1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Dulac: Steelers Appear To Have Some ‘Internal Division’ Regarding Starting QB

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steelersfan43, Feb 17, 2024.

1. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I still think there was a very good chance that Tomlin would’ve taken Malik Willis at 20 if Pickett had been gone.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. JackAttack 5958

Oct 18, 2011
    Even Cam Heyward seemed to throw his support behind Mason based on some of the comments he made around how nice it was for the defense to have a margin of error to work with since the offense was putting up points and that that was something they weren’t accustomed to the last couple of years.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Pickens prefers Rudolph over Pickens? Interesting. It wouldn't be so easy to dismiss your points as foolish if you avoided such silly mistakes.

Unless I missed something, it was only Johnson who said he wanted Rudolph back as the starter. If Pickens did say something, please provide the link. If not, please stop making **** up.

It's not at all a similar situation to Vick, who was completely washed up at the time.

I never suggested or implied that Dulac made it up. I pointed out that it was, at best, speculation. He doesn't have a source. In fact, I suggested that he might be referring to Johnson's comments. Please learn to read and comprehend the posts of others before you respond. Thank you.

We have been over this. I assume the Steelers know better than one or even a pair of selfish, immature receivers decide the team's future.

Regarding your last comment, I get that you have a deep emotional attachment to Mason Rudolph and you don't like that anyone here dares to question his greatness, but that doesn't justify questioning another poster's employment status. Do better.

4. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I think He/They may have taken Him, but not at 20.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Cam Heyward publicly supported Pickett a little over a week ago. I guess you forgot.

6. Brice

Brice

Jul 18, 2018
    I would hope so, if this happened a week ago Kenny is the only QB on the roster.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. JackAttack 5958

Oct 18, 2011
    I actually hadn’t seen that. What did he say exactly?

All I know is that he said the following about Mason which was pretty telling, especially the last sentence:

“We haven't been our best on defense, but to have an offense that's going out there and giving us 30 points, that's a lot to rely on,” defensive end Cam Heyward said. “I hate to say it, it gives us more room for error. We haven't had that margin of error for a long time.”

https://www.post-gazette.com/sports...=“We haven't been our,error for a long time.”

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. JackAttack 5958

Oct 18, 2011
    He may be referring to Pickens’ response to one of Mason’s social media posts.

https://steelerswire.usatoday.com/2024/01/20/steelers-mason-rudolph-george-pickens-nfl/

9. jeh1856

jeh1856 Just chilling

Oct 26, 2011
    Yeah I have really weird visions some times as well

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  10. Blitz

Blitz Well-Known Member

Apr 18, 2016
    You can rest assured of one thing. The Steelers want multiple starter caliber QBs.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Michael E

Michael E Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2022
    I had a quip when asked if Pickett or Rudolph should be the starter. I said, "Neither. YUCK!"

I stand by that and fully agree with Warren Sharp if they go into 2024 season with Pickett and Rudolph...they're VERY un-serious. They made some coaching moves, not the most important one that should be or have been made years ago, but it's a start. Now we're told we have to go with two subpar, backups-at-best QBs to duke it out for startin gig. Yuck.

12. JackAttack 5958

Oct 18, 2011
    Weird visions or not, you can’t prove he wouldn’t have and I can’t prove he would’ve. I’m just speculating, of course, but from all reports Tomlin loved Malik. Maybe it was a smokescreen, but can any of us say that if he had been the pick at 20 that we would’ve been shocked? :shrug: A lot of mock drafts had him going to the Steelers in the first round. Blast would have been thrilled at the time but talk about a bust of epic proportions if that had happened. Our first round quarterback in that draft may turn out to be a bust anyway but Malik Willis would have made Jamarcus Russell and Ryan Leaf look like homerun first round picks.

• Like Like x 1
  13. OX1947

OX1947 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2017
    Steelers are gonna have to hit the QB draft lottery like the niners did with Purdy. Or the Steelers won't do much.

Steelers win enough no matter who is the QB to not have a chance to get a top pick to get a franchise QB.

There's our only hope unfortunately.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Born2Steel

Born2Steel Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2023
    Only got 1 QB on roster. What's the decision? Bring in 1, draft 1. Seems simple enough.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I'm paraphrasing, but he said he still believes Pickett can be a heck of a quarterback. That's a direct statement about Pickett, not an appreciation for the offense putting up more points in a couple of games.

• Informative Informative x 1
  16. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I'm sure they would want Mahomes, Allen, Herbert, or someone like that, but this assumption that they want to give up too much money (Cousins) or too much draft capital (Fields) for one of the available guys isn't a good one. Just because folks here have given up on Pickett doesn't mean the team has done so. I think they will either re-sign Rudolph and let them compete or sign a veteran to back up for Pickett.

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. pastorbob

pastorbob Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    with the tag that high we would be crazy not to offer Mason 20m and draft a back-up to replace Kenny

18. SteelerNole

SteelerNole Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2019
    They can’t afford multiple starter caliber QB’s

19. jeh1856

jeh1856 Just chilling

Oct 26, 2011
    Exactly

About this time two years ago Mason was the only one on the roster

Someone asked Colbert if Mason was the starter

Colbert said if the season started “today” he would be the starter

Of course he would he was the only quarterback

And somehow people have twisted this around into Mason having been promised the starting position when the season started

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Another thing that was twisted around was that Trubisky started over Rudolph in 2022 because he was paid more. Except that Trubisky’s 2022 cap charge was $3.6 million vs. $5 million for Rudolph, and base salary $1 million vs. Rudolph’s $3 million.

• Winner Winner x 1
  21. jeh1856

jeh1856 Just chilling

Oct 26, 2011
    But hey some people like a good conspiracy

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  22. Wolfepack88

Wolfepack88 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2022
    There is no such thing as journalism, it is all op-ed. When news became left or right depending on the network or the paper it ceased to be of any value. The whole industry is an embarrassment.

• Winner Winner x 2
  23. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020

dulac is wrong many many many many times.

I HOPE he is wrong again and that they GO BIG.

Kenny as a starter means another wasted year.

they just WASTED 2023 farting around - well, Tomlin wasted it by NOT FIRING CANADUH this time last year.

we are always one step behind - Pickett is going no-where, trust me.

call me, I am mikeyGM :cool:

• Agree Agree x 2
  24. Tiggs99

Tiggs99 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2019
    You have no idea if Dulac has a source or not. Your speculation that Dulac's assertion is speculation is frankly speculation. I am not in love with Mason, except I think he's much better than Pickett and probably a better bet than anyone available in free agency. Before he started any games 2023 season, I merely stated that he's the best QB on the roster and I still stand by that assertion. I would prefer at least 12-13 Qb's playing in the nfl today over Mason, but they are not available. You on the other hand seem to have some weird infatuation with Pickett despite all statistics pointing him to be a bust. I have not questioned your employment status, just put expanded on possibilities on your self given moniker. It's called banter my thin skinned poster.

• Agree Agree x 2
  25. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020

who knows, he might be Kenny's brother!

no other reason to be that infatuated with him

he has stunk so far.