1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Russell Wilson

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steelersfan43, Feb 20, 2024.

1. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    We'll go 9-7 again and be tossed out of the wildcard game. Lmao.. the standard is the standard. Picking 20 again!

Just kidding go Steelers!

2. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    Drew Allar? I watch a lot of Big Ten ball and am not at all impressed with him. He's looked like garbage in the few PSU games I've seen... although I generally only watch them when they play OSU, Michigan, or Bowl games.

3. Steelersfan43

Steelersfan43 Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2016
    Chad Johnson was right 2 week ago

• Like Like x 2
  4. Brice

Brice

Jul 18, 2018
    First off I would love to know what Steeler players he reached out and spoke with. Russ said he did his homework and reached out and talked to a few Steeler players before his interview. (DJ, Pickens, Pat, maybe Najee?)

Also as much as I love the 26 TDs with only 8 Ints, I just heard that off of play action last year he had 11 TDs and 1 Int.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. Tiggs99

Tiggs99 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2019
    The big question is he washed up or got something in the tank. He is a little guy and has taken a beating over the years. Still an upgrade over Kenny. TJ probably talked him into coming here as both went to Wisconsin. Mason wasn’t going to sign with the Steelers and be part of Pickett soap opera. Good move… as he wasn’t winning anything with Tomlin as a coach.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2024
  6. UKSheffieldSteeler

UKSheffieldSteeler Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2020
    If we are paying him $1M with Broncos picking up the rest surely for value for money people can't complain.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  7. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    There seems to be a lot of scepticism in the media with DK and others saying he is not a good scheme fit for Smiths offence, he is washed up, worries about his ego etc etc.

Maybe he is completely washed, but however much he has regressed you are getting him for effectively nothing. It’s a no risk move with a significant amount of upside. Id be surprised if he isn’t a little humbled after his time in Denver as well.

His best days are behind him but Wilson is still a very good Redzone QB, this is an area where the steelers have struggled mightily for longer than most of us care to remember. If they can improve just on that this deal with Russ could end up being a very good thing.

It’s up to the team now to assess what Wilson can and can’t do and try to make it work, assuming he wins the job. I am sure there will be a ‘competition’ in camp but I would imagine he has been told the job is his to lose.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. Madmike77

Madmike77 Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2019
    Really not happy with this. I would have preferred Mason and Pickett. Going with Wilson just seems like a waste of a year. You’re not developing a QB or getting a longer-term solution used to the system.

You’re going with a 35-year-old and crossing your fingers he’s not washed.

9. Steel the Win on Sunday

Steel the Win on Sunday Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2016
    We now may have the best backup QB in the league, at minimum. I don't love Russ anymore but a great depth signing at the very least.

10. RichD

RichD Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2019
    I like the move . Now Pickett can sit and watch and he needs to get his mind right on that. Wilson goes in as QB #1 make that clear Coach T !!! Sure this could all blow up and I would be fine with that too. Pickett can come in late season and get a few starts . if anything this COULD push out T if it goes south. He doesnt want to mess with a young QB. Pickett proved at Pitt to be a slow developer just marinate, it can still work out for the best.

• Winner Winner x 1
  11. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
  12. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022
    As I was on a jet taking off from Pittsburgh International Airport, headed back to the warm sunny beaches..... my brother texted me that Russell Wilson was talking to the Steelers. The first thought that came to my mind was, 'I need to rethink this.'

Russell Wilson is getting paid by Denver and perhaps Pittsburgh could wrangle a pretty good deal for him, if for nothing else to kill off that God Awful rumor of trading for Fields.
    Full disclosure, I dislike Russell Wilson, a lot.
    But putting my bias aside, he is a good decision. A 1 year prove it contract, is not hard to stomach. He should work well in Aurthur Smiths offense and he is going to push the best out of Kenny Picket, whether it is enough or not enough.

I didn't really care if they brought back Mason or not, that was rather oh-hum. Wilson presents a new picture, if he plays great we can buy a year or two, maybe as much as four to stock up and make a run for a QB in one of the upcoming drafts. If he doesn't do so well, 1 year and gone and no real damage.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
  14. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Well… it’s better than trading for Justin Fields

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  15. zcoop

zcoop Well-Known Member

Jan 17, 2018
    BF told you that but you didn't listen.

16. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022

I was terrified that might pull the lever on that disaster.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    True,but I still hate the signing. It will be painful having to cheer for him

18. SGSteeler

Sep 9, 2013
    The only difference between him and Fields (in terms of long term risk) was the draft pick that would have been necessary to acquire Fields. Fields would have been just a couple million more expensive on a one year deal (we didn't HAVE to pick up the 5th year option), and if it worked... great. If not, oh well no real damage. A second round pick would have been a hefty price to pay for that, but it doesn't look like that will be what is needed. 3 million and a 3rd or 4th rounder appears to be it.

Now, I also dislike Wilson the person compared to Wilson the player. I do think that some of the "garbage" stuff is overblown though. If Kenny had started and completed 66 percent of his passes, threw for 205 yards a game, and had 16 TD's to 8 INT's, then we'd be talking about a really positive year for Kenny. We're just accustomed to Russ being a lot better than that, so we chalk it up as "bad". He is a definite upgrade to Pickett in the short term, and it buys us some time to not HAVE to trade our whole draft for a QB just because we don't have one. We can wait to find the "right guy" to try again in the draft with. The floor of this move is a minor upgrade to Pickett, the upside is a bit of a "revitalisation" of Russ' career and 2-3 pretty quality years of QB play. Now let's see what Khan and Weidl have in store for the rest of the roster.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. zcoop

zcoop Well-Known Member

Jan 17, 2018
    Fields will be alright where ever he goes.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. zcoop

zcoop Well-Known Member

Jan 17, 2018
    I like the move and think Russ is a good kid.

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
  22. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Agree, QB's need help. He didn't have much.

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. SGSteeler

Sep 9, 2013
    I like the move as well. Hopefully it works out for us.

24. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Funny… they just covered this story on the local morning news here in CT.

25. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    Hopefully Wilson changes his team attitude. I’ve heard of numerous occasions where teammates said he comes off as greater than thou. He should be better than what we currently have though.