1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

I just realized

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by steel1031, Jan 24, 2013.

1. steel1031

steel1031 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    we have an oppertunity to sure up our secondary for alot of years in this draft. we can get eric reid saftey from lsu in first. baccari rambo and jason elam in second. elam might fall to us in second rambo might be there in third so we can get one of them i think. rambo can even play alittle corner. i have no faith in mundy and allen will be gone. it is becoming a major need. ryan and troy have few years left. this saftey class is good and looking at next years seniors it is weak. i would have no problem going saftey one and two

2. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    i'm not sure we would even have to go one-two to get two good ones.:cool:

3. steel1031

Oct 16, 2011
    ur probably right. i just think with reid and elam we can get two elite players. reid at ss and elam at fs. but it is a deep class. i can see about ten players at saftey i would be happy with

4. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
    between the late rounders i like dj swearing

5. numbah58

numbah58 Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Me too..If we can get Rambo in the 3rd and Swearing on the final day of the draft, I'll be a happy fan.

6. TheSteelHurtin2188

TheSteelHurtin2188 Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    If Hendricks from Pitt leaves early I would want him dude has amazingball skills.

7. GB_Steel

GB_Steel Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    I'm honing in on Vaccaro as my runaway favorite for our first pick, if he's around. I'd also be happy with Reid and about 5 other guys who we have a realistic chance at drafting with #17.

8. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012

I wouldn't complain if Vaccaro was their first round selection. Although, I really want them to fix the oline.

9. steel1031

Oct 16, 2011
    GB, you like vaccaro better than reid or elam? I was wondering cause i seen him play a few times and was not that impressive. He looked slow in the bowl game texas played and really struggled in coverage in the okl st game. I admit he can hit like a truck but he seemed to me to take to many chances. I wouldnt hate him if he is the pick, but i would hope the other two were gone if we take him. have you seen him play alot? i havent seen alot of him so you might know better

10. Tdot Steeler Fan

Tdot Steeler Fan Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    For some reason Vaccaro doesnt look that special to me.

11. GB_Steel

GB_Steel Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    I've watched all of the film on Reid, Vaccaro and Elam that there is on YouTube, and even with my initial bias towards Reid, Vaccaro has been the most impressive of the bunch. And then there's Tony Jefferson, who is also a high quality safety prospect that I think will surpass Elam and probably even Reid on draft day(s).

Vaccaro - Hybrid between Polamalu and Clark, who could be the top backup at each position and take over full time for the first one to leave. Has a combination of suddenness, aggression and athleticism that is very appealing. Always seems to be around th eball, and while he missed some open field tackles in his career, it was very impressive of him to even be in position to make a play to begin with. Can come up and be the 8th defender in the box and also play bump-and-run with the slot. Can fight through blocks and rarely gets washed out of the box. If Barron went top-10, so can he

Reid - Like a homing missile roaming the back half of the field. More of a range guy than a short area burst guy, which is great for FS but not too ideal for SS. No matter, we need both. Would challenge Bernard Pollard as most fierce striker in the AFC North. Not really an INT guy; plays more like Clark looking to separate the man from the ball. Can be fooled due to aggression. Thinking he may fall into the second, supplanted by Jefferson.

Jefferson - Still more tape to watch on him, but I really like what I see from him. Combination of Vaccaro and Reid, not as overall dynamic as Vaccaro and not as vicious as Reid, but capable in every aspect of what a safety should provide. Capabilities remind me of late-career Charles and Rod Woodson when they transitioned to safety. May surprise some people when he slips into first round or very high second.

Elam. Has the tools, but I don't think he has the "it" factor. I see him standing around a lot watching instead of running to assist. Gets washed out of the box on run support. Better in pass coverage than Reid, but not as vicious or aggressive. Solid 2nd round prospect that needs to be motivated to reach his potential. Looked like he was going through the motions a lot at FL. Would challenge Vaccaro as top safety if he shows passion.

Take this for what it's worth, the opinion of one guy who has watched maybe 30 minutes of film of each guy (except Jefferson). I really like Vaccaro, Mac-D really likes Elam. I don't think either is right/wrong, just different viewpoints. Maybe we all get surprised and MacDonald is the first safety gone!

12. numbah58

numbah58 Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I like Rambo.. In fact, I think he's the best FS in the draft. Unfortunately it will probably take our 2nd rounder after today's game. I wish he hadn't caught that INT..

13. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    rambo gets turnovers. phillip thomas gets turnovers. both these guys create alot of them. we need that.

you want a guided missle at SS, then shamarko thomas is the guy. 4.3 speed at SS? unheard of. he's not the best cover guy as far as TO's though.

i do still like elam and some of his tape doesn't do justice to what he's capable of. he is good at run support with his quickness around the line, but GB's right , he's not going to overpower people. the coaches used him in so many different ways and that could account for him not looking like a true SS at times. they used him alot as a FS/CB type of player alot. i do think he's talented enough to go RD.1. he's only a Jr. also. his coaches rave about his skillset to do whatever they ask of him.

mcdougle and addae are also good solid safeties.

i have no problem with vaccaro either, however i still think elam does have a higher ceiling and better overall skills.

cyprien is highly touted too in this group.

i also think amerson's position in the pro's is going to be safety.

i'm pretty high on keeping the turnovers up and speed back there at safety. alot will depend on how some of these guys run and there short area quickness. if some of these guys run in the high 3.5 to 3.6 range then i'd assume take a guy like holloman. he's in that range but goes 241 lbs.. i'd take him in a heartbeat for ILB with safety skills. i know elam has a well rounded game in all these area's.

these guys all have pluses and minuses to their games. the least minusses the better. it really doesn't matter what round we get any of them to me either. if they can't play against NFL talent then why bother anyway. how their skillset's transfer to how we use them is the determining factor, not how they play in college. that's the tough part to factor in.:cool: