1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

QB competition at this point certainly feels like ......

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by NewMexicoLobo, Mar 4, 2024.

1. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    How would KFP if He works, or Mason be a bandaid???

• Like Like x 1
  2. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I m confused....did we change the center when Rudolph came in, or did He also have to deal with Him???

• Like Like x 1
  3. Steelresolve

Steelresolve Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2022
    My guess is the QB competition this year will be KP a mid to late draft pick and Mason or Sam Darnold.

the result will be another 10-7 season with a similar defense and improved run offense but another one and out in the playoffs. The defensive line and stopping the run will be our Achilles heal. The pass defense will be greatly improved. With the exception we will still struggle to defend tight ends and short to intermediate routes.

when we have issues we seem to take awhile to fix them because we throw bandaids at the issues in FA and try to upgrade through the draft.

we can’t upgrade all of our holes in one draft so I see Center and Secondary being upgraded. We still will struggle with Dan Moore at OT and at QB on offense. We will take a step back at defensive line with Heyward aging and Ogunjobi not really offering much. I think the ILB will be a hoge pole again as well.

4. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Good Lord not Sam Donald. Would take Tannehill a million times over him. I’d take Rudolph over him.

I’ve very intrigued by who they may draft at the position.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. james weyandt

james weyandt Well-Known Member

Sep 6, 2021
    Where will Mason fit into this QB drama or wont he fit at all .it's almost best to get Tannehill if Kenny is the guy.Let Mason go. If not sign Mason. Start him bench Kenny and watch him:crycry: AND pout. Then if Mason sucks will Kenny play hard it's a debacle.:scratch: :sigh: :confused1::confused1: :shock:

6. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Did you even watch the Arizona game? Cole was bad all season, but he was even worse than usual that day. He killed two drives in the first half with terrible snaps on third down, then he snapped a turf-burner that Trubisky couldn't recover for a fumble in the third. How do you not know this?

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  7. forgotten1

forgotten1 Well-Known Member

Mar 4, 2022
    A hoge pole at ILB is better than Bush was

PLease no Sam Darnold. LOL

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. forgotten1

Mar 4, 2022
    How do we know that bad snaps stopped a score? Didn't help, but you can't say for certain it stopped a score.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Pickett has never done anything to indicate he wouldn't play hard when given an opportunity. He isn't George Pickens, so please spare us that nonsense.

If they bring back Rudolph, they need an open competition between the two. Obviously, that won't happen if they sign someone like Tannehill.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  10. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    We don't, but we know they stopped two drives in the first half and led to a killer fumble in the third quarter.

11. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Did You. Of course I seen it. I've seen evey game since 1997, and many, many, many games before that, but forsure every game since 1997 my 1st year with NFL Sunday Ticket.
    He had many a bad snaps with Mason, but I guess You either forgot, or decided that it doesn't matter because it was Mason, and therefore don't use it as an excuse for Him like You do KFP.

12. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    i have said before that maybe logan woodside may be a free agent pickup possibility. he wasn't bad at toledo. he has been a backup for smith at Tennessee and Atlanta, so he should be well familiar with smiths offense. if rudolph is brought back and KFP along with woodside, there should be a guy capable of helping with this O. he's also a young guy 5th year. should be cheap enough. :cool:

• Like Like x 1
  13. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    They were worse that day. I'm sorry you are too busy pushing your chosen narrative to admit that.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  14. forgotten1

Mar 4, 2022
    It was a low snap that Trubs didn't handle. Hit his hands not bounced on field.

15. OB1

OB1 Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2022
    It's been a month or so since I last read the forum in detail, and I'm surprised that the Kenny vs Rudolph debate is still ongoing with the exact same arguments being rehashed over and over.

I'm not surprised by the debate, but what I am surprised about is what has happened to the emoticon crew and self anointed troll hunters? Aren't you annoyed having to read the same debate for months?

• Winner Winner x 1
  16. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    It was a turf burner. That was a very poor snap. Trubisky should have just fallen on it, but that was Cole's fault.

17. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I push no narrative. I will admit I thought Mason should have been given the chance to start , and not bring in Trubisky, but once KFP took over from Trubisky I have been 100 % behind KFP. Doesn't mean I didn't see many a missed opportunities. I don't bury My head in the sand just because I like a Guy. I was a huge fan of Ben's, but when He made mistakes....I still talked about them, and pointed them out. With all that said.....I can't sit here, and make excuses as to how the whole freaking team changed as soon a Mason took over on offense, and magically all the reasons why we couldn't score(refs, the center, LT, wide out complaining, and whatever else people said) seemed to simply vanish. If You choose to close Your eyes, and simply follow one Qb blindly because You dislike one is on You. I would personally prefer them to bring Mason back, and let KFP, and He battle it out in a true competition, and I will root for both.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    the snaps being all over the place doesn't help any qb. it takes their eye's off the defense trying to predict where the snap will go and it doesn't have to be off by much but not knowing if it's coming high, low, left or right makes that just more things a qb has to deal with during the play. even harder on a young guy that can't read the defense well just yet. it doesn't help any of them though. it's different if it's consistently low or consistently right or left, a qb can deal with that easier but when they can be anywhere it is a problem. :cool:

• Like Like x 1
  19. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I have posted plenty of criticism of Pickett and I would also like to see them re-sign Rudolph and let them compete, but I'm also going to push on the nonsense of giving Rudolph credit for something while ignoring the context. Pickett played most of his games in 2023 with Canada. As soon as Canada was gone, he had the best game of his career, one that was muted by a blown call costing him a touchdown pass. He was every bit as good that day as Rudolph was in the final three games. It was the only full game he got without Canada. The offense moved the ball against Arizona, too, but Cole's horrid day killed two drives.

Rudolph didn't take over for Pickett. He took over for Trubisky, so that magical change isn't quite what you make it out to be. He stepped into an advantageous situation that was much better than what Pickett had earlier in the year. He had a coaching staff that was finally ready to open up the offense because it had to do so with all the injuries on defense. The Bengals' defense was even worse than when Pickett started against them due to the loss of their best run defender up front and their stupid decision to focus on Freiermuth rather than Pickens. The running game dominated against the Seahawks and aside from one throw, there wasn't anything all that impressive about the game in the rain against the Ravens. I'm sorry you feel the need to misrepresent context as excuses.

20. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    That is a good point, that it is going to be tougher on a young quarterback trying to figure things out. Pickett has never been able to rely on his center since he came into the league.

21. SteelLion69

SteelLion69 Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2023
    Burrow and the Bengals beat Mahomes and the Chiefs once in the playoffs, but pretty much nobody is in their league right now. The Chiefs are the class of the NFL. Burrow, if he stays healthy, actually gives the poorly run/coached Bengals a theoretical chance, but I doubt they strike magic like that again.

Mahomes/Chiefs dominance just emphasizes the point that you need that elite QB to beat them in the playoffs.

As mikeyg points out, the Mike Tomlin strategy of running game and stout defense won't get you out of the first round of the playoffs for two reasons:

1. Mike Tomlin Defenses tend to be buttercream in the post-season and give up 30+ points.

2. The opposing team will put 8 in the box, stop the run, and let your below average QB fail at trying to win the game passing.

Ultimately the answer if you want to be competitive is to find that Elite QB.

The Dollar Tree QB we have now on the roster or these Consignment Store QB's tossed around in Free Agency won't be the answer. That is all I am saying.

Going to be couple more years until we finally scout and draft Big Ben's replacement.

22. Brice

Brice

Jul 18, 2018
    I am a huge Tannehill fan, but you are giving him way to much credit for saying they will not have an open Competition if Tannehill comes here. I could easily see a 3 way competition between Pickett, Rudolph and Tannehill. in camp this year.

I don't think any team is going to give Tannehill the Starter roll immediately. I like him because he knows Arthur Smith's playbook and can teach Kenny how to run it.

23. forgotten1

Mar 4, 2022
    No it wasn't. It was in the air all they to MT hands. Matter of fact it actually went over MT hands he overplayed the reach.
    Seen plenty of QBs handle those

• Like Like x 1
  24. Steelresolve

Steelresolve Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2022
    I agree. Not saying he is my preference but i think thats what they would do.

• Like Like x 1
  25. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011

• Winner Winner x 1