1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Rudolph indicates he wants a fresh start

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Blast Furnace, Feb 11, 2024.

1. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011

Tannenhill rumors picking up steam.

2. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Lots to work with in Sam Howell what some people
    Don't realize are that most Qb's need help. Good OL play ,scheme, good running game , wr's that run disciplined patterns.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2024
    • Like Like x 1
  3. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020

bwhahhahahahahahahaaa

you are hitched to Kenny, he has SUCKED thus far. between the 2, Mason is better

does that help you?

no one is blinder than he who cannot see.......

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    I can't really blame Rudolph for wanting to try to get somewhere else.

Even if resigned, you know they are gonna try to give Pickett the shot. Its do or die year on Pickett.

I'm not too in love with Ryan Tannehill, but its probably a back up spot so... is what it is.. not sure if its any down grade from Mitch.

I just hope if a QB falls in the draft they aren't deathly afraid of taking a chance on a guy.

Just watching Mahomes last night, goes to show you... can't win Championships without a guy.

Not saying we will ever land a guy like him, but you need someone who can try to go at least toe to toe with him... and we don't even have a QB remotely close to even doing that.

5. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    The Steelers are expected to go after Ryan Tannehill
    The Steelers reportedly have a quarterback in mind to bring competition

Disagree all you want but it's not my opinion it's the talk around the NFL.

6. jeh1856

jeh1856 Nap time

Oct 26, 2011
    So it’s just someone else’s opinion

• Winner Winner x 2
  7. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022

If Washington has truly given up on him, they will want to stock some draft capital as they want the first pick.
    For Aurthur, he could fit his scheme well.
    But I have no clue what Pittsburgh is thinking. Fields has not proven he's any better value.
    Either way, it is a risk.

And a little better than the "Mason is better blah, blah blah" argument when we know they are not going to get into a bid war and probably not even going to counter.
    The only advantage to signing Mason...... is nothing. He doesn't know Smith's offense.
    I think Smith would like a Play-Action, somewhat mobile QB... Mason is not that guy.

I can see Mason in SF. He is a big upgrade over Sam Darnold and fits that system. Don't know what they will do there.

8. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    As you should. It is reaching truly ridiculous levels here.

Rudolph is probably going to be at least a No. 2 quarterback somewhere. Maybe he doesn't get an offer with the money or opportunity he wants and comes back to the Steelers hoping to take the job from Pickett, but I think he at least earned good No. 2 quarterback money.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Cousins is going to want way too much money. If they are going to spend, I would rather they go after Patrick Queen and one of the top free agent centers.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022
    Yeah, and he will want to be the starter for 4 years.
    I'd go Tannehill this year and next year just swallow the pill and go after a QB should they decide Pickett is not the guy.

11. Michael E

Michael E Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2022
    I have several opinions on this.

First, good for Mason. He has always been second/third fiddle in a QB room full of second/third fiddles.

Second, good for the Steelers. He is NOT anything resembling a GOOD NFL QB. He is subpar. He LOOKS good in comparison to the other crap we've been coaching up (down I mean, we have Tomlin the Terrible and had Canada the Clueless), but that doesn't make him a GOOD or even serviceable QB.

We need, no MUST aim higher. It's risk/reward, but limping along with subpar QB play, playing it safe with veteran castoffs or young mediocrity will get us nowhere. If we had a good/great HC and OC, then maybe, but we don't.

I don't think Pickett is the answer, but he was gimped by the worst OC in the NFL the past two years. While Smith may not be a great OC, he's at least average or better and hopefully will get Pickett's confidence back. Whether a confident Pickett still is mediocre/bad, that is to be seen.

12. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    Mason being better than Kenny does not make Mason good.

• Winner Winner x 2
  13. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    In terms of it not making sense for us in your view, what are you thinking it’s going to take to trade for him? I’m not thinking it’s a 1st or 2nd given how their season went.

14. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I don’t think Rudolph will get so much of a cold shoulder that he has to come back as a 3rd stringer at the vet minimum again. He showed enough that someone is likely to see him as a very viable #2. If he wants to be a starter somewhere, that could be aiming a bit high. But I think he’ll get a multi-million deal as a backup. There’s a chance that he gets a bridge QB type of contract like Trubisky got here in 2022.

15. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022
    With that new management, it's tough to gauge..
    And I don't know if Pittsburgh is even considering. Pure speculation on my part. I wouldn't imagine it would be anything higher than a 3rd.

The issue I see is, Kenny and Howell and no vet - though technically, both are. I can't make sense of that position.
    I see them getting a Tannehill or Brissett and working with Kenny.
    They had a couple nice additions in QB coach and what did they say Pass game coordinator?

16. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020

did not say that, but Mason was pretty good for a brief month.

if we are going CHEAP, Mason is decent alternative.

if we are going BIG, then GO BIG!

Last edited: Feb 12, 2024
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. SteelersFanCanada

SteelersFanCanada Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2019
    It makes the most sense for Mason to go elsewhere.

18. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    Still not worth signing if he wants top backup money.

19. TGH

TGH Well-Known Member

May 8, 2018
    Mason Rudolph needs to finally be given his window just like every fkr got theirs. It's as simple as that.

20. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    what is your QB solution?

21. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    I doubt very much Mason has decided anything at this point and if the steelers made him a decent offer I’m sure he would give it due consideration. He would have a good chance of beating KP to the starting job in a genuine competition

He will probably test free agency and see what is there.

I don’t like the Tannehill idea but it does make some sense I suppose, a veteran that can come in and give you steady play if needed.

Looking at the rest of the roster this is a team that should have realistic ambitions of winning the division and breaking the playoff loss streak next season. There is a lot of talent on the roster but poor QB play is going to continue to hold them back by the looks of it

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011

Starting at the 2:30 mark until about the 8:50 mark they discuss the Rudolph situation plus Tannehill.

23. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I'm sorry you don't understand how silly it is to ignore five-plus seasons due to two games against terrible defenses and one against a team treating the game like preseason.

I don't trust Pickett at this point. I'm not hitched to him at all. I think y'all are giving up on him way too quickly, but he's got no more than one season to take a big step forward. I just understand that there is a very strong chance that Rudolph is fool's gold, a concept that eludes you.

24. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    No, he shouldn't be given anything. If he chooses to re-sign with the team, he should get the opportunity to fairly compete with Pickett for the job, but neither of them should be given anything.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  25. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    That's what I think he should get, too. Ideally, the Steelers would give him that sort of deal and have a real competition between him and Pickett for 2024. If Pickett can't beat him out and spends the season on the bench, it's time to go looking for a new long-term answer at quarterback.