1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Farewell Mason Rudolph

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Blast Furnace, Mar 13, 2024.

1. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    I amazed at all the supporters of MR lately saying that he wasn’t given a fair opportunity in Pittsburgh. He had plenty. He just didn’t do anything with it.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    I wonder what constitutes a fair chance in some of these peoples minds?

• Winner Winner x 3
  3. Voice of Reason

Voice of Reason Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2019
    I agree about the paltry contract - 1 year no less, which is not exactly a ringing endorsement. Keeping in mind, Joe Flacco just got more than double that from the Colts.

I think the league values Mason differently than some on this Board. I appreciate what Mason did at the end of the season, but he is who most thought he was (a backup QB). The demand for his services and value of his contracts show how the league is looking at him (twice now in two years).

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Wishing you the BEST, Mason.

no Mason and NO PLAYOFFS, January - and MT might have gotten his ASS FIRED

5. Voice of Reason

Jan 7, 2019
    You picked 2 years ago to sensationalize your point. Why not pick last year, where Wilson is coming off a 26 TD and 8 Int year?

If Wilson can repeat last years stat line, I think most Steelers fans would be happy with that (given where we have been recently).

This isn’t directed at STD, but more to the Wilson naysayers. What other option would you have preferred over Wilson? Anyone with a glimmer of hope would have come with a big price tag (see Flacco). The fact that we have some room under the cap let us get Queen (and maybe others). People are so zoomed in on QB, they are missing the bigger picture.

6. Philofarnsworth79

Philofarnsworth79 Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2019
    The league views mason based off the Steelers treatment & evaluation of him which was CLEARLY misguided at best & misleading at worst... The last 4 games showed what almost the entire team already knew & were vocal about,,, Rudolph should've been the starter the entire time... this is obvious to all but the biggest Pickett fanboys...

• Agree Agree x 3
  7. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020

he needs to PLAY - he may win that job in TN - he may light it up - the story is still to be written perhaps. stay tuned, come back in the winter, we all will be here.

He showed talent for a quarter of a season.

More than we saw from a #1 draft pick for 2 years.

that is what the "fans" liked....

• Winner Winner x 1
  8. Voice of Reason

Jan 7, 2019
    Just so I can understand your argument - the rest of the league is going off how Rudolph was treated but fans know better because they saw the last four games (which the teams saw and have film on)?

edit - I’m not a Pickett fanboy either, the jury is out on him and he has a lot to prove. The fact of the matter is that the team isn’t going to walk away from a first round pick after 2 years.

9. Trafalgar

Trafalgar Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2016
    His market was absolutely rock-bottom.

10. WoodleyKick

WoodleyKick Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    I wish him the best. I was hoping things would work out here, though.

11. Voice of Reason

Jan 7, 2019
    Since you brought up Pickett, which has nothing to do with my comments, I’ll bring up Wilson. Would you prefer Rudolph over Wilson for the upcoming season?

12. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Meh. I would have rather seen them sign Rudolph than Wilson, but the latter did save them a little money. I actually thought Rudolph would get a little more money than that, but it shows that the rest of the league isn't nearly as impressed with Rudolph as many of the posters on this board.

• Winner Winner x 1
  13. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    Russell Wilson is a SB Champion 9 time pro bowler. Yes he’s 36 years old but has great fundamentals when it comes to scrambling and finding open receivers. His veteran leadership will be valuable. Mason Rudolph is nothing more than a back up.

• Agree Agree x 3
  14. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    This ignores that eight of Pickett's interceptions came in his first five starts, with only five in the next 19. It also ignores that Pickett's numbers are spread over two seasons and Rudolph's are spread over six, including one offseason when he was a free agent and no other team wanted him as a starter or even as a No. 2. But hey, everyone here knew all that, right?

• Winner Winner x 1
  15. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    This is what we should be taking away from Rudolph's new contract. He improved how the league sees him, but not by all that much. Even I was surprised by how little he got.

• Like Like x 1
  16. jeh1856

jeh1856 Nap time

Oct 26, 2011
    God willing

17. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020

No, I prefer Wilson, solely on maturity. But I know he is limited w age, mobility, etc.

He can fall hard and fast, I do think that.

we do have a QB mess long term

io think they are playing to suffocate on defense - score ~24 a week, win 11-13 games and see what happens in January.

Strong running game, Russell is good, best at play action - and will love GP.

But I think Mason has upside, may still make a career out of it. just took too long to get out of the gates here, unfortunately.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2024
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. jeh1856

jeh1856 Nap time

Oct 26, 2011

He’s getting paid more than I expected but the one year contract says a lot about how “hot” his market was

19. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020

he is still young. he keeps a roster spot. his career started poorly. maybe it improves. he does hot have much wear and tear on him.

are there other examples of late bloomers like him - if in fact, he kicks into gear in his late 20's? I would need to think on that one. He could win that job in TN or assume the job and possibly excel due to injury. We will see......

20. jeh1856

jeh1856 Nap time

Oct 26, 2011
    I like Mason better than I liked Vinny Testverde and he played 20+ years

I think we would both enjoy collecting a back up quarterbacks salary for 10-20 years

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022
    He kind of fits in Tennessee.
    Levis and Willis don't generate much excitement.
    If I were them, Willis is a very good athlete, just not at QB. I would convert him to a slash type of guy.
    I like Levis' determination. But he's like a Peavey Amp, not a lot of headroom.

Tenn. picks 15th. I can't see them going QB.

22. Philofarnsworth79

Philofarnsworth79 Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2019
    Was there anything complicated or ambiguous about my "argument"(actually i simply stated facts not arguments) that made it hard for you to understand? The last 4 games are why Rudolph got any offers at all, & should put the question in your mind of why he wasn't starting... What is it that most of the players & fans saw in Rudolph that you didn't??? Just so I can understand your argument...

23. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    Wishing Mason well, the last couple of games he played I did notice improvement hanging in the pocket and his touch and accuracy on long balls. He also handled being lied to like a professional.

24. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Glass half full: Mason improved his status from a #3 to a #2 with his performance at the end of last season, with a new contract for 2024 that tripled his pay from 2023.

Glass half empty: Mason’s performance at the end of last season wasn’t enough to convince any QB needy team that he’s a starter, so he needed to sign a 1 year contract that places him in the pay range of lower or mid tier #2 QBs.

Both are true.

• Winner Winner x 1
  25. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    to be fair wilson only signed a 1 year deal and we are a qb needy team too. :cool:

• Winner Winner x 1