1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

The current WR Situation

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Chinchilla, May 6, 2024.

1. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Work on your reading skills. What they need right now is a solid No. 2 receiver. They don't have one. I have posted all along that I had no problem moving on from Johnson as long as they found a suitable replacement. Trading him and cutting Robinson left them needing No. 2 and No. 3 receivers. I would have been fine with rolling the dice on Wilson and Austin for one of those roles, but going with them and a collection of rejects from the scrap heap seems like a poor idea for a team built to win now.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  2. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    with the smith offense in atlanta that was never going to be a mecca for any wr. probably the same here with smith. philly had a couple of good receivers ahead of watkins. it's not all about one season as i know you know scribe. their ability to block in the run game may say more about why they chose these guys and they also have some ability as receivers. i think enough so to make teams pay if too much coverage is put towards pickens. :cool:

• Like Like x 1
  3. Steelresolve

Steelresolve Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2022
    You just proved my whole point in your response. If he were good he would have gotten a multiyear contract earlier in free agency. Come on Sunshine you can do better than that.

4. Steelresolve

Apr 16, 2022
    Finally somebody speaking logic and sense.

5. Steelresolve

Apr 16, 2022
    All joking aside I really believe they are still going to try to trade for somebody like DK Metcalf after june 1st. A report came out that made it sound like Seattle was at least open to the discussion after June 1st. But honestly if it doesn’t happen we will roll with what we have at WR. Smiths offense literally trotted out a 3 WR set 18% of the time last year. So the third receiver in this offense is negligible. I think you will see alot of two Te sets with Muth lined up out wide or in the slot and Roman Wilson and Pickens as the two WR’s. The issue here is how would Muth do lined up out wide? How would Wilson do lined up out wide?

6. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Quez Watkins wasn't good in 2022, either. Also, ask people who follow the Eagles about him. Even when he did produce for them, he had a habit of making killer mistakes at the wrong moments.

Watkins and Jefferson combined for only 57 receptions in 2022, also less than Boyd had last year with the Bengals. It's not just one bad season. :cool:

7. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    It certainly isn't you.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Two receiver sets require more from the No. 2 receiver, not less.

9. Steelresolve

Apr 16, 2022
    We finally agree on something Twinkle Toes. I think that’s why they are passing on scrubs like Boyd and trying to trade for higher pedigree players.

10. Steelresolve

Apr 16, 2022

Sunshine with how negative you are about the Steelers are you even going to watch the games this year?

11. MeanJoeBlue

MeanJoeBlue Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2013
    I found two games last year where KC was down 14-3 early in the 2nd quarter.
    So only down 11, and they have Mahomes and Kelce.
    They lost to GB 19-27, and blown out by the Broncos 9-24.

Pretty much every team (including the Steelers) will be in trouble if their defense gives up 2 TDs early in the game.

• Like Like x 1
  12. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    Well, you guys can quit complaining. We signed WR Scotty Miller.

(ducks, heads for the exit)

• Hilarious Hilarious x 4
  13. Steelresolve

Apr 16, 2022
    I think to many on here are discounting Roman Wilson. He is nearly identical to DJ in every way being slightly larger and slightly more athletic. Yes he doesn’t have the route running down like DJ did and he is a Rookie but the guy has the work ethic. Read about his story in Highschool. This guys reminds me alot of Hines ward in the attitude and toughness department. I think this guy will be able to play on the outside and make us soon forget about DJ.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Boyd is far better than the scrubs they added. I'm sorry you know so little about the game that you don't realize it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I'm not discounting Roman Wilson. I love the pick. Counting on a rookie taken in the third round is foolish, especially for a team in win-now mode.

• Like Like x 1
  16. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Steelers haven't taken a WR in the first round since 2006 (Santonio Holmes)... Cowher's final year. I can see them drafting WR in the first in '25... depending on what happens this year. Either WR or DE.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    I still don't know why Khan freed up $7 million on the Highsmith contract before the draft. Was their a plan for that money?

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    many here might be, I am not. It won't be hard to forget about DJ. he was very talented, but underachieved.

19. Steelresolve

Apr 16, 2022
    I never liked DJ. He honestly may have been one of my least favorite Steelers ever. He was everything you wouldn’t want in a Steeler.

20. Steelresolve

Apr 16, 2022
    Thats your opinion Sunshine so it must be fact I guess.

21. Steelresolve

Apr 16, 2022
    With as many holes that we have we don’t really have a choice but to rely on Rookies. We will be counting on quite a few Rookies this year at multiple positions. I think we're all going to really like Wilson. In this offense Wilson and Pickens may be all we need to be successful with the others sprinkled in provided they all stay healthy. I still believe we are another offseason and draft away from completing the rebuild of this team but that all of course hinges on Russ or Justin panning out. On a candid note I do wish they would have offered Najee the 5th year option as I think the two of them make a great 1 -2 punch. I sincerely hope this doesn’t turn into a Dallas situation with Zeke and Pollard. I am putting my faith in Khan on this one.

• Like Like x 1
  22. Thor

Thor

Mar 20, 2014
    It would seem you're now jumping to the other side of this argument now that we aren't talking about Harris. ;)

I don't think the games Johnson missed factor in here because if the comparison being made is the WR room now versus last season, that's the production they're looking to replace.

I get that feeling thin because of things like Johnson missing time, Pickens having yet to operate as WR1 for full season, and Wilson still needing to transition to the next level. Last year the top three was Johnson (for the most part solid), Pickens (expected to fill the shoes of a WR2/WR1b), and Robinson (three years removed from 102/1250/6).

Still, Johnson's production from 2023 has to be the starting point when addressing the job the FO has done replacing him after the trade.

23. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011

DJ has had his share of mistakes too. Those 57 are still ahead of our 4th, 5th,6th and 7th receivers put together last year.

You can go on all you want about Boyd but he ain't coming here.:cool:

24. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I hope You are correct. I actually only watched Him play about 5 games....so I'm not in anyway in the know about the kid.

25. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Do you actually think We are in win now mode with 2 rookie OL, Rookie Wrs, One good CB, and We have No knowledge how any of these Qbs will actually look here??? Maybe I mistook what you meant.