1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Pickett traded to Eagles

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by uncblue012, Mar 15, 2024.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steelpens65

Steelpens65 Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2021
    Im not so sure with todays Steelers, i think the elder Rooney org had way more class than this org

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. jeh1856

jeh1856 Nap time

Oct 26, 2011
    None

But that doesn’t stop idiots here from taking the story and running

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Thanks. My recollection was also that it was a medical issue with him not yet being ready.

Another question: is there anything out there confirming what KP was told this offseason about his role? I recall statements that indicated support for him and that he was in the team’s plans, but I don’t recall anything assuring him of outcomes. I don’t recall seeing anything that promised him the starting position, or even that he would have an opportunity to compete to start the season as QB1. I recall more vague indications of confidence and support that he may have taken in that context. I ask this because I’ve seen opinions that Kenny was lied to, and I haven’t seen evidence of that.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    Its still speculative to think that the info is being leaked to make Pickett look bad and help the team too though, right? The snippy answer was just the start (not the biggest deal in an isolated instance), but the Russ stuff is what it is. Just because Russ is getting the first team reps doesn't mean there isn't still a competition. It may be an uphill battle, but his play on the field put him in that situation. The whole "it was time to move on" and "I was misled" thing just feels like a cop out for a kid who got his feelings a bit hurt. I get that we will never truly know what goes on behind closed doors, but I don't buy that we dealt Kenny a raw deal here. He was told "competition", it was never publicly portrayed that Kenny would be the presumed favorite in that competition.

I can see why people think Kenny is pretty lame for it. It really does look like he either threw a fit because he wasn't getting the first crack at the job (this was never promised as far as I can see) or he took and easy way out when faced with his first real bout of hardship in his career. I am not saying there is 0 merit to any of his feelings, but in professional sports your job is on the line every day. Kenny went from potential rising start to "this guy sucks" in about 4 months time. Life comes at you fast in the business and he doesn't appear to have the mentality capable of dealing with that fact.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. SGSteeler

Sep 9, 2013
    The curt "no" was definitely sour. Definitely could have and should have handled that better, but it is what it is. Its neither "no big deal" nor is it a "big deal".

I played high end NCAA sports and professionally and I can tell you there are very good friends of mine that I think were "scrubs" on the field of play (would never tell them that to their face). I was friends with them because of who they are as people, not because of how good or bad they were in action. It is entirely reasonable (particularly in professional sports) to be friends with someone while at the same time think they aren't good enough to make it. You cheer for them either way, but there is a reality here and most people can see it.

I don't buy that Pickett lost his job to injury. They apparently were contemplating benching him as early as the Browns game, and he was just simply outperformed by his replacement.

The emotions always run high in pro sports. How you handle the media and the outside noise is part of the job too. These guys get paid too much to make that type of excuse. Comes with the territory, figure it out.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    No, there hasn't been any evidence of that. The only information that seems solid is his requesting a trade. The rest is nonsense from people wanting to bury the guy.

7. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    We were all misled. They told him, and all of us, that this was the big year for him. They told him, and us, that they still had faith in him. They did not. The signing of Wilson and the moves that followed showed us that. You don't do all that if you believe in the guy. I have no problem with them doing any of that, but let's at least be honest about how poorly they handled things with Pickett. I know folks here don't want to do that. They like having a scapegoat to blame. The Steelers know it, too.

We have very few facts and a lot of speculation. Regarding the leaks, they came from somewhere. Who benefits from the leaks? Pickett or the Steelers? Of course, it is the Steelers. There you go.

8. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Tomlin publicly said it was a big year for him. Khan publicly said they still had "full faith and confidence" in him. I can certainly see how he would take that as assurance that he was at least going to get a shot at the job. How fair a shot do you think he was going to get at the job with a player with Wilson's resume coming in and getting the first-team reps?

This isn't Trubisky, Pickett, and Rudolph two years ago. Sure, Trubisky got the first-team reps in preseason, but it's not like he had a resume anywhere close to that of Wilson. (Of course, that time it ended up not mattering because he outplayed Rudolph that preseason, anyway.)

9. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022

He was lied to..
    That is why I am highly disappointed events. It was not like this organization.
    It was real odd how 'behind closed door' stuff got out. I scoffed at those supposed reports.
    In the end, the Steelers got what they wanted and he got what he wanted.

10. Mashburn

Mashburn Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2021
    True.

There's so many people who write things without verifying. They just want clicks for views, which they mature money off of the views.

11. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Saying that he was lied to seems incorrect to me. They may have discussed what the plans were with him, and then the plans changed. It happens. Heck it happened to James Harrison and Mitch to a certain degree.
    Sometimes other options present them self and you have to reevaluate your plan. Is it possible some feelings get hurt? Sure,

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  12. SGSteeler

Sep 9, 2013
    Pickett was the only QB on the roster. They HAD to play it that way. They always said that they "Had faith in Kenny, but that they were anticipating bringing in competition for the job". They were always looking outward for QB help, and did what they could to assure the guy on the roster that they still believed in him in case we couldn't externally upgrade. Bringing in Wilson was always competition. There have been national media reports (not just Steelers people) that said that Wilson wasn't promised the starting job, just that he was going to be getting the first crack at first team reps (and to be honest, rightfully so).

