1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Pickett traded to Eagles

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by uncblue012, Mar 15, 2024.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    The sooner Kenny realizes that he is THE MAN (until somebody better comes along) the better off he’ll be. In professional sports, the team you play for is always looking for somebody better to replace you. Kenny seems to think he’s entitled to a position that he hasn’t earned. Lou Holtz once said that adversity will make you bitter or better. Seems like Kenny is pretty bitter at this point because of the Steelers decision to try to upgrade the quarterback position.

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. jeh1856

jeh1856 Nap time

Oct 26, 2011
    Good lord

Some off you do like making up conspiracy rather than just looking at the facts on your own

• Like Like x 1
  3. JackAttack 5958

Oct 18, 2011
    Idiots? Come on now, jeh. There are multiple reports that he refused to dress and there are other reports that say he didn’t. If you’ve ever dealt with passive aggressive people, they have a way of manipulating situations to get their way. So while Kenny may not have explicitly refused, he may have pouted and sulked around until he ultimately got his way. None of us know what truly happened, but it’s not a stretch to believe it given some of his words and actions over the last few months.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. jeh1856

jeh1856 Nap time

Oct 26, 2011
    None of us know what truly happened

You said it

But that is not stopping you and many others of spewing it as god given fact

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    I wasn't saying that you were criticizing the comments, nor do I have to justify their actions... their actions were fine (and tbh probably handled pretty well all things considered). The only thing I disagreed with at all was the "lied to" to part (especially regarding the fans). We as fans can't be naive enough to think that the Steelers were promising us (or even just telling us) that their plan was to have a competition that saw Kenny as the QB1 to start. They aren't divesting their plans prior to a negotiation period. Competent orgs don't do that (in any business). There is an external narrative at play and they put it out there, then had an opportunity to improve the roster and took it.

I also don't see how bringing Russell Wilson in as competition and giving him "first crack" at the QB1 snaps means they "lied" about the competition. It seems that its still entirely truthful that they liked Kenny, but wanted to bring in some competition... even if he lost, they still liked him enough to continue to let him learn and develop. Despite getting first crack, its been widely reported that Russell was given no guarantees regarding his starting position outside of that first shot.... Kenny wasn't "lied to" and the fans certainly were not. The FO maneuvered their Free Agency period in a way to benefit the business. Simple as that. I also don't think that the leaks are necessarily guaranteed to be simple character assassination. It could just be that these things were true and got leaked as soon as Kenny departed because there were no longer ramifications for doing so. You don't have to worry about a malcontent player if that player is on Philly's roster. Again, its speculation, but I think that labeling them as simple character assassination to benefit the team isn't the only option it could be. Its just as likely that they hid some of these things until after Kenny got traded to protect Kenny while he was a Steeler, not because they are baselessly trying to make him look bad.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. JackAttack 5958

Oct 18, 2011
    So you’re saying that the Pittsburgh Steelers, one of the most storied, successful, revered franchises in the history of sport is leaking derogatory information to try to sully the reputation of little ol’ Kenny Pickett. Blast asked if you were high this morning but I’ll ask if you’re high this evening? Omar, Tomlin and Rooney all said that there would be competition. They signed Russ and given his career vs. Kenny’s career of course he’s going to be the presumed starter going in to camp. But that doesn’t mean that Kenny wouldn’t have been able to go in there and compete for playing time and even to be the starter. This whole narrative of “they lied to Kenny” is ridiculous. Athletes get “lied to” all the time when they’re told how much they’re loved until somebody better comes along. That’s the nature of the beast in professional sports.

• Winner Winner x 2
  7. JackAttack 5958

Oct 18, 2011
    I’m not spewing at as fact, I’m simply stating that I can believe it may have happened given the developments of the last few months. But one thing I’m not doing, I’m not calling those who may believe differently than I do idiots.

8. jeh1856

jeh1856 Nap time

Oct 26, 2011
    Ill stick with my statement

I believe in honesty and accuracy and I don’t regurgitate bs rumors with no solid foundation

But there are idiots who do

9. forgotten1

forgotten1 Well-Known Member

Mar 4, 2022
    That's the nature of the beast in a lot of professions.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. SteelersFanCanada

SteelersFanCanada Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2019
    The plan is the plan until the situation changes.

If Kenny played better then his position wouldn't have been in question. Football is a meritocracy.

It seems fitting to quote Rocky on this one..

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  11. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Not seeing a lie there. Players always compete. Even if Wilson is set to be the day 1 starter, it doesn’t mean that he’ll hold that spot. If he sucks, the team won’t stick with him (or he could get injured), and Kenny could have competed to take that spot like Rudolph did last year. Now Fields is the guy who is positioned to step in if needed.

12. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    That isn’t the understanding of what an open competition is though. Was Rudolph, Jones, or Batch ever in competition with Big Ben…no.

Look, I think we are better off with Wilson, but it is also quite possible they did Pickett dirty … that is professional sports I guess? By the time the season starts everyone will have moved on.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2024
  13. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Wilson probably told the Steelers he would only sign with them if he was given the starting job, I don't think any of us really know what went down behind the scenes.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. Voice of Reason

Voice of Reason Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2019
    For those who are so critical of the “messaging” from the Steelers, I wonder what would you have had them say at the end of the season? In addition, how do we know the “leaks” are even sanctioned by Steelers leadership, or to what degree are they accurate?

Kahn and Tomlin said there was going to be an open competition and they would bring some people in. They ended up being able to attract Wilson and that may have required that they promise Wilson the 1 spot heading into camp.

We can argue semantics all day, but you can still have a competition with Wilson as 1 and Pickett as 2. This concept of being lied to assumes that Pickett was promised to be the starter heading into camp. If he wasn’t the starter at the end of the season (including playoffs), then isn’t it possible that he might not have been promised the starting position heading into camp?

15. Steelpens65

Steelpens65 Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2021
    Who did scribe write for?

16. Steelpens65

Nov 28, 2021
    As bad as KFP was he had a better chance of beating out Wilson than he does with Hurts.

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    If someone is already declared the #1, we know how those competitions go. As #2, You are already not working with the starters and you will get less and less reps as the season progresses.

Clearly what ever they told him, and what transpired led to him feeling misled.

That is either on him, or it is on miscommunication from the front office.

Tomlin could easily have worded it differently if they planned to move away from him.

18. jeh1856

jeh1856 Nap time

Oct 26, 2011
    No idea

19. Steelpens65

Nov 28, 2021
    He didnt write for Penthouse forums?

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  20. jeh1856

jeh1856 Nap time

Oct 26, 2011
    Penthouse had forums?

21. Steelpens65

Nov 28, 2021
    Damn that was some of the best reading growing up

22. jeh1856

jeh1856 Nap time

Oct 26, 2011
    Next you will try to tell me Playboy had articles

23. Steelpens65

Nov 28, 2021
    not as good as penthouse… but the women in Playboy were way better looking than those in Penthouse

24. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Dulac: Trust me bro

DK: Detailed report of what actually happened.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  25. SteelersFanCanada

SteelersFanCanada Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2019
    I don't think Tomlin struggles with the communication part of his job.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.