1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Najee’s 5th will cost 7 million

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Blast Furnace, Feb 24, 2024.

1. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020

nope - DON'T DO IT! Pay Warren - longer deal, cheaper.

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  2. SteelersfaninPhilly

SteelersfaninPhilly Well-Known Member

Apr 26, 2018
    it's a three-year deal for Saquon Barkley worth $37.75 million with $26 million guaranteed.

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    Warren cannot be the feature RB. We've seen what happens when teams can gameplan against him as the long-term starter. Yes, I think he's still a very good RB and a homerun threat, but his overall numbers aren't the workhorse numbers Najee is putting up.

Hell, Najee outperformed Barkley over his years in the NFL! They better work something out with him this offseason that keeps his number down if they want to have a running game past this year.

• Agree Agree x 5
  4. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    The Steelers will probably pay or extend Najee.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    This

6. Bubbahotep

Bubbahotep Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2022
    Harris' market is being set by the 8 RBs that changed teams so far this season. The higher end guys are $8M (Pollard) to $13M (Barkley). The lower tier players are $4-6M. Harris ain't no Barkley so I think he'll end up in the $8-10M range. That is, unless the Steelers think his "leadership" is worth another $3- 5M. Hint: it aint.

7. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    You're right Harris ain't no Barkley, Harris stays healthy he hasn't missed a game in his career.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020

when?

and I'd add , that is with an INCOMPETENT OC and less than talented QB....

my point is - Warren will sign this year, a 4 yr deal. Najee will get tendered his 5th yr most likely (do it now or do it after this season - that is what I would do)

Keep the Najee powder dry for a couple more years.

9. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    For Najee that decision has to be made by May 2nd. Can't do it after the season.

10. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020

thank you, I have asked that for a month, I could not find the answer, thank you.

if that is the case, then I say 'no brainer' - do it.

Lock these 2 down at least 2 more yrs together.

The world may be over by 2026!

11. jeh1856

jeh1856 Just chilling

Oct 26, 2011
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    The incompetent offensive coordinator held down Warren, but he didn't slow down Pickett. Sure. lol

13. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020

the CLOWN SHOW continues

can someone check to make sure this CAT is NOT KENNY!!

LOL!!!!!

14. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Tell us again how we need to not think to see your point of view.

15. Bubbahotep

Bubbahotep Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2022
    He played a month with a metal foot when he should have sat and healed. Didn't do the running game any favors. Plus, Barkley has breakaway speed, Harris not so much.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. SteelersUK

SteelersUK Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2017
    I really hope we take the 5th year option, the Najee/Warren one two punch has been our only consistent threat.

If we can actually have a competent passing game this year and start pushing the ball down field, gaps will open up for more splash plays on the ground.

And I hate seeing people judge Najee off 3.9ypc as if he hasn’t been running behind a swiss cheese O line since he arrived. He led the league in broken tackles and was 3rd in yards after contact.

If Harris had spent the last 3 years running behind the same calibre O line as say Bell did, I’d imagine the conversation about contracts would be a whole lot different and we’d be talking about if he’d played his way out of our price range for a long term deal

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Brice

Brice

Jul 18, 2018
    Post Draft: Did the Steelers pickup Najee's Fifth?

I know they announced they would not be picking up Justin Fields 5th year option already.

18. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

No word just yet.

That said, time is running out. Three days remaining.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  19. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I don't understand why they wouldn't do it. I wouldn't want to sign him past that fifth year, but he seems like a bargain at that price.

20. Robert

Robert Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2016
    I have to get my Najee pom poms out ....

His 2 biggest weaknesses imo are that he is not fast and he tried to get outside far too much. I don't know if he went there because of the play calling, or because he was missing the holes in the middle. But he needs to not try and outrun defense guys that are a lot faster than he is on his run to the sideline.

Play calling for much of last year was extremely predictable. There were commentators pointing out how their preteen kids were calling the plays before they happened. The Steelers seemed to telegraph everything they were doing. That's deadly to a running back. On top of that, our o-line was not supporting the run very well for a big part of the year. They improved a lot towards the end, but Najee's stats include all those games in the first part of the season when we had Canada as a play caller, an o line that was ranking near dead last in the league, and a lackluster performance from the quarterback room.

When Najee was able to get past the line of scrimmage, he was extremely difficult to take down. If he can learn to find those holes a little bit better or maybe with some improvement on the o-line, we will see a dramatic increase in his yards per carry average.

21. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    At what point has he shown that he would whine about his option being picked up at 7 million? The RBs have been trying to reset the market for quite sometime now, and he doesn't have many accolades to fall back on as some of the other guys. You can't really blame him though, RBs are basically a 1 contract where you make your money position now unless you're top 3.

He has 1 Pro-bowl. I think he's better than some fans generally think he is, but I don't think he's setting the market on his next contract.

22. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Najee will be worth it especially behind this new improved oline. He accomplished good things behind a bad line and an inept playcaller.

• Agree Agree x 2
  23. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Have you been paying attention? Harris has been among the NFL running backs who have been outspoken regarding teams refusing to pay running backs what they are worth.

“They ask me alone — ‘The game’s going to rely on you, you need to do this for the team, you got to do this right here. Hey, it’s time to close out the game. Hey, we need to lean on you right now,’” Harris said, via Brooke Pryor of ESPN.com. “And it happens a lot of places like Cleveland, Tennessee, even with the Niners; there’s numerous teams where this happens at. . . . Only time when they choose to say that [the position] is devalued is when it’s time to pay the running back. . . . It’s not devalued at all. They just don’t want to pay a running back.”

Harris has played behind a line that was weak enough that the Steelers completely revamped it the last two years, including three picks in the first four rounds of the 2024 NFL draft. He had an offensive coordinator so bad that the team broke with decades of precedent to fire him mid-season. He had a passing game that scared no one. He was hampered by a foot injury for half of his 2022 season. Despite all that, he has been over 1,000 yards three times and he is coming off his best season.

24. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Give him the 5th year option and nothing more.

Paying a running back big money is mindless.

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    Again what part of that is whining? Yes, he should be outspoken. Running backs are the work horses and touch the ball an enormous amount compared to the other skill groups and they are asked to stay in and pick up rushers.

RBs are the 4th lowest average salaries only ahead of LS, FB and Punters. The top guys that have voices and what little leverage they do are obligated to try and up the market for their position and should try to.

He's never given an indication that he would hold out at all. It's one of those limited window for getting paid skill positions and it's only gotten shorter with the 5th year option.

• Agree Agree x 1