1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Steelers Restructure OLB Alex Highsmith For $7M In Cap Space

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steelersfan43, Apr 24, 2024.

1. Mashburn

Mashburn Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2021
    I'm only disliking you because I'm tired of being connected to that guy every day.

I swear the internet will still be making threads saying we are looking at a trade in week 17.

2. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    The Steelers now have over 19 million in cap space, Khan is looking to make another big move.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    He started out as a scout. Not sure which team, 49ers maybe but he’s been in the league a long time, I’m sure he has picked some things up.

But I bet Weidl plays an important roll evaluating.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Brice

Brice

Jul 18, 2018
    Here is hoping the Steelers Do NOT use that extra cap space in the 1st 2 days of the draft. (Rounds 1 - 3)

5. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Weidl & MT are calling the shots on player evaluation. Omar has been with Steelers for twenty, he is a great cap person and negotiator.

6. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    5-6 mil for the draft. they will carry 5-6 mil into the season for injuries. then you have to pay the practice squad. not a ton of money left. around 7+ mil left unless they make another move for cash. :cool:

• Like Like x 1
  7. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    He would bring a solid addition. Not an Ayuck type but possibly they won't have to give up the 2nd rounder. If they are looking at Ayuck he will cost the 2nd and possibly a 2nd next season. It's imperative to get the center in the 1st. Maybe a small move down to grab another 3rd?

They would have to extend Heyward's contract not restructure due to him being on the last year of his deal. They might have the funds to let him play it out. Going to be 35 coming off a major groin injury. They will NOT cut him. If they do extend him it will cut down the cap hit. But if he plays it out and is not retained for 2025 that 20 large will help out resigning Wilson for 2 more years.

8. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Hoping he sticks around for a few more seasons. Invaluable addition!

Khan has been in the thick of the Steelers organization since 2001. If you think he is going to sit back and watch the others pick players I believe your mistaken. He is a new sheriff and has I believe a bit more power then you think.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2024
    • Like Like x 2
  9. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  10. 78steelers

78steelers Active Member

Nov 15, 2023
    I get it people want a receiver. For me the bigger need is Defensive line. Run defensive has gotten worse and lack of sack from anyone not named Heyward. Remember Wormley, he is last lineman to have 5 sacks or more back in 2021. Benton shows promise but outside of him there is no one on roster for the future. The 3-4 in Pittsburgh is dying. Unless the steelers change what they look for in a 3-4 end.

Get me Jeffrey Simmons!
    draft Mc Kinnley Jackson or Justin Rogers. Looking at the top ten defenses overall and top run defenses they have one thing in common. Size! at least 8 of the have a stater that is 315ls or more,some even have 2

11. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    Wilson threw 10 TD's to Sutton last year so there might be something to that.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020

it's OK - it is a MESSAGE board, an OPINION board.

I would love this kid on our roster - but if not him, there are 3-4 other talented WR's that I'd love too. Pickens needs solid #2 talent help on the other side.

Not a rookie.

some reports are saying we still do have an eye on Boyd. His demands seem to lessen each day as the clock ticks, at least, that is how I see it. He is playing Russian Roulette...

Last edited: Apr 25, 2024
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. vlad582

vlad582 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2017
    I would love this, especially if the price is right. Should be much less than BA and I think Sutton would be one of those great change of scenery additions that finds new life in black and gold. The chemistry with Russ is a nice bonus too in the short term.

14. Thor

Thor

Mar 20, 2014
    Every pick in the draft has a slot value (e.g., the 20th pick will get a 5yr/$15M contract, ~$3M/yr, per OTC). It would be difficult to significantly go over their current projected spend since trading up would involve dropping the cost of two or more picks behind it, and trading a player for picks involves said player's salary coming off the books.

• Informative Informative x 1
  15. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020

Cam is the only real $$ left, that would move this needle.

think they are done.

16. Brice

Brice

Jul 18, 2018
    No, I am worried we trade one of the early round draft picks away for a player like a WR, that they needed the extra money for.

This talk about trading the Steelers 1st round pick for Aiyuk is just pissing the hell out of me. If they want to waste a 1st round pick on a WR, then just draft one, and save yourself $100 million over the next 4 years.

17. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    still curious why they freed up this $$. Some post draft deal still in the works? Khan still has work do to, doing a GREAT JOB this week, however.

short of trades, this is the draft most of us expected, wanted.

found our 2 OL-men for the next 10 years, we all hope!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. Lambert

Lambert Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2015
    A bunch of guys have expiring contracts this year, including Muth, Harris, Daniels, Jackson and others. Maybe they want to work some extensions.

• Like Like x 1
  19. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020

good call

maybe too for Jaylen Warren?

He is my #1 for a long term deal

20. Lambert

Lambert Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2015
    Yeah, Warren, too. I didn't include him because he's an RFA.

I'd like to see 5 more players added at CB, S, DL, OLB, WR. They have a 4, 6, 6 and UDFAs today. It's possible after all of that, they do go back and add a FA/Trade at one of those spots they didn't improve in the draft. For example, if they don't add another WR today, Boyd still needs a home and his price has to be coming down.

21. Brice

Brice

Jul 18, 2018
    Looking back at this restructure to save $7 million by simply turning his 2024 salary into GTD Bonus money for future years cost expense was this a mistake? Why exactly did the Steelers need this $7 million.

Future Cap Cost for Alex Highsmith post Restructure.
    2025 $18,602,000
    2026 $20,102,000
    2027 $21,102,000

IF Alex puts up another 7 sack season in 2024 like he did in 2023, will Nick Herbig take over as the starter and Alex Highsmith move to backup? From what has been reported Nick Herbig is looking like he is ready to make the jump to Starting OLB this year if the Steelers give him a chance. I think there may be a good chance that by the end of the year Herbig will be TJ Watts partner in crime on the Starting Defense.

It has been reported that it looks like Herbig has put on muscle this offseason that should help him see more time in run packages.
    https://heavy.com/sports/nfl/pittsburgh-steelers/nick-herbig-nfl-offseason-workouts/

Barring Injury; Eventually Nick Herbig is going to start eating into Alex Highsmith's playing time this year.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2024
    • Informative Informative x 2
  22. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020

may the BEST man win - because that is best for the STEELERS.

love both kids, great for us as fans.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  23. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    It the draft pick, the 30 million plus and what guaranteed money he commands. If they would do this, then I don't see Pickens in their future plans, it's not even what CAP space they may have, its who else they have to sign and putting CAP money into one position. I'm not saying I'm for or against, this year will take care of itself, then they do proceed from there.

• Like Like x 1
  24. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    yea, i don't see the downside. You really don't have to think about paying Nick for 2 more years (even then he is under contract for 3 more years). Not the worst position to have 3 guys of this caliber in your line up.

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    correct

maybe we trade one down the road.

or - MAYBE - BIG MAYBE - TJ becomes the odd man out in 2-3 more years.

he is not getting any younger.

the game is tough on guys.....

no decisions need to be made for at least 2 more seasons

• Like Like x 1