1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Pickett traded to Eagles

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by uncblue012, Mar 15, 2024.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Remember that one time when Baltimore drafted Kyle Hamilton AND Tyler Linderbaum in the first round and we wasted our pick on Kenny Pickett? Oh yeah, good times!

2022 was a horrible year for drafting a QB. Not a true 1st round caliber QB in that draft class. And to think we could have had a top tier C or CB. Said it then and saying it now. What a wasted pick.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    We don’t know the validity of that story. Dulac has usually been good with info, but last year he was dead wrong on a few things, which makes me wonder if he has lost a source or has fallen off.

I’ve seen a 3rd story where they wanted Kenny to be the #2, but he said with his injury he rather would be the #3 emergency qb and they said forget it … so where is the truth?

3. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

That Tyler Linderbaum pick is beginning to bite more and more in the ass than I thought. Granted, I knew he would easily become a blue chip player but hot damn has he been $$$ for the Ravens. Man.....

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Jammasterc

Jammasterc Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Good.
    The best thing that Pickett did here was get the Steelers some more picks and a move up.

He can go to Philly where he can learn Offense and learn from Hurtz.

Maybe he comes back to Pittsburgh more "matured" after Wilson and Fields are gone.

There's still time to be a Hero.

5. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    I wont disagree, but the year before was apparently not a great QB class either. And the search for a C has been mind blowing, the choice for Muth over Creed is somewhat understandable, but to draft green, who had played 4 games at C and expect him to be a started day one??? This far into FA and no center on your roster? I get you want to draft a quality C who can hopefully start, but all the guys you have now have limited experience, and you basically have to get it right in the draft. Right now its the most prominent position in need imho.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Steelpens65

Steelpens65 Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2021
    Ill take Rattler for the win

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  7. Steelpens65

Nov 28, 2021
    So was 2021… only 1 qb on original team…trev lawrence now Jags got 2 first rd qbs from 2021 draft in Mac Jones

• Like Like x 1
  8. Steelvision

Steelvision Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2022
    smith needs to do what Sean Payton didn’t. Give Wilson some flexibility and options, (audibles). Give Wilson a good center and receiver (Boyd) and maybe this thing can work.

9. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016
    Getting back to the discussion at hand, this is yet another Organizational Failure by the team. Picking Kenny Pickett number 20th overall wasn't the whole problem but, and as I stated before, quite a bit went down long before Kenny Pickett was selected. Not picking up the likes of Creed Humphrey stings more and more with each passing season but that alone isn't a reason to justify the current state of affairs. For me, this dates back to 2021... though it can be argued that 2020 is technically the initial flashpoint. My reasons are as follows:

1. Pittsburgh having little to no money in the 2021 Offseason forced the teams hand in attempting to correct the porous Offensive Line. This included signing the likes of Trai Turner, moving Kevin Dotson away from his natural spot and banking on two Rookies, one of whom is arguably the biggest bust in the Kevin Colbert Era, to man the ship for the 2021 Season. Obviously, this didn't work out the way the team intended. Then again, having two starters on a line that are playing different positions, both of whom have either never or very seldom have played in their College Days, was a recipe for disaster. This isn't including the likes of having the likes of Adrian Klemm either.

2. Matt Canada. From his promotion in house as a QB Coach in 2020 to the OC in 2021, the team was hoping that Canada's Collegiate Offensive Background would assist the Steelers Offense. While Big Ben clearly was winding down faster and further in 2021, Canada's inclusion surely did neither Big Ben nor the Steelers any favors. Circa 2022 to the NFL Draft and it was reported that Canada attempted to recruit Pickett from High School. Fast Forward to the 2022 Season and many of the Offensive Play Calling blunders that doomed him with Big Ben reared its ugly head again in the form of Mitch and Kenny; Kenny having more success. Fast Forward to 2023 and not only did Kenny regress under Canada but Canada himself got fired despite having shown little to no growth from 2021 to his firing after the Browns game; as much of a Sunk Cost Fallacy as one is going to get.

3. Mike Tomlin, Kevin Colbert and Art Rooney II, along with the entire Steelers Front Office misses of draft picks from 2018-2022. Given the Steelers rich history of finding and developing players through the draft, ensuring that at least 3 of the 7 or more players hit is paramount for a Franchise that both relies on and invests in the Draft more than arguably any other. For that matter, the Draft Classes from 2018-2020 are largely gone; either out of the league or on another team. Alex Highsmith is the only Steeler player drafted during that time to remain on the team; Minkah Fitzpatrick as well though he isn't technically a Draft Pick and was acquired via a trade. 2022 is shaping up to be yet another disastrous draft as Pickett, Leal (someone I was EXTREMELY weary of), Austin (very possible) and Oladokun are all or will be gone. If anything, 2021 may have been the best of the drafts between 2018 to 2022 for the likes of Najee Harris, Pat Freiermuth, Dan Moore (though not for long) and Isaiah Loudermilk are still on the team. Of those four, it is possible that the likes of Najee, Pat and even Isaiah are extended in 2025; marking the first time the Steelers have hit on three or more picks since 2017.

4. Mike Tomlin again though this is from a personnel perspective. While Kenny himself wanted Matt Canada for one more season (more on this later), Tomlin's stubbornness of using Mitchell Trubisky as the main starter in 2022 and main backup in 2023 cost the Steelers important opportunities; securing a Playoff Spot in 2022 and losing to back to back 2 win teams in 2023. This isn't accounting for his mishandling of the Offensive Line in 2022 where Kevin Dotson, Kendrick Green and James Daniels all should have been switched to their natural spots at the beginning of that years Off Season Workouts to solidify cohesion and maximize their capabilities along with the continual mismanagement in game in both decision making and time management haven't done this team overall any favors. Pinning the hopes of games to the likes of T.J. Watt isn't an issue on its own but using those splash plays as a methods of winning simply isn't sustainable. For that matter, him not being extended is becoming more and more intriguing by the day.

