1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Russell Wilson

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steelersfan43, Feb 20, 2024.

1. SteelerNole

SteelerNole Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2019
  2. Voice of Reason

Voice of Reason Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2019
    Given the offset language, I would be interested in a possible deal for next year. I would only want that if he was reasonable in his contract amounts for years 2 or 3.

I would be concerned about a multi-year deal that handcuffs our cap. He is 3 years removed from his big seasons of 30 and 40 td’s. Plus he turns 37 this coming season.

3. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    You know I completely forgot that Pittsburgh just picked up Russell Wilson's WR Coach from Denver Zach Azzanni.

Azzanni only spent a year with Russell in Denver working under head coach Hackett, and then moved to New York with Hacket to coach the Jets.

4. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Russell Wilson officially on the open market for the Steelers to sign.

Russell Wilson Officially Becomes Available for Steelers (msn.com)
    However, All Steelers has learned that the Steelers would be interested in signing Wilson to a one-year deal, if he's willing to take a small contract. It's been tossed out that he could sign for a league minimum in 2024, if that signing came with an opportunity to start.

Pittsburgh is considering that deal if the opportunity is presented. They are still looking to re-sign Mason Rudolph and would like Wilson to be a veteran leader while their two younger quarterbacks are still around.

It would be like 2022 all over again for Rudolph if he signs with Pittsburgh after the Steelers have already signed Wilson.

Kenny Picket last year 12 games 6 TD and 4 Ints 81.4 QB rating
    Russell Wilson last year 15 games 26 TDs and 8 Ints 98.0 QB rating

Last edited: Mar 5, 2024
  5. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    Sign him.

He's got a defense.
    He's got a running game.
    He's got a couple of targets.

Let's goooo

6. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Betting line now jumped to -225 for Pittsburgh after Russell Wilson was notified of his release from Denver.

The Raiders are coming in a distant second at +550

• Informative Informative x 1
  7. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I’ve been reading personality wise Wilson is not the right fit here. Has an entire entourage he travels with.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. BobbyBiz

BobbyBiz Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    Since he's a FA, Im on board with bringing him in.....as long as he's not demanding $25M+ a year. You never know what Russ is thinking, but since Denver is paying him, you'd think (hope) that he'd be willing to play for less with a team that gives him the best shot at one last SB before he retires.

The way I see it....
    Bring him in for 3 years at $10-$15 mil/year, make him the starter and let Kenny sit and learn while Russ winds down his career.

I wouldn't give up on KP just yet. Right now, he's a quality backup. And backing up for 2 or 3 seasons may be just what he needs. Jordan Love sat for years behind Aaron and it appears to have paid off. Mason Rudolph appears to have benefitted from his years of sitting. He looks like a different QB than in 2019.

Pickett would be a cheap, quality back up, that you could not exercise his 5th year option then resign him as a FA (after his 4th year) for a 2-3 years at $5M per. This would give KP time to grow and the Steelers three drafts to pick a QB they really like to compete with KP when Russ retires, all the while being very competitive and having extra cash to strengthen other areas of the team (as the QB position would be taking up less than $20M per year).

I prefer him over Fields as you know what you are getting with Russ. With Fields, he's still an unknown. To me, he's a better Kenny Pickett in that regard. He's a project and a risk and you don't want two of those on your roster.

Just my $.02

• Like Like x 1
  9. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    It sounds good on paper, but what makes you think Russ is going to sign for that little? Sure sign cheap this year, but no way he signs for that cheap if the first year he does even remotely good. Then the problem is giving KP the 5th year option at (estimated now but could go up) 23 million guaranteed, why would he sign beyond that for less? Possible they could make a deal like GB did with love when his 5th year option came up, but so far reports are (how accurate???) that Russ wants a guarantee to start on that first year, so you go that route how do you really know what KP has? They could do it, but if so I think it means they have been blowing smoke about KP and would move on, unless Russ gets injured and he lights it up enough to get that 5th year.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Vox Ferrum

Apr 22, 2019
    The 'blurb' I saw made me chuckle, "MR one of the hottest FA to sign", it then went on the mention 7 or 8 other QB's ahead of him. I have no idea what he gets or where he lands, and honestly wish him the best, bottom line no one knows till it's done.

• Winner Winner x 1
  11. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    Hate to parrot DK, but Wilson’s last two employers have eaten 100 million so he will go away.

