1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Dulac: Steelers Appear To Have Some ‘Internal Division’ Regarding Starting QB

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steelersfan43, Feb 17, 2024.

1. Steelersfan43

Steelersfan43 Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2016

• Like Like x 3
  2. forgotten1

forgotten1 Well-Known Member

Mar 4, 2022
    How? There's only 1 QB on the roster no?

• Hilarious Hilarious x 4
    • Winner Winner x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Iron Nickel

Iron Nickel Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2023
    Regardless of what anyone thinks in-house there is a need to provide competition for the remaining QB. He requires someone on that depth chart who brings real threat to him and his starting job. Then we'll see whether he's a competitor or not. And the team overall will have its best chance to get good QB play on the field.

• Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    So far since the Super Bowl ended I've see 7-8 different names that the Talking Heads are having fun with. My favorite, Ben thinking of un-retiring. :lolol:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 5
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    I have a suggestion for posts like this. It would be better to post the original article, which is linked on Steelers Depot, than the aggregated one. Josh Carney is drafting off Dulac's work, not doing his own. I'm not criticizing you. Just suggesting a way to do it in the future.

Here is Dulac's analysis. The bit about internal division isn't really what interests me, mostly because Dulac does it in such a weak way with no sources cited.

"In fact, there appears to be some internal division that maybe Mason Rudolph should be the starter after the way he finished the 2023 season, winning the final three regular season games to gain entry to the playoffs."

That is not a clear, declarative statement, which tells me Dulac isn't sure about that internal division. If he was sure, he would have simply written that there is internal division, not that there appears to be. That tells me he doesn't have a source. He is just making an educated guess based on interviews and conversations he has overheard. Hell, maybe he is just referencing what Johnson said about wanting Rudolph to be the guy next year.

To me, the bigger takeaway is later in Dulac's article, which came near the end.

"In any event, the Steelers are not interested in bringing in a quarterback who wants to be a starter. That would include Justin Fields and Kirk Cousins, and probably even Russell Wilson, who has a connection with the Steelers. They are committed to giving Pickett a third season to see if he is the guy to do more than just win a playoff game — something they haven’t done in a franchise-record seven years."

I've made it clear that I don't trust Dulac's information. That is mostly due to what he wrote before the 2022 draft. First, he wrote that there was only one quarterback the Steelers would consider in the first round that year, but didn't say who it was. Then, in his draft day preview, he wrote that it would be Malik Willis. Of course, we know he got that wrong. Then he changed his story, writing that there were multiple quarterbacks they would have taken at No. 20. All of that cannot be true and he never acknowledged his error. Either his reporting before the draft was wrong or his reporting after it was wrong. I don't have a problem with a reporter getting a story like that wrong on occasion. Teams put out so much false information before the draft that it is going to happen. A quick acknowledgment of his error would have covered it, but he didn't do that.

I bring all that up because it is certainly possible that Dulac is wrong about the Steelers not going after a quarterback who wants to be a starter. Maybe news of a trade for Fields will break tomorrow. But if we are going to take his reporting seriously, that is the much bigger story right now. Any division in the organization over Rudolph and Pickett only matters if they re-sign Rudolph.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Yeah, the whole thing is ridiculous. What if Dulac is right and they really aren't considering anyone who is a legitimate threat to be the starter?

• Like Like x 2
  7. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    It was bad enough when self described local journalists start blabbing and posting this crap on their podcasts and media, but when journalists (some respected) with years of at least some integrity are reaching for clicks, then I just shut it down. Like the Steelers really have any say on what MR does, except make him an offer he may or may not refuse. The same can be said for anyone on the FA market, less so for Fields, except Omar making a deal that might end up looking fantastic, or put the team in the same or worse situation for 2 or 3 more years.

So I will sit here in my recliner, drink some beers, reminisce about past beauties is used to lust for, and wait untill it is official. lol

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. Brice

Brice

Jul 18, 2018
    Welcome to post News Paper world.

The New York Times closed it's entire Sports department. Sports Illustrated is going bankrupt and has laid off 80% of its work force. Even ESPN just recently had to fire 20 of its highest paying on air people to get inline with the new online world. The only "Reporters" still around are those making money by the clicks or views that their videos get. I have no idea what those press boxes look like now.

