1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Free Agency Thread

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Blast Furnace, Mar 5, 2024.

1. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    That for sure. I can't recall who might have been available, but long term signed good contracts, there seemed to be few good short term buffers, and they got more than we were willing to pay. In recent years we have seen rookie C;s come in and do a terrific job, but to bank on that no one in reserve who has any real trail os success. let alone starts in the position is foolish. I know the names mentioned on the roster have had some experience in the position, and perhaps there is enough inside knowledge to have some confidence, but this has been going on for 3 years.

2. Wolfepack88

Wolfepack88 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2022
    Particularly troubling for an organization that had some legendary centers, we almost now have to go first round if we definitely want one of the top guys vs hoping they make it to round 2.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. 78steelers

78steelers Active Member

Nov 15, 2023
    we do not have to spend a high pick on a center.
    the answer are the New orleans saints.
    want a center Eric Mcoy
    want a right tackle Ryan Ramczyk
    want a corner back Marshon Lattimore or Paulson Adebo

Why would the trade any of these players 73 million reasons why (that is what they over the cap next year and already restructured most of their team)
    First 3 would have to June 1 trades to benefit the saints

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Other guys like Cushenberry and Biadasz were more expensive, but there were a decent number of guys available and it makes little sense that the Steelers didn't make a serious push to get any of them. Given how little Morse got, i do not see that as a serious attempt by the Steelers.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Didn't Morse get 5 million a year? That's steep if you planning on drafting a center to start his rookie year.

6. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    A) A lot of people assume we didn't make a "serious" push for any centers. We don't know what happened behind closed doors.
    B) If we had made the serious push people wanted, we may not have Queen or either of our first two QBs for next year. There's only one GM to go around.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Not really. He got a two-year deal. That keeps the pressure off the rookie to start from day one. Mike Webster didn't start as a rookie (though he shared time with Ray Mansfield.) Neither did Dermontti Dawson. It's not the worst thing in the world if the first-round pick gets a little time to develop. Also, it takes the pressure off them to draft one of the top rookie centers, which could help if a tackle or receiver they love falls to them at 20.

• Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  8. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    We know they had Morse in and he didn't sign for overwhelming money. Khan had the time to make the move. He chose not to do so.

9. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Or let's see what we have on our own roster with OL, Cb's, Safety's, Centers. DL we need to find out if they can play.

10. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Pouncey started at center his rookie year in 2010.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I know, but I was providing examples to illustrate why it wasn't terrible if they draft a guy early and he doesn't start immediately. Dawson is the better example because he was a second-round pick.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Thor

Thor

Mar 20, 2014
    True, but if a Cushenberry or Biadasz was signed, they become your starter for the next 2-3 years, maybe more. They cost more in cash, but save on draft capital, enabling it to be invested on a different position.

13. 78steelers

78steelers Active Member

Nov 15, 2023
    if could see your point about CB's. Mc Coy, Ramczyk and Lattimore are top 10 players at their positions and are better than we have on the roster.

14. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    yes - some here think Khan is somehow 'done'

LOL!!!!

15. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020

I am sure he is still on the 'list'

right player, right price.

he and his agent may come their senses, when all else fails.

just like Lamar Jackson did with the Ravens last year.

16. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020

well, COLBERT and TOMLIN hampered the team by allowing it!

17. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    Or Morse didn't like the situation he'd be stepping into and decided to take the Jacksonville offer as it was a better fit for him long term?

• Informative Informative x 1
  18. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Agreed. I would have been happy to see them draft either guy and not have to draft a center at all. They could have done that with Morse, too, because he is at least a solid option.

19. Vox Ferrum

Apr 22, 2019
    The thing is they may be all right with 2 or 3 guys, we honestly do not know how their board or scouting has set it up, but you also are in a place (if you are set on one guy over others) and moving down is a gamble you do not want to take. IDK if there will be a huge rush on C, but we have put ourselves in a place where you can't miss.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Vox Ferrum

Apr 22, 2019
    That is the head scratcher, as someone said, Morse had the freedom as well. last stop, maybe wanted a warmer climate, so you have that, but it is a mystery.

• Like Like x 1
  21. Brice

Brice

Jul 18, 2018
    Breaking news AB is reporting that the Steelers are closing in on a deal with Safety Justin Simmons. I like the Warning at the beginning...

Antonio Brown says Steelers are adding S Justin Simmons (msn.com)
    Take this information for what it's worth but former Pittsburgh Steelers wide receiver Antonio Brown says a deal will be done soon to bring safety Justin Simmons to Pittsburgh. Keep in mind, that Brown did first have the news that the Texans were trading for wide receiver Stefon Diggs and also predicting the Steelers signing Russell Wilson.

• Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  22. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I like Justin Simmons…. Or I should say liked Simmons when he was drafted and then for a handful of years after, but I haven’t kept track of him recently. I’m thinking that we have our SS in Elliott to pair with Minkah already, but adding another savvy vet to the room would be great for the right price.

23. Brice

Brice

Jul 18, 2018
    This was the backfield that he talked about in the Video, with Minka being a "Star" back and playing all over the field.

upload_2024-4-8_18-11-23.png

• Like Like x 1
  24. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    It's obvious their plan is for a rookie center to start this season, 5 million for Morse to sit the bench is a bit much, Pouncey and Green started as rookies.

25. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    I think it was Chad Johnson who had Russell Wilson to the Steelers.

• Agree Agree x 1