1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Pickett traded to Eagles

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by uncblue012, Mar 15, 2024.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Run, you liar. Run. I pointed out the inconsistency in your post and you can't handle it, so you pull this nonsense.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2024
  2. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I have been saying this for years. It is a big part of my problem with the trade.

3. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Gave first team reps to Wilson? Has training camp already started? Lol

4. bleednblackngold

bleednblackngold Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2015
    Every team he plays for will already have a better qb.

5. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    In order to compete against a 36 year old quarterback there needs to be an actual competition. Trubisky signed a 2 year deal the year Pickett was drafted. Trubisky got all the 1st team reps that preseason with Rudolph getting limited duty in the preseason and Pickett got cleanup duty and performed the best of the three albeit against scrubs and guys that would be cut. Yet Trubisky remained the starter until he proved ineffective and they threw Pickett in the deep end to see how he would do. Did Rudolph have the opportunity to beat out Trubisky or a rookie?

Ben comes back from a devastating injury and was a shell of his former self. Did any other QB have the opportunity to become the starter due to Ben's obvious decline? Landry Jones was passed over for Dobbs and Rudolph but Tomlin said it was an open competition even though Jones never got a chance that preseason to compete. Tomlin signed Vick off the street and Jones never had a shot to start over him until it became clear that Vick was done. Tomlin has a long history of saying open competition but already decided who won.

In this situation it was apparent that no matter how Pickett performed Tomlin was starting Wilson. Can't beat someone when there is no competition.

6. Rocky Mtn

Rocky Mtn Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2023
    Understandable.Its just the old school in me that says stay the course with your teammates. But you're right, it's all about the Benjamins,and rediculous amounts since the dawn of free agency. Shoot,it's tapping into college recruits now.

7. Aerosteel

Aerosteel Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Exactly. I really don't understand some people's anger and derision of Pickett. The team moved on from him. First by not reinserting him as the starter during the season when he was healthy and then signing Wilson in the off-season. What was he supposed to do? Get jerked around for 6 years like Rudolph? Good on him.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I didn't cop out of anything, but it isn't one person. I am certain that Rooney and Khan had some say in the decisions, but I would put most of it on Tomlin. Even Colbert has some part in it. He was at fault for some of the issues on the offensive line. The decisions to keep passing on quality centers didn't help, first Biadasz and then Humphrey. The real killer was sticking with Canada. He was a disaster, one they should have seen coming given his previous failure at LSU. He had to rely on Johnson, whose crap was enough that they just traded him without having a replacement in place. They mostly means Tomlin, but others bear some responsibility for those issues, too.

9. 58stillers

58stillers

Nov 14, 2011
    Been away from the site for a while, I must say this KP trade came as a shock, as did the Russell Wilson signing. I can't say I was a KP lover or hater, just a believer that he was put into a difficult position..... with a BAD OC and bad OL. I really expected playing out his rookie contract for evaluation would have made more sense.

Now we are stuck with our only QB being a washed up 36 year old RW. I really don't see how he makes us any better, I'd expect him to get killed in our "pocket". According to PFF he's been sacked 100 times in two seasons with Denver along with mediocre stats and wins.

I hope that Omar has a plan, and a bit skeptical that Tomlin will be able to execute the plan. But I'll still wear my black and gold..... even with fears of mid/late 1980's. Ugh.

10. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I would feel a lot better if we had DJ right now, we aren’t going to get his type of production next year from a rookie or any of the free agents currently out there.

Only having Pickens to throw to, and no Center will get Wilson killed.

11. OB1

OB1 Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2022
    Agreed that the team has done funny business when it comes to QB selection since Ben's injury. I've been bashing them about that since Ben came back.

In Pickett's case, here are two possible scenarios:

1. There was going to be a real QB competition, in which case, Pickett shat the bed and chickened out and it's good they traded him.
    2. There was NOT going to be a real QB competition and Wilson is the defacto starter (what you described and very likely). In this case, the team did a favor to Pickett to trade him the second he asked to leave.

I still don't see an issue with what happened to Pickett here - the team did him a solid in either scenario.

