1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Russell Wilson

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steelersfan43, Feb 20, 2024.

1. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I don't really get the opposition to signing Wilson.
    If he's not better than Pickett then he won't play. If he is better than Pickett and plays, isn't it a good thing we signed someone better than Pickett?
    We were never going to sign Cousins, Baker or any other expensive QB. I would have theoretically liked either, but with the cost, it was never going to happen.
    So we either roll with Kenny or bring someone in and let the best man win. Whether that's Kenny or Wilson, who cares. Just play the guy who gives us the best chance to win

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    If nothing else, bringing Russell Wilson in should light a fire under Kenny and Mason to really practice harder. Not saying they don’t now but they should both put forth extra effort starting immediately.

3. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Why does that affect Rudolph? He's not a Steeler anymore. If he is stuck re-signing with them, that the entire league passed on him again should be plenty to light a fire under his ass regardless of the presence of Wilson. It would also be strong evidence that I'm right about him. :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020

the opposition is b/c people prefer their bias' over winning, over putting the best 53 men on the roster for the 2024 season to their feeble minded fan preferences, to see how far we can get.

it is really THAT SIMPLE.

don't allow yourself to think much further than that.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    And if the Steelers actually improve, and win a playoff game or two, it's really hard to move the goalposts on those Fire Tomlin threads.

6. OX1947

OX1947 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2017
    Wilson for the minimum as a back up QB? Hell of a pick up. If Kenny sucks, he fills in and the Steelers can stock pile offensive linemen and defensive players in the draft.

with some luck, Steelers draft their franchise QB either in this draft or the next. What else can they do at this point. They will never tank.

7. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    :beathorse:

8. Voice of Reason

Voice of Reason Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2019
    I sincerely hope that doesn’t happen. If Wilson comes in and is the better QB, then he needs the start. Anything else will further erode the locker room.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    It is never a good sign when you have to recommend that people not think so they can see things your way.

The Denver Broncos just chose to take an $85 million cap hit just to get rid of Wilson. If that doesn't tell you something, you really aren't thinking.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    How do you gauge that? The reports from training camp on Pickett last year were great. So was his performance in preseason. If he repeats that, it is certainly possible that he does more than Wilson to earn the job in the 2024 preseason, but Pickett still has to show he can get that to translate to the regular season. Obviously, Wilson has shown he can do that. The question with him is how much does he have left?

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    Just on a point of information - we didn't.

It was a poor offense, no mistake, and utterly painful to watch, but the Steelers somehow ranked 23rd, 23rd and 25th the last 3 years.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Born2Steel

Born2Steel Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2023
    Do not have to draft QB now.

Russell Wilson + Kenny Pickett > just Kenny Pickett.

Russell Wilson > Mason Rudolph + Mitch Trubisky

Art Smith > Matt Canada

These are improvements, upgrades.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    stick around

14. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Such sage advice. Maybe this not-thinking approach is working for you.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  15. Ytownsteeler

Ytownsteeler Well-Known Member

Oct 2, 2015

When you look at the talent we had on offense side, it was the worst coaching and quarterback play in the league. No other team went 3 years without a pulse on offense. The only time we won is if d had 2 turnovers or scored and even then game was close. KP was ranked 35th on the one qb rating site. NFLQB index. There are only 32 teams. Do the math....Kenny is rated worse than back ups.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  16. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I am sure you did a deep dive into the qualifications of NFLQB Index before citing them. That, or you just thoughtlessly regurgitated what you read on a site you hadn't even heard of before that moment.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  17. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    For me, I was arguing he might not just be handed the job and my preference would be to see Pickett get one more shot with a real OC before giving up on a first rd pick. Then if he is still struggling, make the switch.

They could do that in reverse, start Wilson and then bench him for Pickett should Wilson struggle but that seems less likely. Wilson will probably play well enough to stay on the field but Im not convinced he puts them over the top. At least with Pickett there was the unknown that maybe he elevates his game significantly under Smith.

Smith is really going to have to game plan to fit Wilson who plays out of structure a lot and can’t play on time. Not an easy task. I suspect a heavy dose of play action and rolling Wilson out but not sure how they handle the MOF which Smith likes to use and Wilson can’t.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Lambert

Lambert Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2015
    Giving KP some time to learn a new system, while working with coaches to improve footwork, better understand Defenses, etc. could be a big help. Wilson may or may not be certain things that people don't/like but he's a smart QB.

• Like Like x 1
  19. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I still think the Steelers would be smart to bring in a Penix, Rattler, Travis in the mid rounds.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. Steelpens65

Steelpens65 Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2021
    This, great post. This is what concerns me. Both Seattle and Denver combined lost 110 million dollars to be rid of Wilson. Yet some still think Wilson is still the same qb that won a Superbowl many years ago
    Probably the same that thought picking up Vick was a good idea too. Steelers have lost their direction in this new day and time

21. Steelpens65

Nov 28, 2021
    Can you tell me the last time Wilson won a playoff game?

22. Steelpens65

Nov 28, 2021
  23. djetok

djetok Member

Jan 24, 2024
    It is really cheap money for experience. It shakes things up in the qb room. His name isn’t danger Russ for nothing. Maybe find your 3rd qb as undrafted free agent. Build your line and find a corner.

In all honesty on financial side , Russ probably makes the Steelers close to his salary in merch.

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. Steelpens65

Nov 28, 2021
    I agree, got him on the cheap. I hope it works out, but we still dont have a franchise qb. Noone is going to pick Mason up, noone.
    Qb room:
    Wilson
    KFP
    Mason
    2 stooges from last year, though Mason was the best qb we had. Wilson is yet to show what he can do
    Also, Bills jumped right on Mitch, is the problem with the Steelers?
    Why didnt Bills jump on Mason?

25. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Somebody will sign Mason. Reports are that several teams are interested in him as their primary backup. I'm sure Mason would like to have a shot at starting, so I look for him to sign with a team that has question marks at QB1. Unfortunately, I don't think that's going to be the Steelers.