1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Rudolph indicates he wants a fresh start

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Blast Furnace, Feb 11, 2024.

1. Philofarnsworth79

Philofarnsworth79 Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2019
    When your obviously best Qb is sitting on the bench for most the season so the coach doesn't have to admit a mistake what do you call it??? But I mainly was just taking a shot at fans...Also clearly the Steelers care,,, that's why they started MR over KP...

Last edited: Feb 11, 2024
  2. Philofarnsworth79

Oct 6, 2019
    He was definitely dancing around it... It's like it would hurt Tomlins feelings to admit he's been wrong about Rudolph...

• Like Like x 1
  3. Philofarnsworth79

Oct 6, 2019
    Its not a "split" at the fan level & DEFINITELY not at the team level... It's overwhelmingly one sided towards Rudolph...

4. Steelvision

Steelvision Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2022
    I hope so. They should resign MR, let KP feel the heat of some real competition. If he’s the real deal he’ll hold MR off. I’m skeptical of the idea of signing Tannehill, he already lost his job to what’s that guys name? Mavis? We already beat him.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I agree, but he did play the position competently during that stretch, which was refreshing

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Staying with the hot hand when the starter has a month of rust on him is not the same thing as taking the job from him. I'm sorry you don't understand that.

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. Mashburn

Mashburn Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2021
    Says who? What coach or player on the roster said, "we want Rudolph over tannehill"?

I understand players and coaches will always say they want a player back and etc. That's not new at all. But there's no one I've seen that has said they want Rudolph over all options out there.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    I think he was talking about Kenny vs Mason. I don't think it had anything to do with Tannehill.

9. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    I sure hope we do. Another season with Pickett starting would be demoralizing.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Really, Justin Fields still?

I figured with the hiring of Arthur Smith, the Justin Fields talk would stop. Fields seems like he would be a square peg in a round hole for Arthur Smith's offense.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    I never said he hasn't out performed them, however, they are not winning a championship with Mason Rudolph. Just because he's their best bad option does not mean they should over pay for him. He's replaceable.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2024
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  12. Philofarnsworth79

Oct 6, 2019
    EXACTLY

• Like Like x 1
  13. Philofarnsworth79

Oct 6, 2019
    Brice can explain it to you

• Like Like x 1
  14. RipTydz

RipTydz Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2022
    I sure hope Arthur Smith can turn Pickett around but I'm not going to hold my breathe. I had high hopes after seeing him perform at the end of his rookie year but I feel like he is missing that moxy that Mason had that he showed in these last few games. Mason was a gunslinger that showed he believed in his receivers and allowed them to make plays. Pickett looks like he will only throw it if the receiver is "college open"...but he isn't in college anymore. I'm curious if Matt Canada would still be here if Mason was the starting QB instead of Pickett. Not that I'm a Canada apologist but I recall seeing WRs wide open wether they were 10 yards or 20 yards down the field that Pickett was total missing. In my opinion, we are in for a long year if Pickett and Tannehill are our 2 QBs.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  15. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Probably feels like he won't get a fair shake again. :cool:

16. DJ18Baller

DJ18Baller Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2021
    Well get ready for a long year because this is the new standard.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    To you people who disagreed and dislike this post you do know when you see a wink it's a joke??

18. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Thats probably going to happen though!

My prediction:

Steelers sign Tannehill
    Rudolph tests FA market and receives the cold shoulder again
    Rudolph signs back with the Steelers as 3rd string

Actually hope that doesn’t happen for Rudolphs sake, seems like a good guy and teammate. Hope he gets a #2 job with someone at least. I just like to push back on the overhyping him narrative :taunt:

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Trafalgar

Trafalgar Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2016
    It's 95% certain IMO that the next QB who can make us consistently competitive in January isn't currently on the roster. Steelers need to to approach the QB position with this front and centre in their mind.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  20. DJ18Baller

DJ18Baller Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2021
    Well KP is going to at least get this year. I would assume if he flames out they would look to draft another one in 25

• Winner Winner x 1
  21. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022
    Mason is not the "Franchise QB" period barring some sort of unbelievable miracle.
    Even if they have to start him as such this season, they are going to draft his replacement in 2025.

March 13th is the beginning of Free Agency.
    I think I could see Mason's statement as true. There's probably going to be at least 3 new starting QB's - some predict the first 3 picks will be QB's. Bears, Commanders and Patriots. There is a chance he could do something in Washington or New England (there are other teams)

I think the Bears will pedal Fields off.
    I don't want any part of that deal, we'd be stuck with him with a new contract.
    I do think the references of 'exploring the possibility of a trade' reference Fields.
    I'm not sure there's any other QB other than Mac Jones and Sam Howell that are trade bait.

Cousins, I imagine he's looking to start 4 more years. That could buy some time.
    I just am not sure about that deal.

Tannehill would be a good option. He's better than Mitch or Mason and might even be better for Pickett.
    He's also a short-term lease that keeps the options open in 2025.

I think the draft is the solution. At some point, they are going to have to belly up and make the move to get the guy they want.
    *As a side note: I am hating the Mock Drafts I see... almost all defense! (I don't really put much in them, seldom are they right beyond the obvious)

QB play has to step up as the AFC has some decent QB's led by Mahomes as the QB for the Kansas City Swifts

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    Personally, I think Fields is a square peg in a round home running an NFL offense.

However, if for some reason we trade for him I’ll get 100% behind him and hope for the best.

• Winner Winner x 1
  23. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    I still really like Sam Howell’s potential. The Washington games that I watched last year required him to play way too much hero ball. I think he can be very solid with a good supporting cast, and the right scheme - like Arthur Smith’s scheme.

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    They didn't last year when he was not offered during last year FA period.

25. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022

Behind the Jets, Washington is the biggest QB killer in the NFL. It should be illegal for them to even have one.
    I like Sam, he did a good job with what he had - No semblance of an offensive line and trying to throw 50 times a game.
    Only a few here will get that. (but that's more than Washington fans)
    I don't know if his career can be resurrected.
    Washington is going to draft 1 of the top 2 QBs and there's even talk of them swapping picks with Chicago.

I'd take Howell over Fields in the blink of an eye. He can run like crazy and has a strong arm.
    The deal wouldn't hurt us at all. But I think it's not a deal that makes sense here.
    I see Pittsburgh working this draft to address line of scrimmage, and picking up a vet in FA.