1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Pickett traded to Eagles

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by uncblue012, Mar 15, 2024.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Sodfather

The Sodfather Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2014
    Shocking. But I like that the team is being proactive. Cole isn't getting the job done? Move on. Same with Peterson and Harvin. I've read speculation where Pickett requested a trade. You don't want to be here? Bye, Felicia. I don't care what they got back. I personally didn't see Pickett becoming much more than a decent back-up. Khan and Weidl aren't screwing around. However, now they need to likely sign another vet and draft a QB in addition to a center and wide receiver.

2. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    I had a good idea that KP was done as the starter last season when they needed wins down the stretch and they left him on the bench but I certainly wasn’t expecting this. They have basically given him away, and if that’s the best offer they got it tells you what they and the rest of the league think of Kenny.

Thing is he’d have a much better chance of establishing himself if he stuck with the Steelers. Wilson is 35 and definitely not the long term answer. Hurts is much younger and is going nowhere. Kenny’s best play long term was to knuckle down, sit for a year and hope to win the job back next season. He has no chance of starting in Philly barring injury to Hurts.

I feel for Kenny, he really wasn’t put in a good situation but I think asking for a trade here was rash and foolish. Hope it works out for him all the same.

• Agree Agree x 4
  3. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Don't you old people say "That and a Nickel will buy you a Hamburger"? :)

4. Confluence

Confluence Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2017
    OL in the first round, best remaining QB in the second not named Spencer Rattler

5. Steelvision

Steelvision Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2022
    Should’ve kept Mason

6. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Looking that way.

7. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Now you just have to figure out how to change a #8 jersey into a #3 jersey. Seems with some black Duck-Tape it could be done.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Steel Acorn

Steel Acorn Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    I think they are really moving toward having players that want to be here and have an opportunity to excel, or resurrect their career. Getting rid of "character issues" reflects that this is an ultimately a team sport, and building that is a tough job. When Russ became available, he was clearly an upgrade, especially with the salary being so friendly, so the whole dynamic changed.

Gonna be an interesting draft.

• Like Like x 1
  9. jeh1856

jeh1856 Nap time

Oct 26, 2011
    And I 100% believe you believe that

10. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    He’s not a millennial.
    But guess who is? Russel Wilson

• Like Like x 1
  11. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012

You really shouldn’t be. Tomlin was 100% truthful in his season ending presser. Pickett was at the time the only qb under contract making him the starter by default. Tomlin also said there would be competition and that little bi tch knows it’s a big moment for him. To put it another way it was time for Pickett to put up or shut up. There was talk at the time of benching Pickett or firing Canada. Tomlin opted for Canada. Rooney even said “ we saw what the offense was capable of with good quarterback play”. That alone should speak volumes. Clearly little bi tch believed he should be given the starting job and doesn’t have the balls to try and win the job. So now he gets to sit on the bench in Philadelphia

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. jeh1856

jeh1856 Nap time

Oct 26, 2011
    Yes we do

I also talk about gas costing 25 cents

Shave and a haircut two bits :smiley1:

FYI Brice two bits is 25 cents

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  13. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    That and a nickel will get you a "5 cent" hamburger.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Steelpens65

Steelpens65 Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2021
    Once again, KFP was historically bad not just bad. What did you expect to get for him? My friend is an Eagle fan, he was like wtf did we get KFP for.
    I wouldve been happy to get a roll of copenhagen for KFP!
    Also, can anyone explain what the Eagles were thinking?

15. Steelpens65

Nov 28, 2021
    Or you can suck my pickle for a nickle

16. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    They really ****ed him. First by saddling him with Canada, then letting him get surgery and then shutting him down for the year and then all the smoke they blew up his ass. Then the final straw, he was told he would compete but then Tomlin told him Wilson is in the poles position and would get first reps. Thats a slap in the face, Kenny lost his job to injury and then was pushed to the back in the “competition”. He was the starter, he should have been getting first reps, he knew he wasnt starting at that point and asked out.

