1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Dulac: Steelers Appear To Have Some ‘Internal Division’ Regarding Starting QB

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steelersfan43, Feb 17, 2024.

1. Tweezer

Tweezer Well-Known Member

Dec 9, 2020
    I know this doesn't add much to the thread...but funk Peter King. Hate that guy. And funny he's quoting Dulac who is getting beat on in this thread. LOL

2. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    It’s all they’ve got and they’ve got to fill up the 24-7 (sports) news cycle. Look, I think a lot of what gets reported is educated speculation too, I don’t disagree with that. Schefter and others are a lot like members of this board only they get paid a whole lotta money for their educated opinions, lol. Plus they do have (supposedly) a little more access to the team’s inner workings than we do so there may be some fire to the smoke signals they like to put out there. I would never bet the mortgage on anything they say though.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. JackAttack 5958

Oct 18, 2011
    Remember when Kevin Colbert said that Mason was the presumed starter heading into 2022 and then the Steelers signed Trubisky and drafted Pickett? That should be where Pickett is today, the presumed starter because there’s currently no other quarterbacks on the roster. He should have to earn the starting quarterback role because he hasn’t done much of anything over the last two seasons to be anointed the starter. He should be given the opportunity but that’s it!

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. jeh1856

jeh1856 Just chilling

Oct 26, 2011
    No I don’t remember that

I don’t remember that because that is not what Colbert said it is a misinterpretation that keeps getting passed on

What Colbert did say was that if the season started “today” Mason would be the starter

Of course he would be he was the only quarterback on the roster

Very big difference

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. jeh1856

jeh1856 Just chilling

Oct 26, 2011
    After reading a couple of Tribune Review articles it’s appearing highly suspicious that the “internal division” is just Diontae Johnson flapping his lips

Maybe it’s time to see what the Bears will give us for him

6. jeh1856

jeh1856 Just chilling

Oct 26, 2011
    Probably

But to not do so with a new OC would be flat out foolish

7. Aerosteel

Aerosteel Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I think you are discounting how important everything around a QB, especially a rookie QB is. Coaching matters, he had the worst OC in the league. O line matters, he had the worst pass pro tackles in the league. Maybe he is a bust, but I don't think that can be determined without giving him a shot with a better OC and better O line.

8. JackAttack 5958

Oct 18, 2011
    That’s nice.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  9. pczach

pczach Well-Known Member

Jul 5, 2023

You've struck a nerve with me.

I've been feeling that Johnson is the worst part of this team for a long while now. I just get bad vibes from this guy when it comes to attitude and locker room presence.

Not playing hard to betray his quarterback.

His selfish play.

Walking off the field and not trying to recover a live fumble and not chasing after the defender that did recover it.

Physical confrontations and insults with coaches.

Talking publicly about who he thinks should be quarterback while doing everything to undermine Kenny Pickett.

No physical presence on the field. Soft in general. Doesn't fight for catches or yards after catch enough for me.

I've never embraced Johnson. It has always felt like he puts himself above the team, and he doesn't play the game in a way I like and respect. He plays hard when he wants to. He sulks like a child when he doesn't get the ball. He dropped more touchdown passes from Pickett than he caught, but bitches about the quarterback instead of concentrating on his own mistakes.

I think he's an overpaid malcontent, and the team would be much better without him long-term.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022

Generally, I like most of the Pittsburgh Steeler and Pirate beat reporters, generally.
    And I give them credit as getting info out of this Pittsburgh organization is tough, tougher than a $5 steak.
    I remember that draft, and I know for my part, even as a partially retired nobody, when it comes to Pittsburgh, all I can guess is what I think.
    There is no certainty, Dulac should know that.
    Sports writing has died. It's all about the clicks.

I do think they are 'exploring' some options but typically, the Steelers are pretty tight - they only cry out of one eye.
    So I think they inquire, then fall back into the "What are you going to do?" and wait for the cut. Fields is not worth a giant contract; I don't care what Sportac says.
    Fileds and Howell will be on the trade block. I don't know about others.

To be honest, I figure they go the low-cost vet route.
    Tannehill, Brissett, maybe Minshew... the first two are good fits as they are winding down careers.
    Garoppolo was once thought of as a nice option, but I can't see it here. He'll be released in the near future.
    Wilson is a champagne type of guy... he wants $$$$$$$
    Cousins is same but would like to get a Super bowl. I just have no feel for what will happen there.

