1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Najee’s 5th will cost 7 million

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Blast Furnace, Feb 24, 2024.

1. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    Thank you for breaking this down. I already knew that the narrative of "padding stats on 3rd and long" was wrong, but it is nice to get some hard numbers to back it up. They look pretty spot on imo. After watching what Warren and Najee have put together over the past 2 seasons it is getting harder and harder to view them as backs on the same level. Warren is a really solid runner that adds a ton of value in the pass game. Harris is just a plodder with suspect vision who can get going when the OL is owning.

Really hoping we get to see a bit more Warren moving forward and how he does with increased opportunity. I think we will get a huge boost from it.

• Like Like x 1
  2. SGSteeler

Sep 9, 2013
    The point I was trying to make is that Tony Pollard and the Cowboys have 0 bearing on Warren and the Steelers. Similar-ish situations, but not really. We shouldn't be shy to give Warren a shot because Tony Pollard had a tough season last year.

3. SGSteeler

Sep 9, 2013
    They do have a plan. Najee appears to be in the plans at a certain price. Najee will likely want more than that amount. So they have a plan to move off him if it comes to it.

Just because we don't see/like the plan, doesn't mean one isn't there.

4. SGSteeler

Sep 9, 2013
    Yes, Warren fumbles more than Harris... but that doesn't mean he can't be a really good back for us. There are a number of guys who have been feature backs that have fumbled a bit in their careers. Najee is exceptionally sure-handed. He better be, because guys that average 3.9 YPC in their careers cant really afford to get nowhere with the ball AND put it on the ground too.

GOOD backs have higher YPC because they pop off big runs. Yes, there are scat backs that can do stuff like that (Devon Achane is a good example) and skew the numbers a bit, but Warren isn't just a home run back... He popped off a couple bigger ones, but it isn't because he is the "speed" back (we're not talking about Tavon Austin here). Derrick Henry popped off big runs and was never a "speed" back. Le'Veon Bell popped off a good amount of big runs too despite maybe not even having the long speed to score from more than 40-50 yards out.

Warren hasn't shown that he can take the abuse simply because he hasn't been given the opportunity. He also hasn't dealt with any injury issues since coming into the league. He's not a small guy, he's just short... He's pretty thick and built, so I'm certain that he can take the hits.

It is definitely more complicated than just the stats. I am also sure that the Steelers will at least attempt to sign Harris to a deal. He just isn't worth the 7 million a year the option had him at, and I think the Steelers know it. They either lock him up for a 2-3 year deal below that number AAV or let him test the market and see what happens. We either get Najee on a good deal or we go out and sign a Jamaal Williams/Zack Moss/Raheem Mostert type for 4 million a year and lose next to nothing in production. I don't really understand all the hand wringing over this.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011

Is Najee on the block? If they are trading him it wont be for draft picks like the article suggests, it would be for a WR.

I know nothing about the guy they picked up in the draft but I don’t think the Steelers want to go back to having a bell cow and dont know if Warren is the guy to carry that load so they better have someone else to take some of the carries and be effective.

I do think they like Warren better and may feel he is better suited for Smiths offense that runs a wide zone scheme. Warren has the juice to do that, Harris is more north/south runner.

6. METALMAN_68

METALMAN_68 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2022
    Oh sh!t, did I forget the green font again?

7. SGSteeler

Sep 9, 2013
    LMAO. You never know around here anymore lol

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. METALMAN_68

METALMAN_68 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2022
    Truth!

9. SGSteeler

Sep 9, 2013
    Harris for Martavis Bryant incoming???

Not really sure what Dallas has to offer in the WR market, but maybe we could use a slot corner too... What Harris' value is on the final year of his deal is a big question mark too. If we did go this route, there are a few decent options still in free agency that could spell Warren so we don't have to run his wheels off.

10. james weyandt

james weyandt Well-Known Member

Sep 6, 2021
    Steelers don't like Harris EITHER NOW BECAUSE HE :crycry: and whined for lots of money :shock::swoon:

11. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    What does Dallas have that other teams like Seattle or San Fran don't?!

12. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    No, nothing Dallas has, not unless they want to give us Lamb! But it could be Cooks.

I was thinking more in general though. If they are trying to move Najee I would think there would be multiple teams interested.

13. Steelresolve

Steelresolve Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2022
    what about Seattle? I know they have one good back but would they be in the market for Najee to add to their rb room. We trade Najee and a second for DK Metcalf.

14. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I’m pretty sure they have two good backs already. It will be draft picks if they want Metcalf.

15. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    That's a hell of a stretch and it is completely unfair to Harris.

16. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    It doesn't have zero bearing. It shows what can happen when you take a back like Warren and ask him to take over the lead role.

17. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Not even close. SF and Seattle are superior.

18. Brice

Brice

Jul 18, 2018
    I am trying my best to give Najee the benefit of the Doubt as to why I wanted his 5th year picked up.

Everything out there says Jaylen Warren is ready to be RB1 on this team,.

This shows that the biggest problem with Najee is his yards before contact. He is getting hit in the backfield way to much, and this allows Jaylen to get his average yards before contact a 1.2 yard advantage to beat him out. Yard after contact they are about even on.
    Najee had 100+ more carries yet they tied in 10+ yard runs???

upload_2024-5-6_16-13-44.png

19. SGSteeler

Sep 9, 2013
    Yeah, I am sure there are RB needy teams that would at least inquire about him. Najee isn't a complete bum and I think he is valued league-wide and in the media at a higher value than his ability suggests he should be.

Yeah, I'd take Lamb for sure haha but yeah Cooks is about the only guy still left that would be at all interesting, and even then not very. Slot CB maybe? Idk. Not a great trade partner if the interest to trade Najee is even there.

20. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    If You still don't understand.....why a guy with 106 more carries has a lower YPA. I'm totally wasting My time. LoL
    I Guess we should have made the Bus a Qb....because He threw tds on all but one attempt. LoL. I mean how great would He have been??? LoL ....Oh wait....we can't compare it...because of how much less He actually threw the ball???

21. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Cowboys beat reporter said it was just clickbait.

• Informative Informative x 1
  22. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    You do realize that getting hit in the backfield is usually the fault of the guys doing the blocking, not the runner, right? Not always, but often enough that your argument doesn't make much sense.

Also, no, everything out there does not say Warren is ready to be the top running back. He hasn't proven he can handle that sort of workload and he hasn't shown that he can protect the ball, especially in bad weather. Those are strengths for Harris. Did you not watch that second game against the Ravens?

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Kaboly had some interesting things to say about Harris. He’s basically prone to mood swings, you don’t really know what you are going to get. He also didn’t like being stripped of his captaincy.

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Maybe. Didn’t Dulac say the Steelers wouldnt get Wilson or Fields only to end up with both? Beat writers aren’t always right.

I dont really know if Cooks would be worth it for them. I like Cooks and would give up a low level pick for him but not Najee.

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    https://x.com/NFL_DovKleiman/status/1787604569540776446