1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

How many of you have given up on Kenny Pickett already?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by 86WardsWay, Feb 22, 2024.

1. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    There’s so much negativity towards Kenny Pickett that I want to hear from those that say he will never amount to much as a NFL starter. I, for one still believe given the right tools coaching wise and scheme that he will be successful. If not here then maybe somewhere else.

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Not me Pickett deserves the chance to show what he can do with a legit OC, I don't think he will ever be elite, but I think he can do better than he has shown so far.

• Agree Agree x 5
  3. SteelersfaninPhilly

SteelersfaninPhilly Well-Known Member

Apr 26, 2018
    What does it matter? None of us are in the building making that decision.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    This conversation has nothing to do with those in the building making the decisions. The topic was actually very clear I can’t believe you missed the point completely.

• Agree Agree x 4
  5. Steelersfan43

Steelersfan43 Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2016
    I hope to be wrong and Canada was awful for him but my level of confidence in him is very low right now....Maybe he could become a good QB but I don't think it will be enough if this is the case in a conference with Allen,Stroud,Mahomes,Burrow,etc

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Same for Me. No matter what people say....Mason, and KFP ran the same offense. Mason looked better doing it..., but I do believe KFP can be better than what we've seen, but how much better is the question. We are talking about the worst Qb in TD% in the history of the NFL.

• Agree Agree x 4
  7. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    I haven't given up on KP yet but I'm a sceptic about how good he will be. I think after about 4 games into the season under Arthur Smith's new offense will tell a lot about his career here.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  8. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I haven’t completely given up on him, but my confidence is waning. I was very excited (along with Franco) when we drafted Pickett and I thought he would truly be our next franchise quarterback. As I watched him play his first season I saw lackluster play with a couple of huge fourth quarter moments, enough to keep my hopes up that he had something that would enable him to develop into a top notch quarterback. He seemed to have that “it” factor.

The preseason only reinforced my beliefs that he was the guy. At the beginning of the season, he looked terrible the first few games. I blamed it on Canada and blamed his overall lackluster performance the year before on Canada too. I defended Kenny on this board and contended that his problems and issues boiled down to coaching.

Then, I started paying closer attention to Kenny’s performance on the field and watching some all 22 when I had the chance. What really stuck out to me was his inability to read defenses, go through his progressions and effectively navigate in the pocket, oftentimes bailing when he still had a relatively clean pocket. Then when I heard that his Wonderlic score was well below average it explained his inability to process quickly on the field.

His durability is also a huge question mark at this point. I asked the question last season whether or not Kenny was tough enough for AFC North football. We’re used to Bradshaw and Ben playing through injuries that would sideline most mortal QBs for a month. I’m just going to say it, Kenny seems to be a little soft.

I hope he can turn things around with a new OC. He’ll certainly get the chance to do so. But if I were the Steelers, I’d have a solid plan B firmly in place. I hope that’s Mason.

• Winner Winner x 6
    • Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 4
  9. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    All of this. :applaud::thumbs_up:

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Steelpens65

Steelpens65 Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2021
    This… no OC is going to fix KFP lack of pocket presence or happy feet or inability to go through his read progressions. Poor KFP, Steelers threw him into fire way too soon. Probably ruined him

• Like Like x 1
  11. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I never believed in ruining a Qb, but that's just Me. I think You either have it , or You don't.

• Agree Agree x 5
  12. Steelpens65

Nov 28, 2021
    I just dont think KFP was ready to start. Shouldve been watching opposing defenses and studying film on the sideline.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Steelpens65

Nov 28, 2021
    Not every qb can come straight from college and be great or good in NFL right off the bat.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Huck Finn

Huck Finn Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2023
    So it doesn't sound like you believe he will ever be a Super Bowl-winning QB but want him to be the starting Steeler QB? We aren't cut from the same cloth. I guess he can keep the Tomlin non-losing streak going.

• Winner Winner x 1
  15. Huck Finn

Oct 22, 2023
    How about as a 26-year-old? Should a QB be "solid" by then?

16. jeh1856

jeh1856 Nap time

Oct 26, 2011
    There was a time that was true for all quarterbacks

With todays contracts and FA that is no longer the case

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. Steelpens65

Nov 28, 2021
    NFL is a different game than college. I agree he should have a better skill set being in the pocket , as he played 15 yrs in college. Lol

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. Steelpens65

Nov 28, 2021
    And look how many recent top 5 qb busts

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. OB1

OB1 Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2022
    I've given up on him. no arm, no pocket presence, cant read defenses.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. Huck Finn

Oct 22, 2023
    And just in our div. alone: You mentioned Burrow already, what about the 2-time league MVP in Lamar? Kenny is appropriately considered the worst QB in our own div. Heck, I think you're gonna have trouble coming up with any starting AFC QBs worse than Kenny at this point. If they were starters last year, I bet they won't be this year. O'Connell, Wilson come to mind.

21. jeh1856

jeh1856 Nap time

Oct 26, 2011
    But other than that

• Hilarious Hilarious x 5
  22. jeh1856

jeh1856 Nap time

Oct 26, 2011
    I don’t have much faith but they had the opportunity to watch him every practice in college right out the Steelers window

So there must have been something they saw

• Agree Agree x 2
  23. Steelpens65

Nov 28, 2021
    Hopefully KFP can find his groove, but at this point im not too confident

• Agree Agree x 3
  24. SteelersFanCanada

SteelersFanCanada Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2019
    hard to trust a QB with hands smaller than mine

• Hilarious Hilarious x 4
  25. Huck Finn

Oct 22, 2023
    I'll give him about 4 games ito 2024 before I'm totally sold off him but I'm certainly leaning that way with his:

- Happy feet before there is any pressure.
    - Locking on to one receiver the entire play (even on RBs during screen plays).
    - Inaccurate arm way too often.
    - Can't read defenses.
    - Doesn't see wide open targets.
    - Lack of durability.

Sure, this coaching staff didn't do him any favors, but the above problems exceed the problems caused by sh-- coaching.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1