• Like Like x 2
  11. james weyandt

james weyandt Well-Known Member

Sep 6, 2021
    I don't care who is our QB, but we need Superbowl wins. Not just winning seasons

12. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Didn't read. LoL. Maybe You will get it through your head. I don't care what You say, but I do enjoy you writing out a bunch of stuff for nothing. LoL

13. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    You did say that there....I remember it, but there are other places You dismissed the notion when I first brought it up.

14. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Clearly that added together is more than they were paying Mason. Also....it appears that those figures You stated are way different than what I read....so someone is putting out the wrong information. Because what I'm looking at right now shows His 1st contract here was 2 years 11,250,000 with a 6,920,000 signing bonus.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2024
  15. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    You wanted to discount Pickett's final season at Pitt because he was playing with a Belitnikoff Award. Either you didn't know that James Washington won the Biletnikoff Award, too, or you wanted to ignore it because that doesn't fit your chosen narrative. Both guys had the receiver who won the award for being the best at his position in the country. What they did after that isn't relevant.

Speaking of fantasyland, now you are just making up what Pickett would or wouldn't have done with Pickens behind the entire defense right before halftime in that game against the Bengals. It is just as likely that he would have hit Pickens in stride for the touchdown rather than making a poor throw as Rudolph did.

I'm dealing with reality. You are dealing with a weird devotion to Mason Rudolph.

16. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Peter King also didn't vote for T.J. Watt for NFL DPOY, so I'm not sure how seriously we should be taking his opinions.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I have already demonstrated previously why your first statement is incorrect, but this post was you moving the goalposts. Pickett was a hell of a lot better than decent his final year at Pitt. That you would argue otherwise just shows how deeply lost you are.

18. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Are You now trying to say that KFP was better in college than Mason???

19. Tiggs99

Tiggs99 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2019
    Are you parsing words now. I (and a lot of other people) use 'decent' and 'good' interchangeably as a matter of speaking. The fact that you got upset about this shows you are grasping at straws now.

20. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I listened to Dulac's appearance with Rich Eisen today. Eisen is a big proponent of the Steelers signing Cousins or trading for Fields. As I did, he questioned why Dulac buried the comment about the team not being interested in acquiring a quarterback who is interested in being a starter. Dulac backtracked, saying he'd be surprised, but they might trade for Fields. He cited the team's interest in Fields when he was drafted. In other words, as I wrote earlier, Dulac doesn't know what he is talking about. He has no solid source. He's just speculating.

Regarding his claim about internal division, Dulac clarified that he was talking about players, and even that came from what Johnson and a few others said. Eisen asked if it was only among players, and Dulac said it could be in the front office, too, but he clearly has no solid information on that point.

In short, Dulac's entire report has no new information, just his speculation. Keep in mind that Dulac has a stake in this because he has argued that Pickett isn't the guy. If Pickett does turn things around and become their quarterback long term, Dulac looks bad.

21. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I'm saying his final season was better than Rudolph's. Please don't misrepresent that by saying I'm only putting it that way now. I've always argued as much. The guy was third in the Heisman Trophy voting for a reason.

I'm also mocking Tiggs for referring to Pickett's final year at Pitt as "decent." He is so ga-ga over Rudolph that he can't give Pickett credit for anything.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  22. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    It shows that using words properly matters to me. I wrote professionally for a long time and now I'm an English teacher. My livelihood revolves around the importance of using the English language properly. You should try it sometime.

23. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I believe he finished 4th in the heisman voting?

24. Tiggs99

Tiggs99 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2019
    You haven’t demonstrated why Pickett season was better. Mason edged Pickett statistically in their respective final year. If you take the cumulative college years, as it gives a more data points, Mason’s career dwarfs Pickett’s.

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. Thor

Thor

Mar 20, 2014
    I enjoy writing, so it's nothing to me. And if it spares others from some of your misinformation and.. less-than-accurate retellings of the past.. all the better.

As for your continued act of 'not reading' but responding posts... :rolleyes:

Last edited: Feb 19, 2024
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1