The only issue is perhaps the team should have been much more cut-throat and kept Pickett longer to get a better deal from someone else. but steelers suffer from being a player-friendly org.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    But we cannot un-see it. You should though be given a bravery award Forgotten - for trying to post during an X Class Solar Flare/CME (coronal mass ejection) attack. :thumbs_up:

13. Trafalgar

Trafalgar Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2016

Exactly, but Pickett didn't want to compete. What entitled him to think he'd be the QB presumptive going into the 24-25 season aftewr what he'd shown in 24 starts?

Russell Wilson, Tannehill, Fields, Rudolph they were always going to comepte with him for the job because he's not played well enough to be the undisputed #1 - far from it in fact.

They haven't given in to him, he quit. If he stayed around all that would create is more antipathy within the locker room and more drama.

14. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    This assumes he was going to be given the opportunity to compete with Wilson this season. Do you believe that?

Referring to his response as quitting is misleading and there is no evidence to support your claim that he would have caused drama in the locker room. By minicamp, he would have had time to put some thought into the situation, but it certainly seems as if the Steelers got impatient and gave in rather than showing patience.

15. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    I’m sorry, but to me this is a crock. The Steelers said they had faith in him. I will admit it’s entirely possible they didn’t. However, it’s also entirely possible the situation simply changed. Their job is to win super bowls. They had the opportunity to add a 9 time pro bowl qb to the roster for 1.2 million. It would have been foolish for them to have passed on wilson. That leaves bigk with two options. He can go out there work his ass off and earn the #1 spot or quit. He chose to quit. Screw him

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    He had surgery to rush his return from injury last season and they didn't let him back on the field when he was cleared. They told him this was the year he would get his shot, then signed Wilson, who was going to be the starter regardless of what Pickett did in training camp and preseason. This wasn't bringing in Trubisky. Wilson may be in decline, but given his resume, it was clear Tomlin was going to start him.

The Steelers made it clear they didn't have faith in Pickett when they traded him. That is what proves the lie. If you have faith in a quarterback, you don't trade him for such a small return even if he does request a trade. You tell him he had his shot and he needs to spend this season proving he deserves another one. It takes work to deal with an unhappy player. Given how quickly they did this, they chose not to put in that work.

So yes, the Steelers lied. I don't have a problem with them doing it, but I can understand Pickett feeling differently.

17. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    When I said “all in” I meant they would build a team to win this year. If that’s the case, they won’t sign an expensive back up or draft a QB early. If they don’t think they can do it, they’ll draft a QB early if one is available. Let him sit on the bench for a year.

18. strummerfan

May 9, 2012
    Did they force surgery upon himor is he a grown man capable of making his own decisions?

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. BobbyBiz

BobbyBiz Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    True...but there's more to it. It is being reported that he was told that he and Russ would compete, then told that Russ would get the first team reps through OTAs and training camp.

Also, from his pov, this is after he was benched for Rudolph after he got healthy.

Whatever the case, I think we can all agree that the Steelers really bungled the whole situation.

They were set to go with Trubisky and Mason, then fell in love with KP and drafted him.

Then they had a "competition" in training camp and stuck far too long with a horrible OC. Finally fired him half way through the second season, then benched their starting QB even though his only full game without the horrible OC was one of his best.

Then the fell in love with a future HOFer with a cheap price tag and signed him.

It was a very herky-jerky process. I understand his frustration. I think what theyve done is best...clean house and start with a clean slate. I think it's best for all....Pickett, Mason, and the Steelers.

• Agree Agree x 3
  20. ljkjr74

ljkjr74 Well-Known Member

May 7, 2015
    And then there is one.

21. BobbyBiz

BobbyBiz Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    Surgery was required to repair the injury....

22. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    They informed Pickett that Wilson would be getting first team reps. At least they had the decency to tell him that before camp.

At that point Kenny knew it wasnt a competition.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  23. strummerfan

May 9, 2012
    No, it wasn’t. Kenny chose the surgery to speed up recovery for a high ankle sprain.

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. strummerfan

May 9, 2012

y’all seem to think the team owes him something. They don’t. Period. Their job is to make the team better, not coddle a grown man. The opportunity to improve the team presented itself and they took it. Kenny couldn’t take the heat.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  25. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    They didnt do him a solid, they sent him to a place he will sit on the bench for 2 years barring and injury.

What they should have done was let him cool off and then talk to him as to why it would be in his best interest to stay and back up Wilson. Despite all the excitement, there is a very real possibility Wilson flames out this season. If he doesnt and plays his way into an extension, they could trade Pickett next season.

• Winner Winner x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.