5. Kenny Pickett. Yes, yes, the Steelers did him no favors as a whole leading up to him being drafted in 2022. However, this does not give him a free pass by any means. While it was clear that Pickett did have some shortcomings in his Rookie Season, given the circumstances, he handled himself pretty well. Year two was when he was supposed to take the reigns and make that Sophomore Surge so many of us were talking about. However, upon hearing that Kenny played a part in Canada's return, it was going to become appearant that the success of the 2023 Steelers will come down to both Kenny Pickett and Matt Canada. Well... as it has been written, the 2023 Pittsburgh Steelers was one hell of a rollercoaster; the highlights of the season being T.J. Watt being his usual self and Mason Rudolph's play down the stretch. Neither though are Kenny Pickett and Matt Canada. For that matter, both are now no longer of the Steelers Organization. As it currently stands, there are still a lot of stories coming out as to why Kenny was traded ended up happening; the Steelers stating that Kenny's attitude after being demoted when he returned healthy enough to play to the way the communication was in regards to Russell Wilson being brought in here. For the Pickett Camp, the aspects that set them off was how the communication itself being conveyed to Pickett before Wilson and then after Wilson is what led to the departure. Either way, Kenny isn't here; something that is factual. What is also factual and, the highlight of this point is that Kenny's performance on field is as much to blame as Matt Canada's play calling... or lack thereof.

As I have pointed out in another thread, Omar Kahn and Andy Weidl are both undoing the mistakes of the past; the 2022 class being the start. I'd imagine that their next course of action is to beef up the Offensive Line in the 2024 NFL Draft. Given how Russell Wilson isn't getting any younger and has taken quite a pounding the last two seasons... best to get him some protection up front for while the WR group is in dire straits... no prospect isn't going to help when you have less than 2 seconds to throw the football seemingly every single snap. My personal final point to all of this is as follows.

1. Russell Wilson does indeed work out but Justin Fields does not develop via learning from the man he idolized growing up. Russell can then cash in on an extension while Fields can be let go for nothing. Pittsburgh would then have to scout its future QB 1 in 2025.

2. Russell Wilson doesn't work out but Justin Fields does. Russell gets the boot and Justin Fields is the QB 1. Pick up his fifth year option, let him play that out and see what happens from there. Still nab a QB from the 2025 Class or this upcoming one just to be safe.

3. Neither work out. Both are gone and Pittsburgh will likely have a losing record; forcing the team to select one of the top players available in 2025.

More or less the plan in 2024; see what you have and roll forward from there.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  10. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011

Yeah, he’s pissed :lolol:

• Informative Informative x 1
  11. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012

Good luck, to him......................His post looks like every other standard Thank you posts players put out to me :shrug:

12. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

:lolol:

13. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    No mention of the team that drafted him, very unusual in a goodbye post. He kept it very generic to “relationships” but no mention of his teammates or coaches, nothing team related. Also go birds kind of seems like a middle finger.

But I totally get why he would be pissed. He 100% thought he was going to be the QB this season and get a fresh start with a new OC.

• Like Like x 2
  14. forgotten1

forgotten1 Well-Known Member

Mar 4, 2022

yep,
    like he, nothing special

15. Steelpens65

Nov 28, 2021
    Good read my man

16. forgotten1

Mar 4, 2022
    Understand what he thought, shows he's an idiot to think it was a 100% guarantee. No matter what some one MIGHT have said to him.
    He should be mad at himself.

I've met with a lot of acts that were dumb enough to believe a label.

17. SteelinOhio

SteelinOhio

Oct 16, 2011
    I was not happy that the Steelers took a QB that year, especially that early. I wasn't a big fan of the Pickett pick, but once it seemed we were stuck with him, of course I rooted for him to do well and prove me wrong. But that didn't happen. I wish Kenny the best for the rest of his career, but I'm can't say I'm upset that he's gone.

• Like Like x 1
  18. KnoxVegasSteel

Oct 21, 2011
    That guy has CFL written all over him as in Cock For Life

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  19. KnoxVegasSteel

Oct 21, 2011
    Who cares. He has moved on to his life's work as a backup elsewhere. That's what matters and I'm glad they saw the folly in their ways and cut bait early.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. OB1

OB1 Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2022
    I bet he just asked ChatGPT to write him a goodbye post.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  21. jeh1856

jeh1856 Nap time

Oct 26, 2011
    I did not read anything negative in that

It was nice

22. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Oh geez now ya did it.

23. pczach

pczach Well-Known Member

Jul 5, 2023

I think you guys are all missing the obvious.

This move by the Steelers was planned and executed. They knew what their intentions were with Wilson and with Pickett. Once they signed Wilson, they used the obvious anger and broken promise to Pickett to piss him off and facilitate a trade. That trade went to the Eagles......the only other team that was interested in Fields and the team that made an offer for Fields earlier.

Once they moved Pickett to the Eagles and filled their need for a backup, the market for Fields disappeared because they eliminated the only competition they had to land Fields. They killed two birds with one stone getting rid of Pickett and were then able to secure Fields for next to nothing because nobody else was interested in Fields after they filled the Eagles backup need.

It's not that hard to figure out.

Pickett never had a chance. They wanted Wilson and they wanted Fields. They figured out a way to make it happen.

• Like Like x 1
  24. forgotten1

Mar 4, 2022
    Nice write up
    but tell me who the other 3 teams interested in Fields
    Steelers Eagles and....

25. forgotten1

Mar 4, 2022
    Lazycnt

Thread Status: