1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

AB's six year run.(2013-2018)

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Jball, Mar 27, 2024.

1. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Brown played his entire career with one, too, though Montana and Young were better. Rice was just on another level.

2. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Agreed. Also, Shazier's injury played a huge role in scuttling what was arguably their best team during that era.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    I don't dispute Rice was a great/HOF WR. My opinion is Rice achieved "another level" because he played with back to back HOF QBs.

4. Steelersfan43

Steelersfan43 Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2016
    Rice was great no matter what,the best ever,no matter who was his QB....I mean,just look at the stats below

5. BURGH43STEL

Oct 23, 2011
    I didn't argue JRs greatness. 24 games doesn't define a career. Rice would be less productive playing with lesser QBs. Playing with back to back HOF QBs enhanced Rice's overall production. That's the simple point I made.

IMO the best "ever" at any position in football is debatable and ultimately boils down to an opinion.

You are entitled to your opinion.

6. Steelersfan43

Aug 10, 2016
    His 24 games plus his raiders career when he was very old just proves that Rice could product big time,no matter who was his QB...This is that simple

7. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    AB really only dominated with Ben.

AB freelanced on his routes just like Ben freelanced on plays, and it somehow worked when it was both of them together.

• Like Like x 1
  8. vasteeler

vasteeler Well-Known Member

Mar 29, 2016
    If only or defense wasn't so bad when we had him

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020

they weren't THAT bad. they fell in the middle tier. they were never bottom third of the league, even when they were rebuilding.

as my (soon to be published - wink wink) Book states, Ben and AB and Lev and Tomlin failed. they failed to dominate and blow teams away, taking PRESSURE OFF of the defense. they struggled to be a top offense even with all that talent. they struggled to consistently score 30 points a game. they sputtered for years inside the 20. it was the Wasted Years.

the D CARRIED and made Ben early in his career - when he and MTomlin had to step up and dominate on that side of the ball, they could not.

AB was amazing and there were other WR's and a great TE to compliment him.

just could never put it all together to get that bunch to the SB, much less AFCCG's (except 1)

10. BURGH43STEL

Oct 23, 2011
    As I wrote, 24 games doesn't define a career. No one ever questions Rice's production, greatness, or HOF status.

Let me dummy it down for you. Rice benefited because he played for back to back HOF QBs. How many WRs in the history of the NFL played with back to back HOF QBs?

100% fact - the NFL is a QB driven league.

11. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Rice played more of his career without a Hall of Fame quarterback than Brown did. Whether it was one of them or two of them doesn't matter.

Rice also started his career in the mid-80s, when the game wasn't as pass-heavy as it is now. In the 2023 season, 12 players caught over 100 passes. In 1985, Rice's rookie season, there were none.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2024
    • Like Like x 1
  12. BURGH43STEL

Oct 23, 2011
    You are entitled to your OPINION.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  13. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    The facts support my opinion.

14. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020

facts and opinion get muddled in today's world. facts without proper perspective can become lies.

as in: lies, damn lies and statistics.

for example, statistics (Facts) in the the AFC South mean nothing to me, compared to the AFC N. the N is far superior.

so - we must be wise in using your facts. most people are not wise.

data w/o proper perspective is USELESS.

15. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    AB....only actually played with back to back HOF Qbs. Ben, and then Brady. He never even scored a td without one , or the other.

16. Ytownsteeler

Ytownsteeler Well-Known Member

Oct 2, 2015
    When I think of AB, I think of amazing production and some wonderful memories. Then he became a Ocho Cinco clone clown and ruined his own career. Cant help but compare to Bell who destroyed his own career by not taking our contract offer and then sitting out a year and running to that awesome franchise...the JETS. Both had awesome steeler careers and shot themselves in the foot.

17. Steelersfan43

Aug 10, 2016
    Chad Johnson has never been this bad...Very few players had become bad like AB off the field at the end

18. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    He only played 10 games as a Steeler without Roethlisberger. Three of those were in 2010, his rookie season, when Brown didn't play much. His last two games without Roethlisberger, he caught six passes for 124 yards and seven passes for 106 yards. (See? I can focus only on the statistics that fit my argument at the time while leaving out the rest, too.)

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  19. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Still didn't change one thing I said , but somehow maybe making You feel better. He still never caught a TD from anyone, but Ben, and Brady no matter how many words you write, or how You try saying it. So ......:shrug:

Last edited: Apr 9, 2024
  20. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Your statement makes a false assertion about Brown by using a tiny sample size and using only one statistical measure while ignoring those that don't fit your argument.

21. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    How dumb is what You just said???
    Nothing I said is false. What You read into it is a You thing. I said He never caught a TD from anyone, but Brady, and Ben....both who will be HOF Qbs. So stop Your crying. Again how ever much word salad you say changes not one thing I said....nor does it make what I said false. He still has only caught a TD from Brady, and Ben.
    :shrug:
    You are the one making it a argument. I wasn't arguing.
    I simply made a statement....that was 100% true, and You are trying to make some far reaching argument out of it.....Yet again no matter what You write after this .....doesn't change what I said . He still only caught TDs from Brady, and Ben

22. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
  23. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Pointing out your false assertions is not crying. This is part of an old argument you have made trying to diminish Brown in particular and receivers in general. Are you going to lie now and claim otherwise?

24. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Imagine if Dhop played with HOF QB’s, he’d be pushing Rice for best ever.

He’s the only guy I can think of that put up great numbers with some pretty average to bad QB’s outside of Watson throwing to him.

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Ok cryboy.....here is what started Your whole stupid whining crap......Now point to the false assertions.....this is what I wrote that You started all this crap....so point it out.
    Otherwise shut up about it.