1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

The current WR Situation

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Chinchilla, May 6, 2024.

1. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011

those are similar numbers for TJ as they have been every year. same with highsmith. we didn't luck out. :cool:

2. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    Would like to see 1 trade for a strong, tall good hands receiver like DK Metcalf, Aiyuk, Samuel, Higgins or Courtland Sutton. One of these guys would make our receiving core one of the leagues best and plug all holes in our offense. We would have great receivers, running backs and offensive lineman, then it would only be up to the QB to succeed further in the playoffs.

3. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    They have finite resources. They got lucky in signing Golden so cheaply last season. That may not happen again. I expect Herbig's snap count to rise significantly in 2024. I would have no problem at all with him getting 400-plus snaps this season.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    It is a lot eggs put into the Cal Austin III and Romeo Wilson basket.

Maybe Romeo Wilson comes in and looks like the next Puka for the Rams.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    What are you talking about??? TJ Watt had 500 the previous year. Not similar to his 900 from 2023 at all.

6. Robert

Robert Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2016
    Everybody is concentrating on the wide receivers. Are there some good tight ends sitting around looking for a job as well?

I know that the two positions are not the same position, but really a tight end has more versatility than a wide receiver. Wide receivers are splashy play guys. But tight ends can grind you down and keep the ball moving down the field pretty consistently. Look at the teams that have great tight ends and use them a lot. Kelsey, gronk, kittle...... A good tight end can be for all practical purposes a wide receiver one.

Maybe instead of paying through the nose for a top-end wide receiver, there are some tight ends that could be had and fill in a similar roll? If they are double covering Pickens, a good tight end between the hash marks should be tearing them up.

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  7. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    The Steelers have four tight ends who are legitimate candidates for the roster. Freiermuth and Washington are obvious. Heyward's versatility and special teams play will likely get him a spot. They added Pruitt, who has experience with Smith's offense. What remaining free agent tight end is going to push one of those guys off the roster and make an impact as a receiver?

That isn't what the Steelers need. They need guys who can stretch the field and help create room for the running game. What they have is Pickens, a rookie, Austin, and a collection of roster fodder. Austin did very little with his opportunity last season. That leaves a rookie taken in the third round as their best hope of a threat opposite Pickens. That's not good.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I believe some of Austin problems was Qb play. No not all, but some.....will that be fixed this year???

9. CanadianSteel

CanadianSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Yeah…. Get him moving across the formation and hit him in stride… That would be a good start.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Agreed. I'm not putting all the blame on the OC, and Qb play, but I have seen Him wide open last year, and not even been looked at. Hard to make plays like that.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. CanadianSteel

CanadianSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Boyd has signed with the Titans. 1 year $4.5M.

• Informative Informative x 1
  12. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020

good - he was not a fit here any longer

• Like Like x 1
  13. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020

yes - this too.

PLENTY of LB's on this roster.

we are done there

• Like Like x 1
  14. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    This is more evidence for my theory that Khan is too busy trying to make every move a steal instead of making the solid moves that are necessary. The Steelers have a huge hole at receiver and that was a reasonable cost to fill it.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  15. Steelhammer92

Steelhammer92 Well-Known Member

May 19, 2015
    If they wouldn't pay $4.5mil for Boyd, you'd have to think they're still actively looking to trade for a receiver, and that's been their #1 goal.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    Everyone is complaining we don’t have a #2 receiver and then is upset we didn’t sign a guy who was #4 on his team last year. Am I missing something?

• Like Like x 2
  17. blackandgoldpatrol

blackandgoldpatrol Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011
    I, personally, have a lot of faith in our wr rm...
    We all know what Pickens brings to the table..
    Quez Watkins and Van Jefferson are legitimate field stretchers that will keep a defense honest.... Roman Wilson and Calvin Austin are burners that will be nightmares out of the slot.... all of these guys will be unlocked with play action being a staple in the new offense.... let's not forget Muth and Washington at TE hitting the seams, or Connor Heyward and Najee/Warren catching the occasional dump off..... if done correctly, this offense can be quite dynamic as it currently stands.... I'm looking for some fireworks this season

Last edited: May 7, 2024
    • Like Like x 2
  18. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020

no, you are not, just one chronic whiner here since his son Kenny was kicked to curb.

19. james weyandt

james weyandt Well-Known Member

Sep 6, 2021
    well lost out on Boyd probably won't get a big name wr.But-----that's ok let Pickens be the guy hope he does not have a tantrum.

20. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I’m not seeing it that way. I think he’s avoiding overpaying for declining talent. I think he was a bit burned by some of last year’s signings. I don’t see Boyd as much of an upgrade, if any.

21. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Who was No. 4? Boyd was the Bengals' third receiver. He was second on the team in receptions and touchdowns, but that was only because Higgins missed five games.

22. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    He isn't an upgrade over Johnson, but he is a huge upgrade over the cast of scrubs they have behind Pickens right now.

23. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    At least have the nerve to quote the person you are attacking or use their handle the next time you chime in with something worthless like this.

24. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    I can't believe we didn't sign Boyd for that. I can't wait to see what the actual Guarantee is; I am guessing he signed for 1 year $3 million plus incentives.

I have know Idea what Khan is waiting on.

I think that makes former Steeler Allen Robinson the current highest ranked WR still left in Free Agency.

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. DJ18Baller

DJ18Baller Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2021
    In a passing league our WR room is very weak on paper. Roman could be decent but generally rookies have growing pains. Rest of this crew is below average at best.

• Like Like x 1