• Like Like x 2
  9. BigBensBigBong

BigBensBigBong Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2014
    I would rank Wilson a maybe and the rest a no-go.

• Like Like x 1
  10. pastorbob

pastorbob Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    Can we put a franchise tag on Mason? He replaced Kenny once so Kenny would feel real competition and who else would we tag if not Mason.

11. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    I do not think so under the contract he signed, and you realize the tag for QB this year is 36 million, guaranteed and paid this CAP year. I like MR but he is not worth that.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Lol

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. jeh1856

jeh1856 Just chilling

Oct 26, 2011
    And no where does this actually provide proof of any “internal division”

This is click bait and reposted here

Last edited: Feb 17, 2024
    • Agree Agree x 3
  14. Tiggs99

Tiggs99 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2019
    There are two receivers main receivers (Pickens and Diontae) who have publicly come out and said that they prefer Mason over Pickens. They had their best days under Mason and their future paychecks depend on their production. So obviously Dulac isn't making this up. It's a similar situation when AB was getting upset when Vick came in and his numbers plummeted. Mason isn't signed so this is an indictment on Pickett. Many in the team feel that Pickett is a bum and not best for their future. Former or possibly unemployed scribes may feel otherwise.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Thor

Thor

Mar 20, 2014
    But did they? I remember DJ having comments, and Pickens' numbers definitely went up with Rudolph, who he spoke highly of during his time as starter, but I don't remember there being a specific quote of preference one way or the other.

16. Tiggs99

Tiggs99 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2019
    There you go in link below where Diontae says he hopes Mason is the starting QB in 2024.
    https://steelerswire.usatoday.com/2...ntae-johnson-mason-rudolph-kenny-pickett-nfl/

Picken also echoing similar sentiments. He never displayed ‘Goat’ signs for Pickett. That’s about as public a display for their preference.
    https://steelerswire.usatoday.com/2024/01/20/steelers-mason-rudolph-george-pickens-nfl/

Last edited: Feb 17, 2024
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. UKSheffieldSteeler

UKSheffieldSteeler Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2020
    I'm not against internal division if it can promote and cultivate new ideas and better solutions.

• Like Like x 3
  18. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    I actually think this is the most likely scenario. Its the wrong decision, but this is the most likely course of action the Steelers would take.

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. Thor

Thor

Mar 20, 2014
    Okay, those were the two I'd seen as well. I knew Johnson's was pretty direct, Pickens I don't put much weight behind either way. Obviously I'm sure he liked the increased productivity as much as DJ, but GOAT? It could just as easily be an overly warm sendoff if in fact Rudolph departs in free agency.

I like that there's a little push from teammates on Pickett as well. No blatant disrespect, but enough to give him a push heading into next year. Whatever we want to say about Canada's playcalling, Pickett also has to start throwing into NFL windows. Rolling out left, checkdowns, and the occasional back shoulder fade isn't going to cut it.

20. Brice

Brice

Jul 18, 2018
    LOL... The tag value for a QB is estimated to be $36.3 million. ARE YOU CRAZY!!
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  21. Steelersfan43

Steelersfan43 Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2016

• Agree Agree x 3
  22. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    I'm sure Mason would appreciate the 35 million dollar raise. lol

• Winner Winner x 2
  23. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Interesting and encouraging. Kenny Pickett in no way deserves to be anointed QB1 going into next season. He’s done nothing to earn that designation. He shouldn’t be tossed aside and should be given every opportunity to compete and earn the starting job, but Khan and company need to commit to Mason Rudolph as the presumed QB1 going into next season with Kenny LEARNING from the bench. If Pickett clearly outperforms him in the pre-season or if Rudolph struggles for multiple games, then give Kenny another shot. I thought it was foolish for Tomlin and Rooney to essentially make that commitment after Kenny’s struggles over two seasons. If the team commits to Mason as QB1 heading into next year, he may decide that he wants to try and keep rolling with the what amounts to a really good offensive unit with a solid line and special skill players.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  24. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    LoL. How long are You going to hold that one report about Malik Willis over Dulacs head???
    Although I do agree with what You said.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  25. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I'll do the same, but complain more. LoL