1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Pickett traded to Eagles

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by uncblue012, Mar 15, 2024.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    :bscow:

You’re full of it if you don’t think Pickett has been grossly mishandled since day one.

2. OB1

OB1 Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2022
    It's extremely unreasonable to ask for a trade *and* expect to end up somewhere that is an ideal situation. That's just childish, and not real life. Kenny asked for a trade, the team gave it to him when they didn't need to - that's a solid.

The team wanted the second scenario that you describe (because that is best for the team) - it is Kenny that didn't want the second scenario. The team didn't want to trade Kenny - Kenny wanted to be traded.

Kenny owns the outcome of the situation.

Whoever advised Kenny to ask for a trade (his helicopter mom/dad, agent, god, etc.) is the issue - not what the team did.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2024
    • Agree Agree x 3
  3. Jball

Jball Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    This is why I believe that some sort of "hissy fit" went down, although you disagree.

I seriously doubt they traded him for a used jock strap after he politely walked into Omar's office and said "Pardon me sir, sorry to disturb you, but I've come to ask if I might be traded? If it's not too much trouble, of course? Sorry for the intrusion."

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  4. BobbyBiz

BobbyBiz Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    No, they don't. He could've handled better. But taking a step back and taking him out of it, they've been all over the map since Ben retired.
    It was probably a good idea for everyone to clean house and start over

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. OB1

OB1 Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2022
    You people should go listen to the Wilson interview after he signed. He clearly said Cam, TJ and Minkah all called him up and selling him on coming to the Steelers because these old players want to win this year.

And Wilson sounds like he's an actual mature and brainy player - his dad was a lawyer and worked two jobs to send his kids to private school. He even said the new OC for Steelers is all about running multiple-read offense and making the calls at the LOS by the QB and that's what Wilson likes. Pickett is dumb as **** and wanted Canada to be kept cause of not being able to learn a new offense.

And Wilson is a SB champ and is coming off a very good year at Denver (certainly better than Pickett).

In what world does it make sense to NOT give Wilson more reps in preseason? It would be foolish to even think Pickett should somehow be treated on par as Wilson. the team told Pickett that because the team was honest about it and Pickett asked to be traded and the team obliged to Pickett's ask.

What's there to be upset about?

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. OB1

OB1 Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2022
    Exactly! Been messed up since Ben injury - it was about time to flush the old and start over.

Getting Wilson now and flushing the system, has put us back to when Ben got injured: we again have a proven SB champ veteran QB that hopefully has a couple of good years left. Now go find the next franchise QB ASAP instead of waiting 3 years and reaching for a ex-Pitt player.

7. Aerosteel

Aerosteel Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    And a lot of others think he owes the team something, which he doesn't. Not sure how benching him, signing his replacement and then lieing to him is coddling him. It's all probably for the best, for the team and him. But he got out because this team has been running a total clown show on offense since he got here and he wasn't willing to be the backup clown.

8. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    Hate to break it to you, but he played a major role in that clown show

9. Mashburn

Mashburn Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2021
    I so badly wanted to believe he wasn't a problem. But with him acting like this, I sadly wonder how bad he treated Mason.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    You are wrong. Can't fix a cry baby who can't deal or wants to compete with competition.

Pickett was traded to a team where he had no chance of starting/playing unless Hurts is injured, stops playing well, or the coaching staff changes.

At least he had the chance to start for the Steelers.

11. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    We don't know if the team recommended it or what part they played in the decision. The point is that he showed a commitment to coming back for the team. Why do you not understand that? Easy. You want a scapegoat who is gone. There's a lot of that going on around here today.

12. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022
    At some point, I will talk about this so-called hissy fit that has been grossly over played.
    But that really isn't the issue now.
    Whatever the reasons 'actually are' they are moot. We got some payback and each has moved on.
    I can say only that my opinion of our front office has now been significantly reduced.

I am in on Russell Wilson.... I sure do hope he is all that I hope.
    I would not go after Zack Wilson (I actually like him but I think he's shell shocked)
    I'm not sure whom I would look to as a Backup? There's not a lot of choices.
    Maybe they pick the Michigan QB and groom him.... though I have to say, I am not at all impressed with what I see as their idea of grooming.

Should be interesting

13. strummerfan

May 9, 2012
    I understand it just fine. I also understand that he got benched because of his crap play. Mason played the best 4 games we’ve seen in a few years.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. Aerosteel

Aerosteel Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Of course he did. But you have to admit, it has been total incompetence on every level. Sometimes when your company sucks and your work perfomance sucks within it, you need to find a new job.

15. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Exactly. That is why I have a problem with the trade. Even just as a backup, he had value. If they sign Tannehill, that could cost them more money against this year's cap. If they trade for Fields, it will cost them more in draft capital.

16. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    He was hurt. He wasn't benched. Wow, you are reaching for that scapegoat.

17. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    What don't you understand? Pickett wanted OUT. The Steelers gave him what he wanted.

A small setback/loss(1st round pick) for the Steelers.

The Steelers moved on from a lot of good to great players over the years. The Steelers found ways to win games and compete for championships for the Steeler fan base.

18. OB1

OB1 Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2022
    I agree with that as well. It's been a clown show of a team for a long time. Both management and players have been clowns.

At the end of the day, the team made the decision to go get Wilson, and Kenny decided to leave. I like that outcome as I am hoping it brings us closer to the end of the clown show.

There are way less clowns on the team now: no canada, no colbert, no pickett, no dj, no fat punter, no loser muffing punts every other play, etc.

Now if they just don't extend Tomlin, then all clowns are gone and the clown era truly comes to an end.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. strummerfan

May 9, 2012
    When he was cleared to play did he? No. He was benched. You’re being obtuse

• Agree Agree x 4
  20. OB1

OB1 Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2022
    Pickett asked to be traded, not the team.

• Agree Agree x 2
  21. R2sojr

R2sojr Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2018
    Pickett shouldn’t have played for atleast 2 years but when you sign Mitch and expect him to be the guy, they already shot themselves in the foot. Yes the situation wasn’t handled well but the FO nor Tomlin never publicly let ppl know how bad it was getting. Both parties are now happy so they can move on. The main thing is when Mason came in, it was a totally different team. So no it wasn’t a Canada problem, it was a Kenny and Canada problem. Kenny also went to bat for Canada to be brought back the next year.

He refused to dress against Seattle week 17 as QB3, he lost the team right then and there. His play prior didnt allow him to have that attitude. So both parties have fault in this.

• Agree Agree x 2
  22. Confluence

Confluence Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2017
    Pickett grew up an eagles fan. He probably preferred to be a back up for the eagles. Also, I think players were really starting rally behind RW and that might have something to do with him wanting a trade. He had lost the locker room to RW. But he should have accepted his back up roll and still competed as 2nd QB, but that's not what happened. Wanted out and got out.

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    It’s common sense that he would likely end up in a worse situation.

They did him no favors.

24. OB1

OB1 Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2022
    they gave him what he asked for - I call that a favor.

pickett has no common sense asking to leave.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  25. jimmyallen45

jimmyallen45 Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    I hope he does well. Barring injury he will be lucky to get 30 snaps next season. I always saw Kenny as a Frank Reich type, someone just not good enough to start for a sustained period, but good enough to bring a spark off the bench and win some games in relief.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.