1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Russell Wilson

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steelersfan43, Feb 20, 2024.

1. Steelpens65

Steelpens65 Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2021
    To hear Khan speak at combine, he said KFP is the man , and softly said there will be a competition.

• Like Like x 1
  2. jeh1856

jeh1856 Nap time

Oct 26, 2011
    $1,080,000 in 2023

$5,080,00 in 2022

$5M now sounds about right

3. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    LOL... You really think the Steelers would have ever benched Ben? That is probably the only thing that could have gotten Tomlin fired.

And, I still say you need to throw everything away that happened to Mason in 2019 after the Baltimore hit. The Steelers staff would have been fined out the ying-yang in today's NFL for rushing him back onto the field.

• Winner Winner x 1
  4. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    But don't take his red swing line stapler or he'll burn the building down.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  5. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
  6. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Mason Rudolph = Landry Jones 2.0

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    If you watch this video he points out that the final day to make a decision on Russel is March 17th. So on March 18th the rest of the league will know if Russell Wilson is cut from the Broncos and a Free agent eligible to sign a deal for the league minimum, since Denver is paying him $39 million minus whatever his new team pays him.

So, on March 14th at 4PM free agency begins, should the Steelers hold off on signing any Free Agent QBs, until they know the status of Russell Wilson on March 18th? We signed 5 free agents last year in the first week, and the previous year the Steelers signed Mitch on Day 1. Should we wait to sign Mason until after March 18th?

I watched a lot of Bronco games last year, and Wilson still has that freaky arm strength he was known for in Seattle.

8. Steelersfan43

Steelersfan43 Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2016

• Like Like x 2
  9. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    I'm not sure why people assume Wilson is going to be cheap just because he money coming from the Broncos. If there is competition from other teams to get him, that will drive the price up.

10. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    No, they wouldn't. That statement is wrong on many levels. The main reason you are wrong is that the league's concussion rules have no teeth. The last I looked, it took three violations before he league will fine a team at all, and even then it isn't an exorbitant fine.

More importantly, he wasn't rushed back. People look at 2019 and see he only missed one game, but there were 22 days between the injury against Baltimore and his return against the Dolphins. He wasn't great in his first three games back, but if you toss out the outlier against a terrible Bengals defense, it was pretty much in line with how he played before the concussion. His play cratered in the loss to the Browns in the rematch, even with Garrett unable to play due to his suspension. When the poor play continued the following week against the Bengals, they benched him.

Pickett returned from concussions twice faster than that, but nobody wants to talk about that affecting his play. Cue some armchair fake neurologist talking out of the wrong end of their anatomy and trying to tell us how much worse Rudolph's concussion was even though they have no Earthly way of knowing that.

• Winner Winner x 1
  11. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    You are 100% wrong on this. There is no price. There will be no bidding war as the cost to bring Russell in is paid by the Broncos, the team getting Russell is just paying Denver any money they offer Russell. Why would Russell want Denver to get any more than league minimum?
    NFL: Russell Wilson expected to sign with next team at league minimum (usatoday.com)
    Long story short, Denver will be paying Wilson a lot in 2024, and that will make him an attractive option for other teams. Because he’s already being paid by the Broncos in 2024, Wilson is expected to sign with his next team for (or near) the league minimum ($1.21 million).

Wilson's $37 million salary for 2025 guarantees on March 17 of this year if he's still on the roster.

If the Steelers do not sign a QB in the first week of free agency, I see the Steelers going after Wilson on March 17th.

Russell will make $35 million this year; if he sits at home he makes $35 million, if the Steelers sign him to a 1 year deal worth $1.2 million he makes $35 million, if Atlanta signs him to a $10 million deal he makes $35 million. As the article states about his cap cost to his new team will be $1.2 million.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2024
  12. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    LOL. I do believe as the article says teams are not interested in trading for Russell.

