1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

official 2024 draft day thread

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by mac daddyo, Apr 25, 2024.

1. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Of course not but you can use that logic for the other 31 teams. Those in charge have to decide which is the most important position we need filled regardless how many other positions need help.

Not for nothing, I'm still hoping for a QB. I don't trust what we have.

2. jasper04

jasper04 Well-Known Member

Apr 26, 2012
    And have what? one year on his contract, the higher priced 5th year option. When is he getting playing time? How does he develop? When you dig in a bit it's a REALLY bad pick at 8th besides Kirk's contract! Hate to say this, that was just stupid! With the 8th pick?!?!?! WTF!

3. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    This is not saying the pick won't be good....I have never said that, but think on this......If we have other holes, and yet those positions have not even been picked yet in the draft because of all the Qbs taken before us. Which has the higher chances of working out.....taking the 3, or 4th tackle left, or one of the other positions we need that haven't even been drafted at all yet....so all of them are left to pick???

4. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020

yes - this was my rant on BPA earlier in the week

it is never just pure BPA - it is BPA with what your team needs and your specific areas of need

• Like Like x 1
  5. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    If we had drafted a center or WR at #20 I might agree that we took the same strategy that we did with Burns and Jarvis (which I agree were reaches for need -as was trading up for Bush). We didn’t fill one of those more immediate day 1 starter needs. That tells me that Fautanu is a guy that they had ranked very high. Higher than the corners.

• Like Like x 2
  6. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    See this is what most people are hung up with what I'm saying. They think it is just about the CBs. Hell I only had 2 CBs for the 1st round. There was many other positions that hadn't even been drafted that I also had for the 1st. Also just like last night...Burns, Edmunds were not the 1st at their position taken....,,but they were taken anyway just because we thought we must take that position.
    Be honest. Just by chances.....do You think the 5th tackle taken, or another position of need on the team ....that hadn't even been drafted at yet would given us the best chance at filling that position with a great player???
    Again. I'm not saying He won't be good, or great.

7. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    no penix in 3 years.:cool:

8. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    It would be hilarious if Penix goes on to be a top NFL QB... and all other QBs taken in first round busted.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    spencer is still on the board. :hehehe::cool:

10. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    I could see Steelers drafting Rattler with one of the 3rd round picks! :eek:

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  11. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    and probably move him to center. :smiley1::cool:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Steelresolve

Steelresolve Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2022
    What was his injury history? If it was extensive what is surprising is he doesn’t even wear knee braces like most Oline man do. I wanted a Cb with all of them sitting there but I think they were pretty high on this guy. I think they don’t want any excuses for this offense this year. I could see draft capital going into the offense with the next two picks as well.

13. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    You guys are missing the obvious. The QB we’ll get from this draft is Caleb Williams. Chicago is our QB pipeline now.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. Steelresolve

Steelresolve Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2022
    STD I usually agree with you but on this one I don’t think there was any desperation on the Steelers part here. This guy was rated in the top 10-15 overall picks by mosts analyst and scouts in this draft. The Steelers had him rated in their top 10. I think they clearly had him ahead of all of the CB’s and Barton at Center. You also have to look at what they can draft in the rest of the rounds. If they think there is better depth at CB and they can pick one of those guys up in the later rounds but they can’t pick up an OT in the later rounds then it makes sense for them to make this move. Regarding Center, part of this is about positional value. Centers, RB’s and typically TE’s aren’t regarded as positions you draft in the first round. I get it you have some guys that transcend above that but generally when certain positions aren’t regarded as high that means you can get value at those positions in the later rounds because the rest of the league generally views those positions that way, guys at those positions, as a result fall. Lets hope that happens with one of the Centers today.

I will say my initial reaction was darn I really wanted one of those three CB’s when they were there but after reviewing all of this today I understand why they made the pick they did. The other thing here is with how ridiculous the league has become from a rules and officiating standpoint its really hard to play good defense now. I think you are going to start to see a trend where more value is going to be placed on offensive players. Why invest the money on a defensive player when you can barely even play defense today in the NFL. It sucks...I hate it but that seems to be where the league is trending.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    Yes. I’ve seen drafts where there were positions that had no players worth a first round pick. I did not have time to do more than a handful of my own film assessments for this draft, but going back and watching him this AM I think he’s a really solid prospect. I like him better on film than some tackles who went ahead of him that I watched (Mims, Fuaga, Fashanu). I liked Latham better and didn’t watch Alt.

