1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Cut Ben some slack on the film study

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steel Acorn, Jan 13, 2013.

1. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Then why did I watch Peyton and Brady make the very same mistakes during the playoffs that Ben makes? A little more film study isn't going to keep Ben from making mistakes or getting hurt. Period!

2. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Help me out here, so if Ben studies more film than Brady and Manning, do their fans start hounding them about not watching enough film? Who says he's not already watching more than what's expected? And when did the other two set the rules on how much film to watch? This is so silly!

3. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    I heard on NFL Network or somewhere that Russell Wilson is apparently the new obsessive film watcher in the league. They said that as soon as the seahawks got back to Seattle that he was reportedly already studying film for next season. Also I believe it was on one of the pregame shows before their game against Atlanta that they were talking about how he is a good leader and that by the time the team was meeting for the first time to discuss a gameplan on a certain team they were about to play that he already had cheatsheets waiting on every person's chair. Who knows if this will make him an elite qb or not but I gotta say I admire the kid's work ethic if all that is true. And at the very least he is inspiring his teammates and that's never a bad thing.

4. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    See what I mean? Now Ben, Brady and Manning aren't earning their checks and doing all they can to help their teams win. If only they could work as hard as Wilson!

5. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Yep. That was EXACTLY what I meant. But just a question for our resident Troll-in-Chief. Who went deeper in the playoffs this year? The guys with a reputation for film study or not? I wasn't saying that film study makes you automatically win games. I was saying that some qbs must put a lot of stock in to it and think it is what they need to make their teams successful. Ben has said himself publicly that he has never really been a big film guy. I've never heard him say that he doesn't study it period. He said when he was suspended that he would take it as an opportunity to become a more cerebral qb. That was what he said to a sports journalist who asked him what he planned to do during his suspension. I'm sure you probably didn't know that though since you were probably off telling someone you were glad their family member died because they insulted you on facebook or something. Just please don't respond to anything I say from this point on. I have tolerated you for as long as I can and I can't do it anymore. You are THE most annoying person on this board. All you do is try to insult people and play like you're some kind of little mall cop policing people's posts. This is a forum for Steelers fans and you are obviously more Ravens caliber.

6. SteelerFanInKC

SteelerFanInKC Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Of the three QB's above, which one wasn't in the playoffs? Yeah, that's what I thought. There is no doubt that Manning and Brady underperformed in their playoff games, but they is also no doubt, that those two guys do more with less every single year. Ben has a great core of recievers and a Pro Bowl TE and he continues to make some of the most bone-headed throws anyone would see. The int at the end for a pick 6 against Denver and the int he threw against Dallas in OT, both interceptors said in post-game comments that they knew exactly what Ben was going to do with the ball! Maybe just a little bit of more film study should tell Ben he can't throw where the corners are expecting him to throw!

7. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Wow! You know I'm pretty sure there's an ignore feature on this message board. If you don't want to read my posts just use it. I'll continue to debate topics on this forum that I disagree with. Don't really mind weather it bothers you are not.

8. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Did they go on to win the SB? DId they even get to the SB? Isn't that the goal? Yeah, that's what I thought. The fact remains, that the very thing that Ben gets beat up about, Peyton and Brady do the same thing. You guys are high if you think QB's won't make poor decisions or poor throws just because they submerge themselves in film. And the last I checked, Ben has more SB's then Peyton. Also, Peyton had Marvin Harrison, only one of the best receivers in the league and Brady had a ton of weapons through out the years, Welker, Gronk, Moss to name a few, so lets not make it sound like they played with scrubs. And our receiving corpse as it turns out, ain't so hot.

9. darcrav

darcrav Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2012
    WHO THE HELL WOULD EVER STUDY ????

WE ALL KNOW JUST CRAM THE NIGHT BEFORE AND

ASSAULT COEDS

10. lersgofor7

lersgofor7 Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2011

Funny when Brady wasnt the centerpiece of the team they won 3 of 4 SBs.... when he is the centerpiece...they cant win one...

peyton is a stat hog but continuously underperforms on the big stage....

not taking anything away from those 2 but truth be told none of us know how much or little any of these guys watch film... and to act like you do or say hey i never see him on the sidelines looking at pictures is idiotic ...

11. darcrav

Jun 16, 2012
    YOUR MOM HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHA

really??
    come on kiddo
    TIMEOUT

12. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    [​IMG]

13. darcrav

Jun 16, 2012
    his location

of course i saw earlier today it said YOU MOM

IT IS WHAT IT IS PRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

14. TerribleTowelFlying

Oct 12, 2011
  15. lersgofor7

Dec 6, 2011
    Glad I can amuse you, but the fact is you or anyone on the message board still has no clue what or how much tape these guys "Study" ...

16. darcrav

Jun 16, 2012
    well it is very telling that ben feels he doesn't need to improve or adjust his game when HE SAYS IT
    he has always been that way in most things he has done

HELMET? I DON'T NEED NO STINKING HELMET

17. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    The bottom line Is it comes down to making plays when you have to. The outcome is magnified when you make a mistake that cost your team the game. No one remembers all the good plays leading up to the mistake. The good plays were probably the benefit of some good film study. I guess what I'm trying to say is it wouldn't hurt to be a little better prepared. Being prepared both physically and mentally would give you the greatest chance of success.

18. lersgofor7

Dec 6, 2011
    Thats great and all...but fact is no one knows what these guys do behind the scenes and to suggest ben doesnt study more film than the next guy is ridiculous...because you just dont know...its all speculation..

19. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I'm not saying I know if he does or doesn't. He has been quoted that he is not big on film though. All I'm saying is as he gets older and his mobility declines I'm pretty confident based on the things he has said in the past,he can do more to be better prepared if he so chooses.

20. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Ding, ding, ding, ding, ding...we have a winner!

As Ben ages and his body wears down he must become a more intellectual QB if he wants to continue to have the kind of success demanded in Pittsburgh which means competing for a Super Bowl.

Ben's not a big film room guy, end of argument. He's admitted it, those that have played with him have said it and his coaches have said it. Why do some still want to question that???

Ask yourself this question. Why has Ben established his reputation throughout his career on making plays AFTER THE ORIGINAL PLAY CALL HAS BROKEN DOWN? Could it be because his read and react ability is not what it should be because of a lack of preparation and film study? :shrug:

21. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I'd say it's the nano second he gets from the line which is more the cause. And saying you don't like to watch film isn't the same as "I don't watch film", I don't think many do like watching it. Also, I can't think of any QB that watches as much film as Peyton.

22. darcrav

Jun 16, 2012
    TYPICAL
    BEN DOES NO WRONG
    i expect better from you TE

23. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I'm sure Be does watch film. In fact, we've uncovered some rare footage below of Ben in the film room:

:sleep:

24. darcrav

Jun 16, 2012
  25. TerribleTowelFlying

Oct 12, 2011
    Man, I wish I could see the video interview where Ben says he doesn't watch as much film as other QB's. :popcorn:

:facepalm:

:facepalm: :facepalm:

:facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

It's clear that someone's going to believe what they're going to believe about Ben, which is why get chasing co-ed jokes and "someone said somewhere" responses to these discussions. It's entertainment, but it is what it is I guess.