1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Scouting Combine

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Karl, Mar 1, 2024.

1. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Alt will be long gone. That's just a pleasant dream. I'm guessing that if they go offensive line in the first, it will be Mims or one of the centers.

I understand the argument or moving Johnson, but not the claim that he is not a benefit to the quarterbacks. He is the guy who can get open more consistently. Nobody else on the team runs routes like he does. He's an immature jackass, but he can play.

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022
    Yeah, Alt will be long gone proving NFL GM's don't suffer massive brain damage.
    He's nowhere on my Steeler draft board other that under the wish category.

I have a little trouble with DJ.
    As I've mentioned many time before, he does nothing to help the QB out.
    I could go the All22 route and post the amazing amount of times the QB is in trouble and he does nothing... good WR's drift towards the QB or parallel and keep their eyes open on the QB to give him a shot.
    IN the huddle, on the bench and in practice, good WR's work with the guy throwing them the ball.. DJ is not a contributor.

3. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I think our difference is a matter of phrasing. He contributes, but he doesn't do the little things necessary to help a quarterback out. I remember there were Antonio Brown comparisons made on this very board when he was drafted. He falls short of that in many ways, most importantly that he doesn't do anything to give his quarterback a target when plays break down. Brown was special in situations like that.

4. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022
    I would agree.
    I like that.

I admire guys like McLaurin, it's not obvious right?
    There's some of those quality guys out there. I greatly admire this kid Harrison too... he's a football player.

5. jeh1856

jeh1856 Just chilling

Oct 26, 2011
    upload_2024-3-4_10-59-45.jpeg

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  6. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011

Fortify that line!

I could also see this steering them towards a WR rd 1 with a draft class this deep with lineman.

• Informative Informative x 1
  7. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Harrison is special. He is the best player in this draft. I don't even think it is close.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Jball

Jball Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    Really like him at #20.
    I'm thinking we grab two Bulldogs again this year, Mims and McConkey.
    It's time for another 2nd rd WR. Probably last season for DJ.

9. Steelpens65

Steelpens65 Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2021
    I think he made 10 mil on his nil. Hell, I would retire

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  10. Steelpens65

Nov 28, 2021
    And to a point i agree about medical, why give your medical info to every team? Once he gets drafted he said he will take medical physical for the team he plays for.

11. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Teams want that information before they acquire a player, not after. He just assumes he is going to go first no matter what he does or what ridiculous demands he makes and he is probably right.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    Wiggins is a skinnier Christian Gonzales (like, 30 lbs lighter). Great cover corner who is known to avoid contact. Everyone expected Gonzales in the top five, definitely top 10, and he dropped to 17 and 3rd cb taken. Tomlin said he lacked that competitive edge.
    And then he got hurt after 4 games.

13. ljkjr74

ljkjr74 Well-Known Member

May 7, 2015
    I see the Pats signed a Quarterback already. Let’s go Steelers management.

14. jeh1856

jeh1856 Just chilling

Oct 26, 2011
    And if for some reason he does not pass or has an underlying issue

I would not risk drafting him

He’s either hiding something so you don’t want him or he’s a nut case who thinks he is in charge in which case you don’t want him

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

I have been saying this very same thing since the beginning of the 2023 NFL Regular Season. We both were of the same opinion of Joe Alt though anyone who even is a novice or first time NFL Fan could tell how gifted he was even from a season ago. That said, Olumuyiwa Fashanu's "injury bug" is irking me as it stands. What a load of :bscow:!!

This all said, beat me to it regarding WR's; namely Rome Odunze. Hell, even from a season ago, he isn't just the first WR off the board... he is likely going Top 10! :eek: Keon Coleman though is interesting as his slot production was limited if I recall.

• Like Like x 1
  16. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Sorry everyone I couldn't make it!!! Had a lot of back end work to do!!

No worries though for I did see the combine! Quite a bit of movement within my Top 32 and Top 5 Positional Rankings as well! Gimme some time for there is a lot more movement than I thought. That said though, I can share some small snippets! They are as follows;

1.) Thought that exiting the 2024 Combine it would result in a three way race for number one EDGE between Chop Robinson, Laiatu Latu and Dallas Turner. Well... can say with confidence that Dallas Turner shut that argument down for good.

2.) A Legendary 40 time by Xaiver Worthy sadly leaves a lot more questions than answers. Now I expect him to fill out his frame before hitting an NFL Field. The question remains, how much more can he add on without sacrificing his greatest asset?!

3.) $10 states that Edgerrin Cooper is a First Rounder... though that much was obvious even before the Combine. How high he will go is anyone's guess but in a class that does need that de facto number one?!... Edgerrin's the one.

More to come!! :steelflag::steelflag::steelflag:

• Like Like x 1
  17. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011

He’s a Steeler, he learned that from Broderick Jones :lolol:

• Like Like x 2
  18. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012

I think it was Matt williamson’s podcast where they mentioned Wilson having had 12 surgical procedures. I like the player a lot, but that injury history scares me. I would love to see them address lb with cooper. Hoping he’s available at 52

19. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011

• Like Like x 1
  20. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    I don't see Cooper going in the first round, there will be a lot of OTs, WRs, and QBs, along with some edge rushers and CBs ahead of any ILB.

21. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Gonzalez was playing extremely well before he got hurt. Connecting the soft characterization of him to a separated shoulder and torn labrum is pure nonsense.

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022
    If Cooper is there at 52, you take him.

23. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    My point wasn't that he got hurt. My point was that he was known to avoid tackling, and that's why he fell from top 5 to 17. Same with Wiggins.

24. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011

I like that attitude. I’m seeing he might not go in the first rd. If he’s there in the 2nd, do you take him? We can’t have all our eggs in the Pickett/Rudolph basket.

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. Steelpens65

Nov 28, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 1