• Like Like x 1
  16. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    It starts at 7:00EST

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012
    Didnt know where to post this....[​IMG]Whomp, Whomp, Whoommpp

18. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    And none of those guys you mentioned were considered top 15 prospects by most people not just Jeremiah, so what if he's the 3rd or 4th rated tackle, he was the highest rated player on their board available. It's obvious they want to build the trenches, so just because there were BPA at other positions doesn't mean much. They weren't going to draft the BPA at ILB, safety, or even center at #20.

19. Steelersfan43

Steelersfan43 Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2016
  20. steel machine

Sep 21, 2017
    I hope it's not an hour of talk. I saw that ESPN starts at 7 but thought it would be talk before draft starts.

21. Ender

Ender

Apr 5, 2014
    You and I agree the kid is a tremendous athlete. We disagree that he has a position on this current Steelers team.

Of the five possible OL positions, LT, LG, C, RG, RT, which is he playing this year?

The Steelers brass say he’s a “tackle” right now, but which one? They also say they want to move Jones to LT.

So is this kid the starting RT? We took a RT at 20 who is under 6’4” and has adequate arm length of 34” when the prototype for RT is 2-3 inches taller, 20 lbs heavier, and has 36” arms? Do you draft an undersized over achiever type guy at 20? it was cool with Beachum, but he was a 7th round pick. He played all of 2 snaps at RT in college by the way so I would think there will be an adjustment period in his kick step and drops. It may not be plug and play at RT.

is he the starting LT? Does that mean they wasted capital moving up for a LT last year that’s destined to be a RT even though his “natural” position is on the left side? We kinda just watched this unfold with Dotson. This also means that assuming the new kid beats out Moore in camp that you’re keeping Moore as backup LT? Not swing tackle because Moore can’t play RT, but as a backup LT? Or do we trust Cook to be the swing tackle?

is he the starting C? He has the build and athleticism to be a great one, but I can’t find any evidence of him ever snapping in a game. Admittedly I am still stinging from the Kendrick Green debacle, but maybe this is the best scenario?

is he the starting RG? Daniels moves to center? I’m not the only person that thinks this kid is a potential pro bowl guard.

is he the starting LG? Seamolu moves to center? Or Seamolu just slides into the Herbig role as interior backup?

I don’t have an answer to the question of what position he plays on this Steelers team as it’s currently constituted. Do you? All I’ve heard from Tomlin is “he’s a tackle for now”.

I don’t think it’s nonsense at all to say he has no position. How does he help right now? I get that they had him in their top ten overall, they really like him, and that they know more than me. I just wanted some immediate help considering we only have these two new QBs for one year as we sit here today and Heyward, Watt, and Minkah are aging.

Mitchell at corner or Barton at center were immediate help and would have filled holes that still exist as of right now.

He’s here now so I hope he becomes a dominant ten-year player. But let’s not ignore that he played in a weak conference, he will be a 24-year old rookie, he’s smaller than prototype first round OTs, and he’s an awkward fit on this Steelers team as it’s currently constituted.

22. steel machine

Sep 21, 2017
    So they give Cousins a big contract and take Penix. I think that terrible choke in the SB has had long lasting effects;)

23. jasper04

jasper04 Well-Known Member

Apr 26, 2012
    Agree. Don't sell Cook short He's no slouch! If we didn't take Fautanu and took a C in the 1st instead for me Cook is my starting RT mow mater what T we would draft.

24. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    supposedly he had an ankle injury his freshmen year. He became a full time starter in 2022 and hasn’t missed a game since. Someone in this thread claimed he had fractured legs or some such crap, but there aren’t any reports out there about it and he didn’t miss a game for two years

25. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012

An udfa that’s never taken a snap?