopping for a #1 receiver more so than a complimentary #2. and that makes me believe they aren't sold on pickens being able to shoulder the load, at least not yet.

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. mytake

mytake Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2016
    Teams can't just pound the rock and throw it deep in today's NFL. They need playmakers especially in the red zone. The offense is going to be predicated by what they do on first down. If they come out in a run set and the defense puts 8 in the box, the Steelers better be ready to throw on first down. If they run the ball into 8-man boxes their success will be limited unless they are moving people off the ball. While the potential for that is there, the o-line needs to prove that they can actually do it. If the offense does become more efficient, that will help the defense, giving them more rest. That's the hope anyway.

Last edited: May 10, 2024
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Titans did alright with it, it took them to the playoffs quite a few years, but it never got them much further...maybe Wilson or Fields is the difference maker in that regard. I guess we'll see.

4. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    That isn't true. They had a choice. They had opportunities to spend a reasonable amount of money on viable wide receiver options. So far, they have chosen not to do so. I think it is because Khan is allowing the pursuit of the perfect to interfere with the pursuit of the good. Maybe he will prove me wrong and make a move for a variable starting receiver, but failing to sign a replacement for Johnson wasn't some brave move. It was an unnecessary risk.

5. mytake

mytake Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2016
    Yes, Wilson/Fields needs to be as good as Tannehill was that season and the Steelers defense needs to be as good or better than what the Chiefs defense was last year. It's a both and scenario.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Steelresolve

Steelresolve Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2022
    Who besides Boyd in your mind was going to add actual value to our WR room?

7. SteelerJJ

SteelerJJ Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Once June 1 hits, teams may be more open to WR trades.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Wilson becoming another Puka is a big stretch, he set the rookie record for receptions, he's a big physical WR.

9. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  10. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  11. doubleyoi

doubleyoi

Apr 26, 2012
    These guys might not be good WR but they do have speed. Hopefully they find someone capable and these dogs compete for a few bones (4/5 WR and ST)

• Like Like x 2
  12. Jball

Jball Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    Maybe we should start throwing the ball to this guy. We are we not doing that? At least in the red zone?

13. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    We drafted 3 state champion wrestlers this year (Frazier, P. Wilson, and L. Lee). Maybe we're competing in the wrong sports.

• Like Like x 2
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  14. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    denzel mims 4.38
    marquez callaway 4.55
    dez fitzpatrick 4.46
    keilahn harris 4.45

these guys will also be in camp. :cool:

• Like Like x 1
  15. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    And none of them will make the team.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    I think Khan will trade for a veteran receiver before the season starts.

17. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020

well, part of the reason he won't is b/c of the QB.

the point is - he will be asked to grow up FAST.

we will all watch and see.

there may not be muck WR options left at the price we are willing to part with.

we will see....

18. PeeblesAlum

PeeblesAlum Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2023
    Yeah I think you're hitting the nail on the head there. I don't think we need to trade a lot of money for any big name receivers. We just acquired four speedy ones. We just need to develop the ones who will work and return to the old Steelers tradition of smash mouth football in the trenches for the short gain, plus a killer deep threat. So IF and it's a big if but if Roman Wilson can approximately equal Heinz Ward and Pickens can approximately equal an AP or Randle El or Santonio Holmes, and Freiermuth can approximately equal Heath, and Harris and Warren can approximately equal Bettis and Parker, or Mendenhall, then all we need is for CAIII, Scotty Miller, Van Jefferson and/or Quez Watkins to approximately equal Jeremy Tuman, Plaxico, Nate Washington, Emmanuel Sanders and/or Cedric wilson, and we can have kick ass years like '05, '08, '10 and '12.

19. PeeblesAlum

Aug 12, 2023
    Corrections AB not AP but Heinz works good for Hines.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
  21. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    These guys all have resumes that tell us they aren't good.

22. PeeblesAlum

Aug 12, 2023
    Jeez Tim Benz The Steelers Hater. News flash: Any stellar "complement" to George Pickens is just gonna create problems with George Pickens. Let CA III and Scotty Miller complement Pickens then have Roman Wilson and the best 2 of the slew of new guys, and the tight ends, handle the short work and the relief work. Plus whatever new relatively non-stellar guy they'll surely pick up. Johnson wasn't that great and it won't take a top name to replace him. The roster is already better than it was at this point in a lot of past really good years. I said it plenty of times before and I'll say it again:The Steelers don't buy great receivers; they make their own.

23. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Johnson was much better than every option they have other than Pickens. We saw what happened when Austin had to fill in for him last season. In the four games Johnson missed, Austin caught a total of six passes.

That you think Scotty Miller is a viable option is even more laughable.

24. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Quick is it "Hands of Stone" or "Stone Hands" that you yell out when your wide open Track-Star drops a TD ball?

Funny.... Jerry Rice ran a 4.71 forty. But that was before people wanted top end speed out of their WRs.

• Like Like x 1
  25. doubleyoi

doubleyoi

Apr 26, 2012
    Let's hope we don't have to give a WR that nickname. It almost became a term of endearment for Ike "Stone Hands" Taylor