1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Free Agency Thread

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Blast Furnace, Mar 5, 2024.

1. Rollers

Rollers Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2016
    Wait. Kool Aid??? hehe right now im kind of high gut that just crackjs me up!!! why would he be acalled kool aid?????? did his mom hate him?

2. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    We've been there on this one. His actual name is D'Quincy. You'd go by Kool Aid too.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Hey, we can use a good #3 WR too!

Even if they sign Boyd, I can see them going after someone else (#2 WR) as well. Maybe Mike Willams?

• Like Like x 1
  4. SuperSteelers

SuperSteelers Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2018
    Pay that man his money! He would be an excellent fit in Smith's scheme.

5. Quadrupleyoi

Quadrupleyoi Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2017
    Actually Ga’Quincy. He has an unnecessary apostrophe and Ga is close enough to La that I will accept it. He is destined to be all-pro at least, draft him!!!!

6. Thor

Thor

Mar 20, 2014
    The trick there is getting past the Bears at the ninth pick. The consensus still has them taking Williams with the first overall. If so, Maye/Daniels likely go to Washington and New England, putting Harrison Jr. to the Cards at 1.4. The Giants take Nabers at 1.6, and the Bears take Odunze at 1.9.

But hey, part of the fun of the draft is not knowing what the hell some teams will do.

7. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

?!

Marvin Harrison Jr?! Top 10?!

If he gets past the Chargers my jaw is gonna drop!! MH Jr. is the best player in the class. Even if his position is heavily dependent on his QB, Kyler Murray and Justin Herbert are by no means bad QBs to catch passes from. Hell, even without those two, MH Jr. instantly upgrades any WR Room the second he is drafted; no matter how stacked they are.

8. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    The No. 1 receiver on one team accounted for a larger percentage of his team's passing yardage than the No. 3 receivers on another team. Go figure.

9. steelersrock151

Nov 18, 2011
    Plus Charges just released Mike Williams, so they'll be looking to replace him in round 1.

• Like Like x 1
  10. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    reading from Kaboly (and others) that Pats are the / another party interested in Boyd. may take a few days to sort?

WHY would Boyd want to play there, other then they overpay him, which is what you have to do when you rebuild. Cold, and going anywhere fast, but money $$$ talks. maybe that is where he lands, I guess we will see.

Steelers seems to me like best fit for him.

11. jeh1856

jeh1856 Nap time

Oct 26, 2011
    Rumor has two other teams interested

As you say money talks

But Pittsburgh is where his home and family is and for many people that is valuable

I could see him giving the Steelers the right to match or maybe even taking slightly less

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  12. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    Hard to really make a big deal about where in the pecking order they sit when Boyd can be the "#3" and out target our "#1" receiver in 2023 by 11 targets. It appears that being Joe Burrow's #3 offers more opportunity to succeed than being Pickett's #1....

This is a weird argument to have. Johnson is a far better player than Boyd and I am not sure why so many are trying to make the argument that he is not? Is it purely just dislike and bias? Boyd is a fine enough player, but he's coming off a season with the lowest yards and TD's he's had since 2017, and the lowest YPC of his career... He's already 29 years old, so a huge rebound is unlikely. He is older and his game is already starting to decline. He's likely a bit of an upgrade over Robinson, but he is vastly worse than DJ. He'd be a fine pick up, but a WR corps that has Tyler Boyd as the #2 is not a good WR corps.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    I think Boyd is closer to Johnson than you are giving credit. That Johnson takes plays off and pouts is part of the evaluation.

14. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Hollywood is another FA they could look to, he gives you more of what DJ offered in contrast to Pickens.

Losing DJ isn’t as big a blow as some are making it and I say that as one of his biggest fans here.

• Agree Agree x 3
  15. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    I understand that this is a prevailing assessment around here, but I just don't agree. I think Boyd is much closer to Robinson than he is DJ. Diontae has his warts, but he is a tremendous player. Boyd is a fine player in his own right, but he isn't someone at this point of his career that you'd be jazzed up about being the second best WR on your team. Boyd would be great if we paired him with Pickens and a first round pick.

16. NDsteelerfan

NDsteelerfan Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    i just cannot get behind anyone related to AB...crazy usually runs in the family

17. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    As the 3rd receiver, that would be very good. You look at his numbers from last year though and they match up to what DJ provided with the biggest difference being TD’s. Boyd was behind Chase and Higgins and didnt have Burrow last year so hes hardly a bum and he fits better in Smiths offense than DJ would have. I suspect that is a big part of why he was moved. I think he’d have been in Smiths dog house fairly quickly and then they’d have to deal with his pouting all year.

18. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    As far as I know he hasn’t made any waves during his time in the league. Biggest concern with him is injuries.

19. steelersrock151

Nov 18, 2011
    At least you don't have to change your username......

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  20. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011

Forgot Samuel was out there. That would be a good signing, Smith could get creative with him.

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I don’t know how these factors are for the Pittsburgh area, but in Pats’ country his cost of living and state income taxes would be very high.

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. Lambert

Lambert Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2015
    Yeah, I mentioned Samuel a couple days ago in one of these threads. Good player and I feel like he's underrated because of team and circumstance. Not sure about health and tread on the tires but I'd certainly look into him.

• Like Like x 1
  23. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    not a fan of Brown. Lived most of my life in B'More, watched him his first 3-4 years

He is small, soft (cannot block) - doubt he is our guy. and he cannot get off defenders in press coverage. that is why is yet on the FA market a 3rd time

Boyd will hit you.

hopeful still as of this hour!

24. Lambert

Lambert Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2015

• Like Like x 1
  25. steelersrock151

Nov 18, 2011
    Oline, Dline, and WR to go. Thought they'd get Edmunds back, but I'll take this.