1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

FIELDS A STEELER

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Blast Furnace, Mar 16, 2024.

1. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011

On the outset, we have two QBs on the roster for less money than the Bills are paying Mitch, less than what the Steelers paid Mitch.

With any of them - the pessimist can say they’ll be drafting a QB next year.

The optimist says KP would’ve been, and either RW or JF will be the QB for the next several years.

At this point, no one is right, they only have opinions. But I think money wise, they are in a better place.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. zcoop

zcoop Well-Known Member

Jan 17, 2018
    True and I don't mind intelligent push back but some of this stuff is way overboard.

If the Steelers had brought in Cousins, Tannyhill, Mayfield or kept Pickett and Mason, I may not have liked it. But still would support the team because I'm a Steeler Fan, first and foremost.

3. forgotten1

forgotten1 Well-Known Member

Mar 4, 2022
    Friend of mine told me recently, the Steelers had some interest in Davius Richard QB NC Central.

4. bradshaw12

bradshaw12 Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2018
    I don't see the point of the trade if he isn't being brought in to be the starter. If he isn't they will definitely not be picking up his option, which means he would most likely move on next year.

5. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Or they extend him

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. martingale

martingale Well-Known Member

Nov 20, 2023
    I fail to get excited at signing or trading for two starting qbs that previous teams gave up on despite the investment.
    I have no problem moving on from Kenny. Moving from Kenny to Fields and Wilson shows me the Steelers have zero understanding of what a good offense is.
    This “swing” for the fences moves reeks of desperation, not calculated logical decision making.

7. bradshaw12

bradshaw12 Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2018
    But if they don't put him on the field this year, they won't do that. Plus, I'm seeing articles saying that the Steelers are wanting a longer term contract with Wilson, which is very disappointing.

8. Wolfepack88

Wolfepack88 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2022
    Not sure its an F but I agree its a gamble on a guy that has some raw talent but not in the areas I think you need to be a longer success so in that regard I agree. I'm sorta thinking they went and got him for cheap after Pickett blew up on them and they needed a back up. Hopefully the eye is going back to the Tree in 2025 for the next guy, perhaps even trading up if that class has someone they want. I don't want them to reach again, they need to be sure on character and football IQ. I'm not saying KP had character issues, because I actually believe Tomlin wasn't honest with him (I know total conjecture on my part). However football IQ wasn't there.

9. martingale

Nov 20, 2023
    Two elite coaches, Carroll and Peyton, gave up on Wilson. Wilson is no longer a consistent qb. It’s tough to design any system that can over come that.

10. Wolfepack88

Oct 16, 2022
    I would rather wait and see and if that costs you bigger money for say a 3 year deal than so be it, but he has to prove that he still has the tools and can last in our physical division as well. Playing in the cold, **** grass field we have and in an unknown new OC's system.

11. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I doubt that, hes 36 this season and already showing decline. What kind of long term contract could they give him.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. martingale

Nov 20, 2023
    Neither Peyton nor Carrol could reel in Wilson. Peyton is known to be a qb guru and decided Jarret Stidham is the better option.
    You think Tomlin and Smith can do better??

13. forgotten1

forgotten1 Well-Known Member

Mar 4, 2022
    Yeah but we have 4 years of experience in dealing with qb s that are NOT consistent
    I believe the team has designed a system to over come that in that time. Obviously

14. Wolfepack88

Oct 16, 2022
    If this happens then the window likely closes further with TJ, Minkah, etc but if goes really bad we get a high draft pick with a better QB class. I'm not wishing for is but I just hope its not purgatory of 10-7 again and say one playoff win and we drop big coin on RW with that. Its either we make a huge stride forward or crap the bed, the no mans land of mediocrity will put the front office in a serious bind on what to do. Then the thinking of its a first year with a new system, so many new players that needed to gel, a few key injuries that negate a true evaluation. I want none of that crap, I hope stay we healthy, no bs slow start (have these guys ready and that means playing in most of the preseason games for many more snaps so communication is solid on day 1 of the season) so we can truly evaluate if this experiment is a success or not.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2024
    • Like Like x 1
  15. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    The North Carolina Central Eagles. Hell of a name.

16. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    There is a lot of click bait about it. Got me twice today.

17. OB1

OB1 Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2022
    You're not logical at all. The new set of washed up QBs are better than last year's set of washed up QBs.

Now steelers have 1-2 years to find a true franchise QB with a better set of washed up QBs. Isn't that better than before? Isn't better a better thing than worst?

18. Wolfepack88

Oct 16, 2022
    Or he likes the Benji's and wants one more bag of gold like Farve. He will take it if you pay him. At this point we are in for at least a season, but just hope we don't do some longer term deal until we actually see how he plays and holds up. All the while remember he is 35 now and likely will deteriorate further in the coming years.

19. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012
    Tomlin always seems to be enamored with certain players, right now 2 of the players seem to be RW, and JF

20. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017

Khan fleeced the Bears. Love that guy.

For opinions that matter, Fields has tremendous upside and the potential franchise QB of the franchise for years.

• Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  21. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Still kind of surprising this happened because Tomlin was enamored with Pickett. Go back and look at him and Colbert after they drafted him, they were beaming.

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. Wolfepack88

Oct 16, 2022
    The funny thing is Tomlin isn't known for being an offensive coach at all if I'm Khan and Rooney I'm not relying on his evaluation of offensive talent. They will definitely take his evaluation of the player on character level and his thoughts on the players conducts himself on and off the field and whether Tomlin believes he has chemistry with the player and can get through to him but for offensive talent evaluation, nope that is not who I want to rely on.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2024
    • Agree Agree x 1
  23. Rocky Mtn

Rocky Mtn Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2023
    Especially at QB.

• Like Like x 1
  24. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Part of the problem with what you are doing is you are only looking at one statistic. The Steelers also threw only nine interceptions in 2023, and Trubisky threw five of them. Fields matched that number in 13 games. That doesn't even consider his fumbling problem. He fumbled the ball 10 times last year and led the league with 16 of them in 2022.

Once Pickett was gone, it made sense to get Fields. Maybe Pickett did make it impossible to keep him around, but I haven't seen any credible reporting with an actual source on that. The Steelers got more for Pickett than the Bears got for Fields. That should tell you something. They also got rid of a guy with two years left on his rookie deal and took one a guy with one remaining.

Maybe the quarterbacks will be better in 2024. The Steelers seem to think so and Khan has earned some trust. But to say there is no room to question it simply isn't true.

It is fair to say that as of this moment, the offense is not better. It might be worse. Cole was terrible, but they do not have his replacement. Johnson was a big part of the offense and they do not have his replacement. I'm sure Khan isn't done, but if he goes into the draft to fill those holes, whichever of the knew guys is taking the snaps could have a very hard time making things work.

25. Rocky Mtn

Rocky Mtn Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2023
    Eerily similar to the Pickett exit for some.

• Like Like x 1