1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

FIELDS A STEELER

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Blast Furnace, Mar 16, 2024.

1. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Arthur Smith is bright enough to create an offense that will benefit Wilson and Fields. The offense will not be exact carbon copies of the ones he ran in Tennessee and Atlanta.

If Mularkey can bring Kordell Stewart back from the dead.... Smith can revive Wilson's career and develop Fields.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011

I’ve commented on Fields improving each year and at a point now after three years that he should have a much firmer grasp on the game and it should be slowing down for him.

I don’t think they see Fields as just a short term player, I think they believe he can be their franchise guy. Wilson is the short term solution.

Let’s hope so anyway or it will be back to the drawing board and already into the 4th year post Ben trying to find a successor.

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. Trafalgar

Trafalgar Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2016

It's not that odd when you consider how one QB is percieved and how the other is. They're not light years apart, one stat line is an established vet (2 time MVP) on a year on year contender, one stat line is a young guy whose team haven't been relevant since dial up.

I stand by what what I said in that I don't expect any QB following his trajectory to ever turn into a top quality NFL QB - but he isn't the worst I have seen treading this path.

• Like Like x 1
  4. TWISTER

TWISTER Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    I can’t stand LJ. I am already so sick of hearing about the Ravens

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. martingale

martingale Well-Known Member

Nov 20, 2023
    What gives you faith in that statement?
    Certainly not his time at Atlanta, where he was routinely criticized for inability to use key offensive players such as Pitts, Drake London, and Bijan Robinson. He does not strike me as an adaptable or innovative coach.
    No, we hired Smith to run the offense he had with the Titans. The problem is we don't have the Titans OL nor Derrick Henry.

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  6. martingale

Nov 20, 2023
    How can anyone criticize Pickett for not wanting to compete with Wilson, when Tomlin told Pickett that Wilson was the starter?

Understand this. There is no competition for the starting job. Tomlin stated Wilson is the starter.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  7. jeh1856

jeh1856 Nap time

Oct 26, 2011
    This would make sense if it did

Pickett is not going to start in Philadelphia this year or possibly ever

Wilson is on a one year contract If Pickett had stayed here he could have been the starter in 2025

Well if he had the balls

Last edited: Mar 18, 2024
  8. martingale

Nov 20, 2023

I can agree with this.
    If you wanted to go all in for next year, I get the decision to sign Wilson. I think it flawed but I understand the logic. What I don't understand is why you would trade DJ. DJ and Pickens gave the Steelers 2 quality threats. Without DJ, Pickens will get doubled and last year we saw the results of that.
    I see Kahn as a cheap gambler. He is willing to take risks that have limited financial costs. I am not sure I trust his judgement. I think his moves are too opportunistic and lack understanding to address critical flaws in this team.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Aerosteel

Aerosteel Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Sometimes you just have to get out of a bad situation. In his time with the Steelers, he had crappy coaching, crappy Oline, was benched when healthy and watched as the team signed his replacement while his teammates were lobbying for it. He certainly owns his substandard play on the field. It was a failure. So why wouldn't he want to make a clean break somewhere else?

• Like Like x 1
  10. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Smith revived Tannehill's career. Desmond Ridder struggled as bad as Pickett did. So Smith gets the blame for Ridder not executing plays and throwing INTs? Steelers O line is not as bad as it seems. Replace Moore with Broderick Jones.... draft a Center in the 1st or 2nd. RT in 1st or 2nd. BPA.

11. martingale

Nov 20, 2023
    You want to start two rookies at Center and RT? Acquiring Fields then makes sense because Wilson will not survive the season in that scenario.

As for Smith, he won't duplicate his success at Tennessee without a quality OL and a great back. We have neither. Also, Tannehill was much younger when the Titans got him. Russell is 35 years old and it's telling that he had highest % of passes (over 34%) behind the LOS in the NFL last year. That was with Sean Peyton as his coach.

12. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Yup. The Steelers did a good job on his image.

13. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I do enjoy watching folks like you get suckered by the false narrative out there. It's funny.

You also don't realize how low the bar is to knock around the league as a backup for a long time. Hell, Chase Daniel played for 13 seasons. Look him up.

Nah. You would rather speak from ignorance.

14. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    LOL. Sucker.

15. jeh1856

jeh1856 Nap time

Oct 26, 2011
    Huh

Now you are calling Pickett a sucker

What happened to your Pickett fanboy status

Last edited: Mar 18, 2024
  16. forgotten1

forgotten1 Well-Known Member

Mar 4, 2022
    My bad. Sorry Thig.

• Like Like x 1
  17. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    That’s one of the most telling aspects of this entire situation. Really none of Pickett’s teammates seemed to come to his defense and proclaim that he is their guy. Some did that for Rudolph, both offensive and defensive players. Cam, TJ and Minkah enthusiastically helped to recruit Russell Wilson to the Steelers. Why is that?

• Winner Winner x 1
  18. Aerosteel

Oct 19, 2011
    It's because Tomlin gave him a vote of no confidence by not letting him play at the end of the season and the playoff game. I'm not saying that was the wrong decision, but a team has to be 100% behind their QB, and once they aren't, that QB is going to lose the locker room
    Mason came in and played well, and some players rallied around him, but once the team told Mason to go away, they started looking outside the organization. I have no problem with the moves the Steelers made, I think it will be an interesting season. But I don't get the negativity towards Pickett for leaving. He came in, he struggled and it didn't work out, the team benched him and signed his replacement and he requested a trade. All seems reasonable to me and probably best for all involved.

• Like Like x 2
  19. JackAttack 5958

Oct 18, 2011
    He was benched due to his performance and lost the locker room because of his performance. He’d lost the confidence of his teammates. While I don’t think Kenny should be attacked personally, I fully understand the negative reaction from many fans. He struggled mightily but the thing is he would have been given another opportunity had he kept the right attitude, continued to work and came in every day and competed. Instead he decided that he wanted nothing more to do with the Steelers because they signed an aging quarterback with a successful resume and said he’d be QB1 heading into camp. Now he’s on a team with a firmly entrenched quarterback who’s younger than he is. I’ve never really though Pickett was the brightest bulb in the chandelier but he didn’t think his trade request/demand through.

20. Steelpens65

Steelpens65 Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2021
    Good read as always… you are correct this has the potential to go either way and fast

21. Steelpens65

Steelpens65 Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2021
    Man I dont know what to think of all this. This could go one or two ways.
    First, i thought Wilson was done way back when he threw game ending int in SB against Pats.
    Second, I am not very excited we got another Bears qb, how did that work out the first time? Yet Mitch did better at Chicago than Fields, even win a playoff game?
    Third and lastly, we got both for a bag of nuts. So hopefully both can get reenergized and lead us to a playoff game.
    Im gonna still stand by my feelings, i didnt want Fields, but now that he is a Steeler, I definitely want the best for him.
    Time will tell. Go Steelers

• Like Like x 1
  22. Aerosteel

Oct 19, 2011
    Haven't you ever had a job at a company that you think sucks and you suck being there? I know I have. I've even taken a lesser job somewhere else just to get out of it when I was a younger man. Life is too short to spend it in a situation where you are miserable. It's not always about the future opportunity. Sometimes it's a quality of life thing in the present.

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Cam could be in his last year with the team, and he only has one career playoff win, Minkah and TJ are winless in the playoffs you see why they want a vet like Wilson.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  24. JackAttack 5958

Oct 18, 2011
    I hope it’s about a quality of life thing for Pickett and not about the future opportunity. He went from a team who was willing to give him another opportunity in spite of his failings to a team with a firmly entrenched starter who’s actually younger than he is.

25. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    The sources came from more than just Dulac up to including Adam Schefter. It doesn't really matter at the end of the day.

Kenny is not some victim at this point, and if he just cooled his Jets and sat behind Wilson he'd of had a chance to potentially start one day.

He didn't and Fields ended up coming in drastically improving the QB room upside imo. Kenny will be a journey man backup if not out of the league in 3 years.

If he someone proves me wrong I will eat my words

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1