1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

The Steelers should make the trade for Justin Fields

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steelersrule6, Mar 15, 2024.

1. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Russ has thrown a major wrench into the Justin Fields rumors by saying he wants to play another 5 - 7 years. If a team trades for Fields, they had better plan on picking up his 5th year option for next year at $25 million. As soon as the Steelers picked up Field's option it would mean that the Steelers have ZERO interest in playing Russell Wilson in 2025. I don't know how Russ would take that.

If you just value Fields as a 1 year backup, and then a Free Agent, his value drops to like a 6th or 7th round pick. Hell, maybe those 2 7th round 2025 picks they just received from the Eagles may be Fields trade value as a 2024 backup QB. At least with Kenny the Eagles received a 2-year backup for those 2 7ths and a pick swap.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2024
  2. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Wow they did it.

Not too crazy about it.

Between Fields and Pickett, I’m taking Pickett.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020

you can have him! oh wait, the Eagles have him!!!!

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  4. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020

Russ can throw all the wrenches he wants. he is on a 1 Yr deal here. next year, it's either $30 mil a year for a muli year deal, or franchise him at about that amount.

I hope Russ has a GREAT year, I hope that Fields gets some reps and learns the offense - maybe work in a read option package for him - and is our long term solution. We will see.....no need to DRAFT now or next year

either way - Steelers are rolling.....

NOW - get Boyd in here!

• Like Like x 2
  5. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Fields is the new Haskins … a reclamation project.

• Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  6. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    A guaranteed 2025 6th round pick for Fields, I can live with that. That is the price of our backup QB for this year, seems about right. I think this also means the Steelers will not be picking up his 5th year option now.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Bears fans are complaining they got fleeced by the Steelers in the Fields trade :hehehe:.

• Like Like x 2
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. Steelpens65

Steelpens65 Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2021
    They got fleeced again… thank you Chicago… im sure we will be getting Caleb in 2 years!

• Like Like x 2
  9. SteelersFanCanada

SteelersFanCanada Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2019
    I think they settle on a contract extension at some point.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

The Steelers have until May 2nd to do so. That is when Fields' Fifth Year option is due.

• Informative Informative x 1
  11. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    No, they can pass on picking up Fields 5th year option in May and then later this year still sign him to a 2 or 3 year extension. My guess is this would come after training camp when Arthur has had a chance to see Fields play in his system.

With Najee his 5th year option price, is going to be less than what he would get on the open market, so it is in the Steelers best interest to pickup the 5th year option. I don't think the player has any say in rather a team chooses to exercise the 5th year option or not.

12. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Good call.

• Like Like x 1
  13. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    A 6th NEXT Season :lolol:

Khan Job pulled another fast one on the Bears :lolol:

$25.6 million

Why Fields wasn't scooped by other teams largely centers on his one year of rookie contract control, which features a fifth-year option that will be set at $25.6 million. That option must be triggered on May 2nd and is fully guaranteed.

The 5th year option will be declined. There is no way they pick this up. If they see promise for the future like you said they can give him a 2 year deal before the season starts or wait it out. When a starting QB goes down they can fleece another team for picks and trade him.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    I never thought about trading Fields during the season to a team desperate to replace their injured QB. So they may not want to offer him a contract until they know where they stand with Fields. It has only been a Colbert policy that you do not negotiate during the season, so the Steelers could wait until week 10 after the trade deadline to begin talks with Fields about an extension.

15. jeh1856

jeh1856 Nap time

Oct 26, 2011
    No

They can work on an extension all the way up to the end of the year in March of 2025

(Typing 2025 makes me think of Zager and Evans)

• Like Like x 1
  16. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    This and the other posts about trading Fields mid-season....some of the most insane thoughts I have ever seen on this forum. Will it happen? It could, but to think Omar sits around thinking this is absurd. How many QB's had to start last season..around 65..how many QB's do we have 2, hell Russ may stimk up the joint and be back up by week 4, not saying that will happen, but unless some rookie lights up and makes either of these 2 expendable, they are on the team for the season.

IDK (nor does anyone else) how the future with the team is going to be for either guy, in a financial move the best thing would be to find a way to lock Fields in for at least 2 years (without the option), on a incentive based deal that gives the team some options and gives Fields the opportunity to re-group. If Russ plays well he will want some bucks, how much are they willing to give an aging guy? If he plays well enough then a contract like Baker got may be doable, but a contract like Kirk got is not, unless we want another Ben situation. Either way to have extending Fields gives the team some assurance, gives him time, and we lose little if everything goes south.

17. ljkjr74

ljkjr74 Well-Known Member

May 7, 2015
    yes and they said the same thing about Pickett.

18. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    I was watching a report (think it was from NFL insider) so many i cannot keep track. The guy said the Bears org wanted to do the best for Fields, had several offers and felt the "Burgh was the best place for him. Now some people will think snide remarks about this, I mean is it not comforting to know the Bears think so much about players they are trying to get rid of, they will take a less offer in a trade for the betterment of the player? LMAO. Spin it any way you want, they thought they were going to get a 1, then a 2, got a 6 (that can be a 4), that was the best or he would have went to someone else.

• Like Like x 1
  19. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

I meant the fifth year option specifically. Not so much the extension! My mistake! :drinks:

• Like Like x 1
  20. AtlSteel

AtlSteel Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2021
    Not confident we can develop Fields any better than Chicago, but man we got him cheap. Will be an interesting season.

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
  22. Mashburn

Mashburn Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2021
    OK you're right. I was wrong

• Like Like x 1
  23. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    Seriously what has Pickett shown over Fields? Serious question. Besides preseason, Pickett was a joke at QB. It was not all Matt Canada's fault.

24. forgotten1

forgotten1 Well-Known Member

Mar 4, 2022

Por que guey?

25. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    Someone needs to sit with Fields for a year and challenge his cerebral aspect to the game. The man physically can dominate. Help on his mental game.

I'd definitely be picking up his 5th year option. Give him a chance next year to see what he can do. If he sucks, there is really not much of a loss.

Grade A+ for Khan right now imo. Of course I have full confidence he will not neglect the Oline and now WR as top priorities.

Exciting days to be a Steeler fan!