1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Cut Ben some slack on the film study

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steel Acorn, Jan 13, 2013.

1. SteelerFanInKC

SteelerFanInKC Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    IMHO, if Ben watched and researched just HALF the film that Manning(s) both do, Brady and Rodgers who are all notorious for film study (kinda like gym rats in hoops), the Steelers would have at least one more Super Bowl win and perhaps at least two more SB appearances. I don't care what anyone says, Ben doesn't give care "enough"!!!!!!!!

2. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    I wonder if the same could be applied to our offensive line...if only they did more film study...

3. Kevin James

Kevin James Well-Known Member

Feb 11, 2012
    I really think some of it has to due with these young receivers always getting in his hear wanting the ball, especially Wallace, who is trying to get a contract.

Ben has to stop being a *itch and put an end to that B.S.

4. lersgofor7

lersgofor7 Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2011

How do you know how much film he studies...because some message board rat said so?

5. lersgofor7

Dec 6, 2011
    :this!:

6. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    Here is what I hope happens. Ben grows up now that he has a new son. It does change people. Maybe this wil bring him a bit more down to earth and he will realize what gifts he truely has. He has the physical tools to be the best there ever was but he needs to focus more on making that happen.

In the past he believed it was destine to happen.

7. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    i have no clue how film study Ben does, or Peyton does or Brady does. For all I know Ben studies film as much as anyone in the game.

But what I do know from watching is that Manning/Brady seem to know their offensive systems to the last detail, and they operate within that system. On the other hand, Ben abandons his system and reverts to sand lot when things break down.

Maybe, this is due to lack of film study, though I doubt it. It may be Ben just falling back to where he's comfortable or playing to his natural strengths. Maybe Ben isn't as smart as those other two guys and film study doesn't sink in. I don't know.

But I do think that as he ages and his raw skills diminish Ben will need to be a better student of the game, or his career will end will come sooner than later.

8. CANTON STEEL

CANTON STEEL Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    It's not that difficult to figure out gang. Watch Ben on the sidelines and watch Peyton and Brady as well. Ben stands there and watches the game just like the rest of us do in the stands or at home (or bar, etc) while I see Brady and Manning studying photos of the D, going over things with their OC, huddling up with their receivers, etc. Maybe i'm always missing the shot of this or coincidentally the cameras always miss showing Ben when he does this but I don't see it.

And stop trying to compare 1 or 2 plays of Mannings to Ben and act like that's proof enough that Ben doesn't need to work as hard as Peyton or Brady because they get the same results. There's a reason those guys are considered elite QB's without a single question while there's always debate whether or not Ben is considered elite. I happen to think Ben IS an elite QB but sorry folks he's not in the same category as Brady and Peyton. If those two didn't win a single SB i'd say they still get into the HOF. If Ben didn't win any SB's I highly doubt he gets in. I personally think Ben has a lot more in him and could be ranked right there with Rodgers, Manning and Brady if he studied and worked as hard as they do.

And i don't think it's unknown that Ben isn't a student of the game and not a heavy film studier. I think even his BFF Arians pretty much said as much.

9. darcrav

darcrav Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2012
    cut ben slack in film study ? ben cuts so much out in film study he prolly only views his highlites which are diminishing. the filmroom floor is covered in edited game film.

10. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    It happens every game, likely just as much as the other guys you mentioned. It's just a matter of what we see, what's shown, and what we look for. Here are some random shots of Ben looking at the overhead photos with Fitchner and or teammates from last season.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As far as what Bruce said about Ben...is Ben Peyton Manning? Nope.

11. darcrav

darcrav Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2012
    in the 6th one down Ben doesn't look to happy to get the picks prolly not a goodd highlite

12. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    It's not just one or 2 plays though and the point is to show that even the best of the best make mistakes, all the film study in the world won't prevent that from happening. We don't have Peyton or Brady, we have Ben, why does everyone try to make him into those guys? They are different players with different skill sets and quite frankly, I find Bens skills more appealing, I love the way he can make something out of nothing. I think people take for granted that Ben has been to 3 SB's, that's freaking incredible you guys, there are players who never go to 1 and I bet Ben will see a couple more still. People say he could be so much better, how much better? We're not going to start going undefeated and win SB every year if Ben starts spending a little more time in the film room.

13. lersgofor7

Dec 6, 2011

prove it...

14. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I really believe the same can be said about the entire team. I posted recently that our team needs to get smarter next year and part of that comes from being more studious in the film room. THIS IS ALL ON THE COACHES.

The only exception may be the defensive backs who were coached by one of the most cerebral players ever to wear a Steelers uniform, Carnell Lake. I think their level of play really improved this year under Lake's tutelage. Their technique was sound and they didn't make the mental errors that seemed to plague the rest of the team.

15. D0bre Shunka

D0bre Shunka Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2012
    Quit trying to change Ben and Let him do what he do baby!
    It's human to tweak things but some things are best left alone, in their purest form. We try to change non traditional QBs cuz we know better (i.e Kordell Stewart), but just let em be.

I don't want him thinking too much (LOL) out there. I want him running amok sandlot and being a nightmare for Ds.
    The last couple years we have been over thinking this thing and in turn he is over thinking the position.
    Get back to what got you there in the 1st place. He is the key to our success, let him be himself.

16. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Well I just think people are saying this in the spirit of they want him to be "himself" for a lot longer than he might if he keeps taking so many hits.

17. JackAttack 5958

Oct 18, 2011
    The only problem with that is that as Ben gets older and his body continues to wear down, this style of play will not be as effective. If he wants to prolong his career, he needs to stop being intellectually lazy!

18. NashvilleCat

NashvilleCat Well-Known Member

Feb 23, 2012
    If Ben keeps playing his game our offense won't improve and we'll be missing the playoffs a lot.

19. D0bre Shunka

D0bre Shunka Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2012
    Really, how many playoffs have we missed w/ Ben @ the helm?

20. JackAttack 5958

Oct 18, 2011
    The only one that matters is the one we missed this year because Ben threw two crucial interceptions in two critical games late in the season. I know we have short memories but welcome to the NFL. Ben's physical prowess is waning and if he doesn't learn the importance of film study and game prep AND how to respond to coaching the last few seasons of his career will be more of the same underperformance that we saw this year.

21. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Short memories indeed! Are you forgetting the substantial injury Ben had? Before that, he was playing great football. And as for making crucial mistakes, Peyton and the Broncos are watching the playoffs from their couch this weekend because he made one.

22. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    The thing about Ben is that he's shown the ability to play at a high level without running around playing sandlot. There are times when he looked like he was prepared to play and times when he looked like he just showed up to play.

23. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    Of course the bronco fans thought that with peyton they were going to the superbowl, but actualy peyton has a losing record in cold weather below 40 degrees, and his playoff record for wins is lower than flaccos, ouch: All that said, he did put up 35 points enough points to win 80% of the time in this league, so this loss cant all be blamed all on him, the defense gets to share in the blame as well.....

24. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Film study issue has to do with him taking less hits.

Manning and Brady will not only audible to new plays, which Ben does do, but they are also are good at identifying defenses through motion and different pre-snap reads, and they often shift protections to make sure plays they do call work and also keep their Jersey's clean at the same time.

25. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    He threw a pick 6 though too.