• Winner Winner x 2
  12. BobbyBiz

BobbyBiz Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    I don't know if he's sign for that little, that's why I said "You never know what Russ is thinking"

Wilson is capped this year at $39M he cannot make more. So a 3 year $15M a year contract could be structured.....2024 $1M, 2025 $20M, and 2026 $24M.

I didn't say to sign KP to his 5th year option. That'd be absurd. I said to decline his option, then sign in in FA. Why would KP sign for less than $23M? Because if he's on the bench as a back up for 2024 and 2025, he's going to draw little interest in the FA market in 2026 and they should be able to sign him to a 2 or 3 year deal relatively cheap.

There's no blowing smoke about KP. He's been hit and miss, but at this point he's a quality back up. And he's cheap being on a rookie deal. You don't move on from him for those reasons. You go with Wilson and let KP sit and watch for 2-3 seasons. It worked for Jordan Love and it did Rudolph good.

13. Steelpens65

Steelpens65 Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2021
    Steelers are not signing Wilson, I don’t need resources, end of story
    Ok, ill add a resource, came from the internet so it must be true. See my next post below. Thank you

Last edited: Mar 5, 2024
  14. Steelpens65

Steelpens65 Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2021
  15. Steelersfan43

Steelersfan43 Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2016
    some wild marks from Russell Wilson last year

he threw 27% of his passes behind the line of scrimmage

#1 highest out of 509 QBs since 2005

he threw 62% of his passes within 5 yards of the line of scrimmage

#2 highest out of 509 QBs since 2005

Sean Payton had no confidence in Wilson's intermediate passing

the 2023 Broncos had the least amount of intermediate passing of any offense since 2005

Wilson threw just 26% of his passes between 5-15 yards downfield

#1 lowest out of 509 QBs since 2005

it was nothing but record breaking rates of underneath passes and the occasional moon ball downfield

*509 QBs in sample with a min 300 att in a season

context matter!

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  16. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    What do you think about letting Russell Wilson bring his Center from the last 2 year Lloyd Cushenberry?

If you are going to sign your #1 QB for only $1.21 million how much money can you then spend on his Center that already has a working relationship with him?

17. Jball

Jball Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    No Wilson. What are you gonna do, sign him for one year on the cheap? Then what? Run KP out there again in 2025 because you still have all the faith in the world in him?

You either believe he can take you to the top, or you don't. Either commit to starting Pickett or start moving on.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Vox Ferrum

Apr 22, 2019
    Good post. They need QB's, they need a vet QB, MR or some other type will do, we will see what FA brings us, if the guy presses KP in 'competition" and its all above board and the vet actually wins, then of course a decision has to be made, but from what has been reported (and we know what that means), it seems they are committed to giving KP every opportunity this year.

19. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    We have a saying where I’m from…he got too big for his britches.

• Winner Winner x 1
  20. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Yeah exactly.....except for the better winning %, more wins, more tds, and more yards but yeah......LoL......NOT.

21. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    What You are not saying.....is if Broncos cut Him.....that will be two teams in a row that rather have a cap causality than keep Him.....that should be a red flag

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    LOL... Are you trying to make me feel sorry for Seattle for accepting QB Drew Lock, DT Shelby Harris TE Noah Fant(1st round Pick 2019), 2022 first-round pick, 2022second-round pick, 2022 fifth-round pick, 2023 first-round pick, and 2023 second-round pick for Russell Wilson?

What the hell would you do if your boss got into your face yelling and screaming at you like Sean Payton did to Russell Wilson? I'd be calling around looking for bail money the next day if this happened to me. I just can't imagine what Russell felt like the next day, back in the locker room with his fellow players. How could you ever want to do anything for that man again? I have never had something like that happen to me in sports, at work, or anywhere in public. I would hate that guy until I died.

FYI, I found this quote from Peter King.
    STEELERS NEWSSteelers' Mike Tomlin Absolutely Wants Russell Wilson To Be His Quarterback In 2024 According To Peter King

Last edited: Mar 6, 2024
    • Like Like x 1
  23. Steelersfan43

Steelersfan43 Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2016
  24. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    BREAKING NEWS:

Steelers Announce Signing of Russell Wilson

sorry....I don't have a link.....just some Fake News....

• Like Like x 1
  25. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I'm not doing anything, but telling You facts....all the rest You say is what You think.
    Facts....if Denver cuts him...that will be two teams in 3 years that will take significant cap hits just to get rid of Him. Those are facts, and You can twist it anyway You want.