1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Russell Wilson

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steelersfan43, Feb 20, 2024.

1. SteelersFanCanada

SteelersFanCanada Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2019
    do you think Mason's skill set suits the Arthur Smith offense more than Russell Wilson?

2. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Doubt this is the only big move.

Biggest move might be gunning for Devin White. I also wouldn't rule out someone like Patrick Queen or Willie Gay Jr either.

Dream FA Signee is still Tyler Biadasz.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    Didn't want him back either. Just saying, we just saw what Smith does with a QB that needs to move the pocket.

4. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Fields is a bad idea because of that it would cost to get him, but he's better than Pickett.
    If we could get him without giving up picks or players, I'd much rather him over Pickett or Wilson.

5. Steelresolve

Steelresolve Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2022
    Ok what did you want them to do waste draft capital on Fields who has proven nothing yet other than he can run but not pass the ball. This was essentially a freebie. It was the safest bet outside of resigning Rudolph. I think it was evident Rudolph wanted a fresh start elsewhere.

6. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
  7. Steelresolve

Steelresolve Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2022
    Please not Devin White. He wasn’t that good for Tampa other than one year. I would like to see them sign a LB, Center, WR and slot CB. Draft your RT and CB.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    Hell no!

I get it, but the team might just need a down year to get in position for a QB.

That said, right now you have 2 QBs on the roster. 1 with small hand and the other one just small! :facepalm:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  9. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    Was what I was typing. The Devons that year were a mirage!

10. Mashburn

Mashburn Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2021
    Nope.

It is crazy what people make. You can make a video for a minute and if it blows up you're getting great money.

11. blackandgoldpatrol

blackandgoldpatrol Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011

Aging and on the downturn, yes...... bad fit for Smith's offense, absolutely not.... Wilson's best successes came under a Smith style offense that ran through Marshawn Lynch and utilized play action.... His career started going down when he was made the focal point of the offense and was asked to be Dan Marino

Last edited: Mar 11, 2024
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  12. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    If we have a strong run game, this could work out for us, but I don't like that this isn't a long term solution.

I can't see how he doesn't win the job or if this even a real competition.

13. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

I said might. Mind you, only reason I state this is due to the fact that Mike, Kevin Colbert and even Omar were all impressed by both Devin Bush and Devin White at the time. Mind you, things sure can change but who is to say that interest hasn't?!

If anything, Devin White is a Super Bowl Champion along with being an All Pro. He still hasn't become that perennial All Pro I thought he would be (and it is fair to state if he still can) but perhaps a new place of scenery would help..... for the right price.

Linebackers wise?!... I want Zach Baun in the worst way possible. Another Wisconsin Badger there and would be a stellar addition as an ILB given his prior experience playing it there.

14. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

[​IMG]

:lolol:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  15. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Denver was a bad fit for Wilson, so he could have a slight rebound here.

Getting a top tier Center is now key.

• Agree Agree x 3
  16. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    Worry about 2025 in 2025.

None of the QB options this off season were a long term solution.

Maybe Pickett will learn something from the bench……

17. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

My dream of a dream scenario is the Steelers somehow, someway, land Drew Allar from Penn State!! Then again, given how much he has grown and, likely still will in 2024?!... I severely doubt he will be within striking distance. Carson Beck I have given up on ha ha. Dude might likely be either the number one or number two choice when it is all said and done.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Brice

Brice

Jul 18, 2018
    So this is happening. Wilson a Steeler tonight.
    1 year league minimum, never would have believed that.

• Like Like x 2
  19. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Wilson had little to no leverage to use. Pittsburgh possessed quite a bit. Denver is still the biggest loser in all of this.

I still say the DeShaun Watson trade is the worst in NFL history for that trade has gifted the Texans Kenyon Green (still too early), Will Anderson Jr. (best overall EDGE from his class) and Tank Dell; a rock solid Rookie WR.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Michael E

Michael E Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2022

Are you both referring to the salary? It was a given, anywhere Wilson signed, would be for the minium. That was the main reason I liked the idea of Russ as competition for Pickett.

The Broncos will pay all the remainder to the $39 million, so why would ANY team need to pay more than minimum? Why would Russ want his new team to pay more and lessen Denver's outlay?

This is perfect for Russ. He'll probably outplay Pickett, hit the FA next year and cash in on a 3 or 4 year deal to some team desperate for a vet QB. Hopefully not the Steelers unless he plays great and takes a below market deal...then it'd be okay.

21. Brice

Brice

Jul 18, 2018
    I thought Russ would be demanding more than 1 year from his new team. Denver is paying his salary for the 1st year of the contract, but I figured Russ would want a 2nd, and a 3rd year out of his new team. With Guarantees and all the other things he got out of his last Denver contract.

22. Steelhammer92

Steelhammer92 Well-Known Member

May 19, 2015
    i'm pumped. i know wilson is on the decline, but he's still an upgrade over anything we had going and will bring some much needed leadership to the locker room, especially on the offensive side of the ball. we are signing him for less than what some 3rd string QBs make. there is literally no risk to the steelers and that makes it a can't lose signing. bravo

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  23. SteelRaj

SteelRaj Active Member

Dec 7, 2020

• Hilarious Hilarious x 12
    • Like Like x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  24. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    This is great news if it does come through. It sends a true message to the team they are looking to win.. it also means they will still be looking at a franchise QB for the future and are moving on from Pickett.

Actions speak louder than words. Pickett will run his contract up here and unless he is playing like a different QB he will be gone

25. BigBensBigBong

BigBensBigBong Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2014
    Well, I thought Wilson was the only maybe and now it seems it`s happening.

Wildcard, here we come again.

Just got to hire a few guys to break some legs of the top QB`s in the NFL and we are all set for 2024. LOL.