1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

How many of you have given up on Kenny Pickett already?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by 86WardsWay, Feb 22, 2024.

1. zcoop

zcoop Well-Known Member

Jan 17, 2018
    True, especially if you're a 1st round pick. I haven't given up on him but he should have a short leash.

• Winner Winner x 1
  2. jeh1856

jeh1856 Nap time

Oct 26, 2011
    Right now he’s the only quarterback so there is no leash

Depending on who they sign/draft will determine the length of the leash

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. Steelvision

Steelvision Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2022
    Not giving up but my confidence in his ability is not that great anymore either. He will and should get a chance at the starting job but it’s no sure thing he’ll get it, or keep it

maybe he’s a late bloomer. Like Steve Young, and he just needs a competent or good OC to guide him

• Like Like x 1
  4. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    I am still on the Kenny Pickett Bandwagon....
    I am also on the Mason Rudolph Bandwagon...
    And I am ready to get on the Ryan Tannehill Bandwagon...

I am for whatever Bandwagon gets the Steelers to the next round of the Playoffs. :)

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

This.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. DJ18Baller

DJ18Baller Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2021
    That would be the non Mike Tomlin bandwagon and you will have to wait awhile for that one.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  7. pastorbob

pastorbob Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    Have not given up on Kenny but profer Mason if we can keep him. Imo neither hone was given a fair chance due to poor coaching by canada and tomlin

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I just want to see how he does with a competent OC and a new Center.

If he doesn’t produce next year I’m fine with saying he had his chance.

• Winner Winner x 1
  9. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011

Peterson isn’t giving up on him and knows what the main culprit was.

• Informative Informative x 2
  10. dirty

dirty Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I've given up on him. I've been around long enough to have false hope repeatedly. Have no problems eating crow but I have absolutely 0 faith that he's the one.

I'm fully expecting ge will continue to fool us and give us bits and pieces here to keep us hanging on. Life is too short for that.

You had your chance in my eyes and I've moved on to just about anybody else. If you prove me wrong, great I'll eat crow, but it will have to be more than just a few games. It better be for a damn full season at this point for me to change my view.

• Agree Agree x 4
  11. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    At this point for me it's a Super Bowl or bust. Winning one Playoff game and not making the SB brings me no great joy at this point. Kenny or Mason will not come close to seeing a SB unless they are a back-up QB watching from the sidelines.

I'm looking forward to free agency and I'm on the side we get a vet QB.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. R2sojr

R2sojr Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2018
    but he was the most Pro ready QB they’ve seen in years……

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
  13. R2sojr

R2sojr Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2018
    I want someone who proves that they can score above 16 points consistently.

• Agree Agree x 3
  14. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    Unless we establish a top 5 defense to take care of all these elite QB’s in the AFC we ain’t sniffing a SB anyway. Once we have that defense then our QB situation improves greatly. One can’t happen without the other. Our offense sucked so bad that our defense suffered and therefore put the players at a disadvantage. This all comes down to coaching and right now the organization is just treading water.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I’m not optimistic with KP. I think his ceiling is going to be just “OK.” A QB where his average games look like his game vs Cincinnati last year where we can say things like “we had 400 yards of total offense and would have scored over 20 points vs a bad defense if DJ had secured the ball.” I see his upside as similar to a Derek Carr or Jimmy Garappalo. Their teams eventually moved on and tried to upgrade. My fear is that KP will rise to their journeyman level, but won’t have to be a journeyman because we’ll continue to be close enough to contending with him at QB that we don’t upset the apple cart. I fear being saddled with a QB whose best trait is: “At least he doesn’t lose games for us.”

Boy do I hope he proves me wrong, because I see this franchise giving him every possible opportunity to be the guy.

• Agree Agree x 3
  16. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022
    I don't have to read through the posts.
    QB's like coaches are easy to blame.

That offense was terrible, Mahomes might have even failed in it.
    But that aside, Kenny did slip from the year before.

My gut feeling is that Kenny Pickett doesn't have the ceiling of a Josh Allen.
    Right now, I see him as a Carr type.
    I think Smith's offense will compliment him, and it will expose a true reading on him.

As I've preached to many........ I'd say same to Kenny.
    Do the homework. When Smith hands out his playbook, live it until you know it inside and out for every player's position and assignment.
    If you don't have the natural skills, you can at least be prepared.
    As the offseason progresses, get with your Receivers and build those bonds.
    The more reps the better.

Give the staff your best shot.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2024
    • Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    He has shown flashes. 4th quarter comebacks after Canada/Tomlin let him off the leash. So I want to see what he can do with a competent offensive coordinator in Smith. I feel he was hamstrung with a conservative game plan as well as a high school play caller.

They need to upgrade the center position as well as right tackle. Dan Moore cannot be the starter at left tackle this upcoming season. Move Jones to the left side where he belongs. Add a receiver in the draft in the 3rd or 4th round.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  18. DSteelerCT

DSteelerCT Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2011
    TB came out and endorsed KP (surprised there’s not a thread), so good enough for me.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022

OMG, Dan Moore.... spot on. It should be against the law to put him on the field.
    On that note.... WVU has a Center that is rising.... I see he's starting to pop up in first round Mocks now.
    Zack Frazier. I've watched him come along.
    He was a wrestler (I know his entire family and played football with... well, let's not go there) and he has that power build on the low end.
    I don't think he'll actually go in the 1st... I think he'll last until late 2nd, early 3rd. I could be wrong... But if Pittsburgh wants to grab a center later... this would be one to watch.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Tom Brady or Terry Bradshaw;)

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  21. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    I still have hope for Pickett. He's shown he has moxie in the 4th quarter of games. KP needs to perform better in quarters 1-3. In his defense, when Steelers scored TDs... they ran it in with either Pickett, Harris or Warren. This had a lot to do with KP's lack of TD passes. That and WRs dropping easy catches.

I will admit though... Rudolph has improved a lot since the horrible tie to the Lions. Wouldn't mind at all if Steelers brought him back to compete with KFP for QB1.

• Like Like x 1
  22. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    i don't think he will be much, low ceiling,

washes out of the NFL in 3-4 more years.

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    i don't think he will be much, low ceiling,

washes out of the NFL in 3-4 more years.

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Kid Gloves Kenny (KGK)...so named because of the way Tomlin has seemed to handle him with kid gloves and for the kid gloves he wears to get a better grip on the football.

You know, I never bought into the hype about the small hands and thought that was somewhat irrelevant. He doesn't seem to have an issue hanging onto the football. Of course you never see him pump fake like Ben used to do and maybe there's a reason for that. The gloves were kind of endearing at first and I thought it was pretty cool that he wore them to help him get a better grip. It's not that he wears them that concerns me, it's that he HAS to wear them. Not sure there's ever been a quarterback that felt as though they HAD to wear gloves to go out and play, no matter the weather conditions.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2024
    • Agree Agree x 2
  25. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    What else is Pat Pete going to say? Rudolph is as good as gone and Kenny is the only quarterback under contract and on the roster at this point. He's just trying to build up his confidence, which I understand.

• Agree Agree x 1
  26. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020

yeah, a guy that is generally clueless today, just watch him