1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

FIELDS A STEELER

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Blast Furnace, Mar 16, 2024.

1. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I have issues with his performance, his words and his behaviors. I don't know Kenny Pickett, other than what we've seen on the field and in front of the cameras. For all I know he's probably a nice guy and somebody I'd share a meal with at Cracker Barrel.

And by the way, what did he say nice about Rudolph when Mason was demonstrating to all of us what competent quarterback play looks like? I must've missed that. All I heard was that he couldn't learn anything watching Mason play and that HE and not Mason was going to start if he had been healthy.

2. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Yup. They are actually good friends, Rudolph called him a “dear friend”.

People hear what they want to hear though.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    You could put Mahomes on the Bears and he wouldn't have been successful either, he would probably have less turnovers than Fields, but he would struggle with that roster and not win games.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    You go ahead , and believe that. I know it makes some feel better. The only thing the Bears do wrong is pick terribly at the Qb position. Just like the Steelers have done the last time. What You said is what everyone said about Texans, and Cincinnati.....yet as soon as both got a real Qb ......wham.....magically they both got good.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  5. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    Washington? When did that happen?

6. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Most Qbs generally like one another, and rarely talk badly about each other. They consider themselves as friends in an elite brotherhood.

7. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I was fixing that , but You quoted Me before I could. I meant Texans.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Watch full games, not just highlights. There are plenty of YouTube videos out there that show every throw, run and sack by Fields for full games. It’s very easy to find and watch what’s needed to evaluate what he does (and doesn’t do) consistently, not just what he does every once in a while on a highlight reel.

There are very good reasons why we were able to get him for a 6th while other recent trades involving franchise QBs have involved multiple 1st round picks plus other capital as compensation. Those reasons are easy to see if you just look.

• Winner Winner x 1
  9. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    GEEZZZZ!!!!!!! This 100%^^^^^^^

10. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    He never mentioned Rudolph in those comments. You are projecting that because you have this odd need for him to be a bad guy. Congratulations on being suckered by the Steelers, who want the fans blaming Pickett rather than questioning their dishonesty or the fact that they went from saying he is their franchise guy to giving up on him in less than a year.

11. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    That, and they allow themselves to be suckered in by the leaks and messaging put out there by a team using him as a scapegoat.

12. JackAttack 5958

Oct 18, 2011
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't you a Steelers fan? I've always viewed the Steelers as a pretty classy organization and Mike Tomlin as a pretty high character guy (even though I think he has some flaws as a head coach). I would say that if you did a survey that most of the NFL would view the Steelers as one of the most reputable organizations in the entire NFL, from the ownership on down. Now you're saying that the Steelers are making an intentional effort to sucker their fan base into believing that an irrelevant quarterback is a bad guy. LOL...mmmkay.:thumbs up:

Last edited: Mar 21, 2024
  13. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    You keep talking about the team’s dishonesty. Have you got confirmed statements that were lies? I’ve seen plenty of statements that can be interpreted more than one way. What is there that’s an outright lie?

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. Thor

Thor

Mar 20, 2014
    Yeah, one does have to give pause and consider how the Steelers handled the transition from Ben to Kenny before getting too excited about grabbing a Fields and proclaiming the Bears didn't do a good job with his development. o_O

15. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    You can view them however you like, but teams lie. General managers lie. Head coaches lie. The Steelers are better than most organizations, but that is a low bar, and they have done things far worse than leak some details to make an outgoing player look bad. It didn't take much effort. There isn't even that much information out there, but people like you are running with it.

Irrelevant quarterback? That's funny given how much people post about him here. He was a first-round pick two years ago. He was their long-term quarterback with a chance to be a franchise guy a year ago. He was still their starter just a few months ago. He is not irrelevant to the current status of the franchise.

I never said Tomlin was the one doing the leaking, but it clearly came from the team. This is a franchise that didn't blink in standing by Roethlisberger when he was facing two rape allegations, though one of those was mostly debunked. They didn't even blink when James Harrison was accused of domestic abuse. Even at the franchise's pinnacle in the '70s, there are former players who have accused them of being among the league's worst offenders when it comes to steroids. The Steelers do a lot right, but they are far from perfect. Why do you not know that? At least I can be honest about my favorite team.

16. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    What would it take to confirm that? Would Tomlin and Khan have to step forward and say they had lost faith in Pickett by the end of last season? They are never going to do that. They don't have to. A few strategic leaks were more than enough to turn a huge chunk of the fanbase against him.

Tomlin said this was a big year for Pickett, then changed his tune. Khan said they still had full faith and confidence in Pickett. You don't trade the guy if you have that kind of confidence in him. There was a Rooney quite that turned out to be BS, too, but I don't remember exactly what it was.

17. JackAttack 5958

Oct 18, 2011
    Not looking for perfection, but as a fan since 1975 I think the Steelers strive to stand by their players and do the right thing by them. It goes back to Art Rooney, Sr. reserving a spot on the roster for Rocky Bleier when his foot was nearly blown off in Vietnam all the way up to Ryan Shazier whose contract was honored and even extended when the Steelers could've cut bait. The Steelers have also been notorious for keeping aging veterans on the roster two years longer than they should've because of loyalty. Kenny Pickett decided he wanted nothing more to do with best and most loyal organization in all of sport. As you know, I'd come to believe that Kenny was not the brightest bulb in the chandelier, but I thought he was smarter than that. If he had decided to stick around, pay his dues and ultimately get another opportunity to start, he may have been beloved by the fan base. No chance of that now.

And as far as relevance goes...Kenny Pickett is now the real Mr. Irrelevant from the 2022 draft, not Brock Purdy.

18. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Maybe “lie” is too harsh a word but there was a whole lot of blowing of the smoke up ones ass going on. You can forgive Tomlin for saying it was s huge year for Pickett, it came right after the season ended but Khans emphatic “I have full faith in Kenny Pickett” is hard to take in any other way than total bs. That was said just two weeks ago. Guess what, you don’t trade QB’s in this league under favorable contracts that you believe in. volunteers not hostages be damned.

Add in the report that Pickett was told Wilson was starting, hard to blame him for feeling betrayed.

Who cares though, one of the most exciting off seasons we’ve had in years, Kenny and Rudolph are gone and they have put together a very exciting and dynamic QB room. I’m still hopping they add a QB in the draft. Give yourself as many chances as you can to find that next franchise guy.

19. JackAttack 5958

Oct 18, 2011
    I think I remember Rudolph saying that. But what I asked was, did Kenny say anything positive about Rudolph at the end of last season when Rudolph was inserted as the starter and went on the hot streak? Again, I may have missed it but all I heard was comments that didn't seem to be very positive at all toward Rudolph. :shrug:

20. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Lotta of :duel:

Me?!

:popcorn:

21. JackAttack 5958

Oct 18, 2011
    That entire narrative is ridiculous. Kenny will not go far in the NFL or in life if he has a victimhood mentality. As I've said before (probably way too many times at this point, lol), Kenny did nothing to earn any deference from the Steelers. He underperformed for two full seasons and somehow he feels that he was entitled to the QB1 designation going into camp and felt betrayed because Tomlin decided Wilson would have that designation? Make it make sense.

22. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    This showed up in my FB page, not even a member or subscribed. Have no idea when it was written, or by who, but this guy think Fields market is a 6 year 283 million contract, lmao.

<iframe src="https://www.facebook.com/plugins/po...koCKWz7G4BLJpE2jCjHl&show_text=true&width=500" width="500" height="633" style="border:none;overflow:hidden" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen="true" allow="autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; picture-in-picture; web-share"></iframe>

23. jeh1856

jeh1856 Nap time

Oct 26, 2011
    No he does not

It’s his made up conspiracy theory

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  24. jeh1856

jeh1856 Nap time

Oct 26, 2011
    Any chance you have anything even slightly new on this subject

• Winner Winner x 1
  25. JackAttack 5958

Oct 18, 2011
    I got nothing. :shrug:

But...neither do the guys that say Steelers lied, Kenny was betrayed, blah, blah, blah!