I think it is a completely different question if teams are interested in picking up free agent Russell Wilson for $1.2 million. But, Yes, the Steelers are not interested in trading for Russell Wilson and his $85 million guaranteed contract.

13. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I don't see anything in that article clearly backing up the notion that the Broncos are getting that money. He may sign cheap, but if you want to make the claim that the money he gets from his new team somehow goes to the Broncos, you need a better source with a clearer explanation to support your claim.

14. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    The claim is they aren't interested in signing him, not that they aren't interested in trading for him. I'm not reading every blogger's Tweet here, but the original reporting in The Athletic is that the Steelers aren't interested in signing him if the Broncos cut him loose. This is why you need to look for better sources before you post.

• Winner Winner x 1
  15. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Could somebody tell me why Russell Wilson would be interested in coming to PGH?
    He has been on the west coast most of his playing career, his wife is involved in the entertainment
    industry The Steelers are not going to pay him what he thinks he is worth. Invest in a late round flier
    see if we can find some luck there.

16. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Try Google.
    Russell Wilson's next contract will reportedly be for NFL minimum (givemesport.com)

Wilson's contract with the Broncos is somewhat peculiar as the team will owe him $39 million upon releasing him, but that figure will shrink in concordance with Wilson's next contract. For example, if Wilson receives a one-year, $30 million contract in free agency, the Broncos will be on the hook for $9 million.

As for Wilson, he should have no problem finding a new home, especially if he does take the league minimum from his next team. Remember, no matter what salary his new team gives him, he'll make $39 million next season from the Broncos and his new team combined. He has no real incentive to torch his new organization's cap space by demanding a $20+ million salary next season.

With teams like the Atlanta Falcons and Pittsburgh Steelers reportedly in the market for veteran competition for their underwhelming young starters, Wilson could prove to be a cost-effective option for a team desperate for a starting quarterback in 2024.

17. jeh1856

jeh1856 Nap time

Oct 26, 2011
    And Bobby Jones is batting .457 in the seventh inning when there is one out and men on first and third and there is a left hand pitcher

Otherwise he is a .135 hitter but lets throw everything else away

18. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    That would apply to the 2024 season. What about years after that? A creative team that wants to make sure it gets him can find a way to pay him more, even if that comes after the 2024 season.

You may be right about the contract situation for 2024, but I still haven't seen you post a link to a trustworthy source.

Given your silence, I assume you are conceding that you were wrong in your claim that we should ignore Rudolph's failings in 2019 because the team rushed him back from his concussion. You were also wrong in your claim that the article asserted only that the Steelers weren't interested in trading for Wilson, but might sign him. The assertion in the article is that they aren't interested in signing him. Maybe some clickbait nonsense you found claimed otherwise, but here is the relevant passage from the article on The Athletic which seems to be the source for all the clickbait sites you like.

The Steelers are not interested in signing Wilson in the likely event he’s released by the Denver Broncos, a source familiar with the coaching staff’s feelings on the quarterback at this stage of his career told The Athletic.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2024
  19. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  20. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Man I have to say that’s real tempting. See if Wilson can thrive in Smiths system, if he does, great, if he is washed then you replace him with Pickett who will have gained more time to learn a new offense and hone his craft.

• Winner Winner x 1
  21. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    yep - that has been stated here many times. YES YES YES

my Q is: Does Wilson have a SAY in where he goes?
    If yes, I think we have decent shot.

He would like to WIN again and this team is pretty good, 'cept at QB

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Wilson at a dirt cheap price because of the offset language in his contract with Denver? Yes, sign me up for that lottery ticket.

Wilson at what his market value would otherwise be? No.

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012

It’s not really up to him.

24. Steelpens65

Nov 28, 2021
    Beat me to it! :drinks:

25. Steelpens65

Nov 28, 2021
    Yes, it is true. Wilson can be paid veteran minimum, Broncos have to pay the 34 million guaranteed to Wilson. That being said, yes I am interested in a 1 yr deal, let KFP sit and learn.