1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Anybody else dumbfounded on the amount of holes we have?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steelresolve, Apr 20, 2024.

1. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Brady did that to most teams. If your corners are not good at man and zone it limits what they can do effectively.:cool:

2. Steelresolve

Steelresolve Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2022
    The Ravens always played him well.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Steelresolve

Apr 16, 2022
    I know. But when we played those high powered offenses thats when we struggled. We rarely ever got ahead of them to run the clock out.

4. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I agree, but the reason is, and this is something I always try to point out....We have been, and will be built for our division. You can't build for ....let's say the Patriots....1. You may not even face them that year...., and if You can't beat the teams in Your division what good does it do to build for a team You won't get to face in the playoffs if You can't get by Your division. That's why styles make the fights/games. We can't build to beat the Chiefs.....We must build to beat the 3 teams We play two times a year.....every year 1st, and foremost, and then see what happens. It's way different if You play in a division where You are the only good team....., but this division has put more 3 teams in the playoffs than any other division.
    Furthermore....I would like to add....Belicheck has never beaten in his day... Lamar Jackson, or Cam Newton.....We have only lost to them added together....once. styles make the Fight/Games

Last edited: Apr 22, 2024
    • Like Like x 1
  5. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    They only need 5-6 million for the draft picks, they can create more cap space if they need it by doing some restructures.

6. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

There is a plan. His name is George Pickens.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Mind you this is the same Andrew that fully endorsed Kenny Pickett over Tyler Linderbaum... only to reverse course.

Does he have a point?! Sure. Are there still needs that need to be addressed?! Absolutely. Can the draft fill some of those needs?! Most definitely.

• Like Like x 1
  8. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Pickens can't do it alone, that's why trading Diontae left a big hole on the roster.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Mind you I am talking about replacing Johnson as a number 1 WR. I didn't account for Pickens being able to carry the load all by himself.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. jasper04

jasper04 Well-Known Member

Apr 26, 2012
    I have to totally agree with you on this one, and yes I am dumbfounded also right now.

As SteelResolve has stated You can't just blame a couple of things. It was like a perfect storm that caught us.

Actually the only other thing to add, and maybe the biggest factor outside of Canada keeping his job is, COVID!! It just caused a wrecking ball effect on our team. A true ripple effect. It just magnified EVERYTHING.

I mean come on, who saw a reduced cap coming right after maybe keeping Ben one year too long, causing us to lose what 6 starters that year to keep Ben? There is plenty of blame to lay at peoples feet. I just can't pick where to put the heaviest pile on which feet per say.

Allen.

11. jasper04

jasper04 Well-Known Member

Apr 26, 2012
    Cook and Anderson just my save our butts this season. Your right, there is a reason we protected these two by keeping them on the 53 all season.

Allen.

12. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Bad drafting and team building over a sustained period is why the roster has so many holes. We had five poor drafts in a row between 2018-2022. It’s very hard to sustain success when you’re not backfilling your roster with guys that can contribute. I would add that the Minkah trade was excellent during that time however.

From what we have seen the 2023 draft was good, if they can continue that trend they will be back in business very quickly.

The big question is what they are doing long term at QB

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. Steelers-MT

Steelers-MT Well-Known Member

Nov 9, 2017
    After months of reading countless draft posts, I would personally try to trade down and draft a Center around 27.
    Just my 2 cents.
    With the extra 3rd round pick, Steelers will be able to fill in some holes.

14. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    upload_2024-4-23_7-56-12.png

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  15. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    they also added tyler beach last year. from wisconsin. i do think he is more destined to play guard though. :cool:

• Like Like x 1
  16. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020

yes - they did, so did the Jets (Rex Ryan). you need to know how to COACH

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020

agreed - but again, for umpteenth time - DJ produced LITTLE. Go look at the numbers.

enough said.

very talented kid, little production

he was no Hines Ward. He was a solid #2 - never to be a true #1, for many reasons.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2024
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020

irregardless is not a word. :cool:

the DJ move is easily understood - you make the case why. 1) future contract, 2) attitude, 3) swap for another high priority need basically - CB

19. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    It’s in the dictionary so I’m irregarding that comment

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  20. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    Yep, they’re hardly going to say “we’re terrified about our lack of depth at key positions.”

That said, I wonder if they’re more content with the o-line than they should be.

I’m pleased they haven’t overspent on WR, even if it does leave a gap. I’m not keen on any of the current FAs other than Aiyuk, and he’s too expensive at the moment.

21. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020

urban legend dictionary?

it ain't no word.

"Is irregardless a proper word? Is "Irregardless" A Real Word? Irregardless is sometimes incorrectly used instead of regardless, but is not usually considered correct in Standard English, as the negative prefix ir- merely duplicates the suffix -less and as such is redundant"

22. Steelresolve

Apr 16, 2022
    Im talking second Receiver

23. Steelresolve

Apr 16, 2022
    Absolutely I agree. However the thing that made Belicheck amazing during their reign was their ability to transition (even within the game) to exploit your weaknesses. One game they could throw for 500 yards and then the next game they could pound the ball for 200. Same on defense. One game they come out in a heavy zone defense the next game they play heavy man. If you watch the Documentary on them they went from a man coverage team to a zone team against the Rams I think it was in the Super Bowl and shut them down. The Rams never expected the Patriots to completely change up their defense. The one thing Cowher and Tomlin don’t have that Belicheck had is the courage to impart that change in a short amount of time and take that risk to maximize your chances to win. It was maddening to play zone continually against Brady and get carved up. Everyone knew it was coming and we would never change up the defense. From a personal standpoint I always felt like we were 1 high pedigree CB short of beating them.

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020

We have played against Lamar how many times?

5, if I read correctly, below? and we have lost to them / him twice, correct - in 2019? so, 3-2 vs. Lamar, so to speak. Is that correct?

He has been injured or out several times,
    We do play Harbaugh well - it is not all Lamar. The Steelers get free rent in Johnny's head, my Ravens friends hate it. Johnny is our BEST FRIEND in the Division!

2018 - we did not play vs. him
    2019 - lost twice
    2020 - one game he played, we beat them
    2021 - one game he played, we beat them
    2022 - no games against Lamar
    2023 - one game and we won

But yes - WIN the DIVISION while, ALL THE WHILE - know that you will face the Chiefs, or the Bills or back in the day, the Patriots. You'd better be able to SCHEME and ADJUST accordingly

it takes GREAT COACHING to do this. We have had good coaching, but not GREAT.

25. Steelresolve

Apr 16, 2022
    In todays NFL you have to be able to adapt and change things up. I saw that last year with the Chiefs. In the playoffs they went into smash mouth football mode because they knew they couldn’t completely rely on the passing game. Good coaches and teams are able to make those and of transitions week to week depending on who they are playing.

• Agree Agree x 3