Any man here that says they’d take all that in stride, congratulation, you’re Gandhi.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    So many things either are true or seem to be true about this. I only had time for a couple of quick posts earlier, but these have been going through my head.
    1. Pickett is a bust. Maybe the Steelers are wrong and he will become a good NFL quarterback, but that doesn't matter. To give up a first-round pick this quickly for so little return makes the guy a bust.
    2. Khan and Tomlin both lied about Pickett. As I wrote above, I don't blame them. If they had any thought of trading him at some point, they pretty much had to lie, but it was some serious bull****. You don't do what they did today if you still "have full faith and confidence" in a quarterback, as Khan said. You don't do that you think this is going to be a "big year for him," as Tomlin said. Coaches lie. General Managers lie. It's part of the game.
    3. This does not mean Pickett was going to last until the third round two years ago. Every indication out there was he was going to be taken in the first. Of course, it was a bad pick, but spare me the revisionist nonsense.
    4. Passing on Tyler Linderbaum two years ago was a huge mistake. The Steelers had a huge hole at center then. They have just as big a hole there now. They had the chance to fix it with a plug-and-play stud who will be there for a decade and passed. By the way, this isn't entirely hindsight. Many of us, myself included, wanted Linderbaum with that pick. I wrote as much before and after they took Pickett. I was happy they chose Pickett over Willis, but Linderbaum was my first choice. This team's refusal to put the proper resources into finding a center still confounds me.
    5. The Steelers failed Pickett. Sure, he failed them some, too, but they could not have handled him worse. This article has a good rundown of the way they blew it with Pickett and the overall dysfunction of the organization. They threw him in there for Trubisky as a rookie despite not getting the first-team reps. They saddled him with Matt Canada as an offensive coordinator. They put him behind a line he couldn't trust, especially the center. Maybe he wouldn't have developed under any circumstances, but the ones he did face were not good.
    6. The Steelers have no clue what they are doing with their quarterbacks. Signing Trubisky was a bust. Though Rudolph is a good backup and no more than a bridge starter, they underestimated him. They gave up way too quickly on a quarterback they thought could be their guy just a year ago. Now they have Russell Wilson for a year and nothing else. Maybe they have a plan to address that, but man, it doesn't look good right now.
    7. Signing Wilson has to work. Otherwise, they set the franchise way back. If he fails, even using Pickett as a bridge if they don't think he's the guy would have been better. I still think re-signing Rudolph and letting him compete with Pickett would have been a better option than all this.
    8. Trading Pickett like this looks stupid. Even keeping him as a cheap backup makes more sense than the resources they are likely to have to expend to acquire a decent backup.
    9. Oddly enough, despite all this, I'm more comfortable with them signing Wilson than I was when it happened. Either they are right and Pickett is a bust or they are wrong and this franchise is going to be a ****show for a while, anyway.
    10. If they were going to do this, they should have tried to trade for Howell. Give them at least a decent backup and a guy who could be a bridge next year after Wilson.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2024
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. SteelersFanCanada

SteelersFanCanada Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2019
    We want volunteers, not hostages.

• Winner Winner x 2
  19. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    I will laugh for days if little bi tch ends up the #3 in Philly.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Sums up my personal thoughts on the whole Kenny Pickett fiasco.

Becoming more and more of a believer of what people like @HeinzMustard and @KnoxVegasSteel have been stating for a while. Tomlin's ability to develop QBs has been truly lackluster... to say the least. Whomever the next QB is?!.... man.....

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  21. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Y'all are way too focused on one statistic. The list of first-round quarterbacks who were worse is insanely long.

22. Steelpens65

Nov 28, 2021
    Just visited an Eagles message board. Here is one reaction:
    2 hours ago, time2rock said:
    We our giving up a late 3rd (our comp pick) and 2 x 2025 7th rd picks for him PLUS their 4th. That’s not giving up much.

For the QB with the worst ever attempts to touchdown ratio for QB's over 500 pass attempts since records began?

This is a crap trade, for a bad QB, who isn't going to play enough to even be a reclamation project.

I would genuinely rather they'd traded for Zach '80's lesbian tennis player' Wilson than this tiny handed clown.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  23. Steelpens65

Nov 28, 2021
    Really? Thats sad

24. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I agree with #5...but this won't set us back since Wilson comes relatively cheap. It only sucks that we need 2 back up QB's ...there was no foresight with that.

I guess Kenny sucks and no one wanted him, however: I did just see a rumor from earlier today that said Justin Jefferson for Kenny straight up...I could have seen that happening. We should have gotten better comp or called Pickett's bluff.

I get it ... unless you have a guy on your team named Mahomes...you ain't even in the convo for Superbowls. Kenny wasn't they guy, maybe we draft that guy in a year or two. I'm fine to ride with Wilson this year.

25. Quadrupleyoi

Quadrupleyoi Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2017
    https://tenor.com/bcTHp.gif

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.