1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

OL is going to be insane

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Mashburn, Apr 28, 2024.

1. Mashburn

Mashburn Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2021
    Not only a tackle who can swing to guard. Not only a center. But also one of the top underrated G, Mason McCormick.

Once they start clicking after 5 games, they'll be a beast to helping the run and pass rushing.

We will be looking good for 4 years at the line. Longer obviously, depending on their second contracts and how our cap space looks.

Also we will be looking for mobile quarterbacks in the draft next year, which I love to have, but hate to play against. Unless Fields shows value.

• Like Like x 2
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 2
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  2. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    At the very worst, we're replacing the worst center in the league and one of the worst tackles in the league. We get to move Broderick Jones back to his natural left tackle position. I know people have been saying Fautanu is a left tackle, but:
    A) his big plus in the draft was his ability to play all five positions on the o-line
    B) he regularly played right tackle in practice, so it's not a leap for him
    C) his attitude so far has been "If they say I'm a right tackle, I'm a right tackle". You can't watch an interview with the guy without being happier than hell that we picked him.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    I like what Omar said in the post draft presser, that a couple of guys on the OL were in their last year of contract and they took the guy in the 4th round. This may seem rudimentary, but I think something we have missed in previous years. Maybe it was the CAP situation, or just the way things happened over the years, but this is how you build for depth and the future. Yes there have always been stories (past and present) when someone is taken in the later rounds, steps in immediately and fills a role, we may have other needs that a guy in another position may have looked good, but they held to their board and saw the potential value not only this year, but for the future. Maybe my thoughts do not show clarity, but I'm really impressed by Omar and co. how his first two drafts have gone. Moving up when necessary, having the patience to wait this year.

I was on a live chat feed and some were screaming how we need to move up NOW, lol, if we did we would have one less Wilson.

• Like Like x 2
  4. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    it will be interesting to watch how many they keep on the line. with the rookies and anderson, herbig, cook and moore that would be 10. :cool:

• Like Like x 1
  5. Vox Ferrum

Apr 22, 2019
    I was wondering how confident they feel in Cook and Anderson, Moore does not appeal to many here, but last year of his contract and a ton of starting experience could attract some trade offers, especially if a team has a rash of injuries early in camp. Not saying its likely, but if you can get something out of a guy who is going to be a FA, then perhaps.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Jball

Jball Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    I love it. Some are saying McCormick is overkill, but believe it or not you guys, injuries on the OL do actually happen. I know it sounds crazy. As others have mentioned Daniels and Herbig are in their last year.

I would imagine this summer they will be talking to Daniels about an extension. At least they may have a contingency plan if Daniels wants more than they're willing to pay.

7. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    It doesn't matter who plays left and who plays right........if they are both playing the team is better.

• Like Like x 1
  8. 78steelers

78steelers Active Member

Nov 15, 2023
    only if steelers start rookies. I agree it does matter who plays left or right. Since both can play both.

9. Steelresolve

Steelresolve Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2022
    Exactly this is how Baltimore nd Philadelphia do it. Not only does it create a solid foundation but then you can manage the salary cap better and actually let players walk because you have somebody waiting. Then the added benefit is compensation picks which further adds to your ability to replenish for the future. Under colbert I always felt like we were chasing and desperate. The old way of thinking would have reached for an inferior player in round 4 to fill a need like a cb and that player probably wouldn’t have stuck but on paper it would have looked nice. Then you get to camp and the season and that said cb in rd 4 never lives up to expectations and then everybody craps on the player. Was it the players fault or did we unfairly overdraft the player and place those expectations on him?

Its the middle rounds where you truly build out your team. It sucks we don’t have the CB and WR rooms filled out but we just had too many holes on this roster to fill it all in one season. I feel like now we are at the point where next year we can start being more aggressive in the draft like Philadelphia is when you only have a few needs you trade up up and go after the guys you want. We couldn’t do that this year with all the holes we had and the limited draft capital.

10. Vox Ferrum

Apr 22, 2019
    It has taken 3 plus years to fix this line, with the most obvious being the last 2 through the draft. The holes you mention have been a plague for a long time, the last couple of years signing 1 and 2 year contracts to fill those holes, while doing in the draft what you said. I think Omar (with Andy) has brought a depth within the different departments that changes the approach and attitude on building a team. We lucked into a QB situation this year, not perfect, but still better than last year, different OC (has to be better than last year, lol), still think we need a solid vet number 2 R, and and CB help. but on paper this team looks more competitive than it has in sometime.

11. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    we have quite a few of those type's. friermuth, moore, najee, seumalo (age), daniels, herbig. :cool:

12. Mashburn

Mashburn Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2021
    I need to look at that as well. Lol.

13. Steelresolve

Steelresolve Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2022
    We haven’t been in position to attack weaknesses in the draft since back when Tomlin first got here and drafted Timmons and Woodley. It feels like ever since then we were always plugging holes and not upgrading. There were a few times we were positioned well but this time feels different. If Russell Wilson can pan out the buildout should be finished next year with one additional WR, DT and CB. Then in the subsequent years you position yourself to go get that next franchise QB to groom under Wilson.

14. Vox Ferrum

Apr 22, 2019
    Yea, but unless one of the younger IOL really show something, I do not think they are going to part ways with the last 3 you mentioned, if they pick up Najee;s option he's not going anywhere, Muth is a question mark for sure. I do not think he is trade bait, unless you get another player that fills a role. He doesn't fit Smith's scheme like other TE's, but if healthy I believe can still be a top tier TE in the league, and with our WR room suspect I think (as of now) plays a greater role in the rec. game than any of out TE;s in recent years.

• Like Like x 1
  15. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Mike Tomlin has already been on record in stating that Troy will play the Tackle position. Where specifically is something I'd imagine gets sorted out during both OTAs and Training Camp. Zach Frazier is the starting Center; either Nate Herbig or Mason McCormick being the backups. Rest of the Offensive Line is essentially complete.

As such, is either one of the two:

1.)
    • Left Tackle: Broderick Jones

• Left Guard: Issac Seumalo

• Center: Zach Frazier

• Right Guard: James Daniels

• Right Tackle: Troy Fautanu

or...

2.)
    • Left Tackle: Troy Fautanu

• Left Guard: Issac Seumalo

• Center: Zach Frazier

• Right Guard: James Daniels

• Right Tackle: Broderick Jones

More or less your likely Week 1 Opening Day lineups. Take your pick on which option you want. Ideally for me, I'd have option number 1 as Troy is more versatile than others think.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2024
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    Don't forget Washington is going to be helping both sides and so will pruitt. :cool:

17. RipTydz

RipTydz Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2022

I could see bringing Fautanu along slowly, sitting behind Moore, and letting Moore start initially, kind of like we did last year with Broderick Jones. However, I can also see Fautanu starting out of the gate at "Left Tackle" because I think he projects better as a left tackle as he is more nimble and finesse while Broderick Jones seems more power. Jones already has a year on the right side and while Khan said the plan was to get Jones to the left side, they didn't think a stud left tackle in Fautanu was going to be on the board instead of a right tackle (Mims/Latham). Plus, once Jones started at RT last year our running game took off so its a no brainer.

In this scenario, Moore could be our swing tackle or we can trade him for a player or draft pick before the trade deadline (which they pushed back 1 more game starting this next season), since he is up for a contract after this season and we lose him for nothing.

18. Confluence

Confluence Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2017
    Wow, so much rests on the rookies, if their play translates like I am thinking it will, we got it, for real, really liking this group, what a line

19. The Sodfather

The Sodfather Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2014
    There were times last season it appeared that Seumalo struggled, and to a lesser extent James Daniels. Having studs to their left and right will help their play, too.

20. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    I give this draft an A+. I really think they maximized their draft position without even moving.

Got to admit I was nervous about not getting Frazier about 5 picks out.

This Oline needed revamped big time and I think they got that for the two good running Backs on this roster.

• Agree Agree x 2
  21. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    I really think people are making too much of a big deal about Jones at LT. He might remain on the right side and that would be fine he played great.

I'm really looking forward to having a dawg mentality in the trenches.

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    James Daniels said that McCormick is "Nate Herbig's replacement not minds"!

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  23. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Well.. it isn't like these rookies are projects. I do agree that, generally speaking, many Rookie Offensive Lineman do enter the league without the proper refinement and discipline that they should be getting. Schools like Notre Dame, Arkansas and Iowa generally do a great job when it comes to Offensive Line instruction but such schools are too few and far between.

• Like Like x 1
  24. RichD

RichD Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2019
    Been really healthy on OL last 2 years. Doesn't go that way very long.

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016
    One more note.

It isn't just the Offensive Lineman that is going to be better, both Najee and Jaylen are gonna have so much fun this season. If anything, I am a bit surprised that the team has yet to pick up Najee's Fifth Year Option. Only major thing I see that could be a hold up is if Najee wants an extension.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1