Stuff is only getting leaked because there are no ramifications because Kenny is gone. They would be keeping that in house if Kenny was still around. None of this was sent out into the void until after Kenny got traded. I totally hear what you are saying, a lot of it is valid, but Kenny wasn't treated poorly in the situation. He doesn't appear to be "lied to". This is the business part of pro sports (which is why you see far less player loyalty to the franchises). At the end of the day they can say they still like you as a player, but if they can make a deal that makes the team better they will do it. Simple as that. You can't be that naive as a human adult that is trying to make a living in essentially the "Wild West" of sporting entertainment.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012

Tomlin, Kahn, Rooney have all said publicly there would be competition. They brought in competition and he bailed. He has done absolutely nothing to warrant believing he should be handed the starting job. Hell they probably did him a favor. Can you imagine the torrent of boos if he came onto the field and laid yet another egg?

14. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022
    I don't disagree.
    But what was said behind closed doors got out. And it was not exactly what happened. That's the boiler point for me.
    It was a lack of professionalism I have not seen here. I've been really close to this team for decades.
    For now, I can agree to treat is as water going under the bridge and try to hope that it works out.
    But I can tell you that it was like being slapped. I no longer trust this bunch.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  15. Wolfepack88

Wolfepack88 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2022
    Hasn't it been confirmed that KP, said he preferred a trade? Who does that if you are sitting behind a one year signing of Wilson who has yet to take a snap and play a season in the Burg. Let alone the fact that he will be 36. If he wanted to compete he stays and fights it out.

16. Wolfepack88

Wolfepack88 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2022
    Shannon Sharpe said the same today, it is the NFL promises change and the guys behind you are fighting to take your job every day and its your job to prevent that. I'm paraphrasing but that is basically what he said and I agree.

17. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Do you see me criticizing them for those comments? No. I've gone out of my way to say I'm fine with them saying one thing and doing another because I agree that they had to play it that way.

That doesn't change that they lied to the fans and Pickett. They did.

I'm glad that you see that the leaks are coming from the team. Of course, they are coming from the team. What purpose does it serve to let that happen other than to make Pickett look bad? I don't think lying to him was treating him well. I don't think leaking things to make him look bad after he is gone is treating him well.

If you can't justify them lying as being okay, that's your issue, not mine. I'm fine with it, but I'm also honest about it.

18. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    It depends what Tomlin told Kenny...we'll never really know.

If he said that he will have a legitimate opportunity to compete for the #1 and reneged once Wilson got here, then Tomlin is going back on his word ... and him and Khan basically lied to everyone in post season interviews.

If I was in Kenny's shoes I don't think I would be happy about it, but I probably wouldn't have requested a trade. I know I would get a shot to play at some point. Wilson is 35 afterall.

If Kenny just decided to request a trade after Russell was signed, and before to speaking to Tomlin about it, then that is on Kenny.

Like I said ... I don't know if we will know the answer to that unless Tomlin or Kenny comes clean on that.

19. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    The organization violated his trust. Staying means putting his faith in them anyway, which makes little sense. I think he saw that the team didn't have much faith in him at all. I don't think they did, either.

That said, it doesn't seem to me that Khan and Tomlin tried very hard to straighten him out, which is further evidence that he evaluated his situation properly.

20. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Who says they were done adding? At that price, they still might have dealt for Fields even if they still had Pickett.

21. Da Stellars

Oct 22, 2011
    I don't understand ... are you saying Kenny, Fields, and Wilson would have been in a 3 way race for the #1 spot in training camp?

The initial report was Tomlin told Kenny that Wilson was the #1, after the deal went down. Which would go counter to there previous exit interview.

22. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    People keep saying that the Steelers “lied,” but I haven’t seen exactly what the lies were. Someone enlighten me please. And I’m not talking about statements that can be interpreted differently by different people. I’m talking about flat out “lies.”

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  23. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    I can save you the time. They didn’t lie.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  24. jeh1856

jeh1856 Nap time

Oct 26, 2011
    I have not seen anything that resembles a lie if you take all the statements in proper chronological order

Some people like conspiracy

Some people like negativity

And I think Scribe is off his meds

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  25. Da Stellars

Oct 22, 2011
    "Pickett was "explicitly told by the Steelers" after Russell Wilson's recent free-agent signing that Wilson would be the starter, per Kinkhabwala"

If Tomlin originally said he could compete during the post-season exit interview, which he confirmed in his final season press conference, and if the above statement is true, then he reneged on there being a competition.

Steelers GM Omar Khan: 'I have full faith' in QB Kenny Pickett, but still open to 'competition in the room'

If Khan told Kenny there is a competition, but Kinkhabwala's report is true then they both reneged.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2024
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.