1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Najee’s 5th will cost 7 million

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Blast Furnace, Feb 24, 2024.

1. Mashburn

Mashburn Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2021
    With how easy it is to find a RB in the 3rd round, I would pass.

2. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    He already started complaining with two years left on his rookie deal, which to me is a strong indication that he will whine as we get deeper into the process and he may at least threaten to hold out either this training camp or next. Harris is a huge part of the plan for 2024. The Steelers have been building to be a run-oriented offense, including the guys they added on the offensive line and Washington at tight end. Warren is great in his role, but Harris is the workhorse. He protects the ball better, he is more physical, and he can play in bad weather. He's also a smart guy. He knows this. He knows his value and he knows the Steelers are unlikely to pay him big money.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Steelresolve

Steelresolve Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2022
    He’s a smart guy and he doesn’t seem to have a huge ego thats why I believe he won’t need to be paid the highest ay his position. I think he will look at this and say he wants fair compensation but he also recognizes he is in a good spot with our system catering to his strengths. I think they will get something done.

In addition his talents don’t necessarily transcend well to other systems and I think he is smart enough to realize that. It doesn’t always work out for backs when they change teams. Hopefully both he and the Steelers are practical about this.

• Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  4. Steelrules

Steelrules Well-Known Member

May 12, 2013
    He ranks 7th in the league last year running behind an incompetent OL and a Matt Canada playbook. All while sharing workload with Warren. The guy is very good. Let’s see how much better he can be this year and next

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. Brice

Brice

Jul 18, 2018
    Who are you seeing in the 3rd round that could come in and immediately replace Najee?

• Winner Winner x 2
  6. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I'm starting to grow concerned that the Steelers aren't going to exercise Harris's fifth-year option. I think that would be a terrible decision. They can lock him in for one more season at a reasonable price, then let him walk.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020

if it happens, it happens

I won't lose sleep over it, if it doesn't

i still think it is a reasonable price, but they might not see it that way.

8. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    Tuesday at 10:30 am. Any word on if they are exercising the option? Only about 5 or 6 players the decision hasn't been made on.

9. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020

seems the FO Brass might be 50/50 on this too.

I guess......we....will.....see!!

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ - ALL Quiet On The Western Front....

11. Steelresolve

Apr 16, 2022
    I think Warren’s contract is up next year as well. The issue here is the Steelers may not want to tie up alot of money in that position when you can typically get good value in mid round draft picks at a cheaper price. Perhaps they feel Warren will be the better back to put money into and they will draft a bigger back to go along with Warren next year.

12. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    The deadline is today. I think they are going to decline the option, which just makes no sense to me.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  13. Brice

Brice

Jul 18, 2018
    Look at this year's draft and tell me who the Steelers could have picked up in the 3rd or 4th round that could have replaced Najee this year.

The Draft even for RBs in the midround is still a crap shoot. Najee was a 1st round pick, and the Steelers will need to use another 1st round pick to replace him.

It doesn't add up Najee's 5th year option is $6.8 million; The RB Franchise Tag this year is $11.95. Not sure why the Steelers would want to have to use the Franchise Tag next year on Najee.

14. Steelresolve

Apr 16, 2022
    I’m not saying I necssarily agree with them if they don’t extend him but its more about how the NFL views RB’s these days. I agree with you though its crazy $6.8 million is relatively cheap. Not to mention they could actually clear another 8 million this year if they cut Holcomb and Nate Herbig. Not saying they should just throwing that out there. Also you can’t dismiss the fact that Warrens contract comes due next year so does that or doesn’t play into extending Najee. I actually think it would make the Steelers lean more into extending Najee so they for sure have one of them next year. The more I think about this as I write it I can’t see how they don’t extend Najee. Tomlin loves the guy and they have a boat load of money in cap space next year. With their focus on the run game it just makes too much sense. But crazier things have happened and we aren’t privy to what happens behind the scenes or why things play out the way they do.

15. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020

Warren FOR sure gets a nice 4 yr deal before camp - that is a BIG no brainer

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  16. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I agree with most of this except the claim that they would have to use a first-round pick to replace him just because he was taken in the first round. That simply isn't true.

17. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020

does not make a lot of sense to me either, other than what many have said here.

Warren will get a nice extension, Najee is getting banged up a bit - but we will get another year from him this season.

IF he has a killer year, we can discuss the FTag for him.

but I'd give the 5th yr option, I am with you

18. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    The franchise tag would be much more expensive. This just seems like the team is about to make a costly unforced error.

19. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012
    Steelers declined the fifth-year option on RB Najee Harris, giving him the ability to become an unrestricted free agent after this season.
    Steelers are not ruling out a deal later on.

20. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Per 93.7 Steelers have declined option

21. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
  22. SteelersfaninPhilly

SteelersfaninPhilly Well-Known Member

Apr 26, 2018
    Word on the street is Harris wants to play closer to home and that would be California.

23. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    All the more reason to hold on to him while they don’t have to negotiate.

24. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
  25. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    I honestly did not see that coming. Najee was 24 when he was drafted, meaning a 2nd contract was not something I expected either. I thought the option was a sure way yo keep him, and possibly extend a couple of years. Business is business and few RB's that have signed huge 2nd contracts have worked out.