1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

TJ got screwed

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steelpens65, Feb 8, 2024.

1. DJ18Baller

DJ18Baller Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2021
    Analytics has trumped common sense in many areas.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. Steelresolve

Steelresolve Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2022
    All you have to do is look at the first game this year between Cleveland and Pittsburgh.

Garrett had a 91.7 PFF Grade. Watt had an 82 PFF and Highsmith had an 91.1.

The Browns lost. Garrett had 1 tackle and one QB hit thats it. Watt had 5 tackles, 4 QB hits, 1 sack, 1 pass batted, 1 fumble recover, 2 tackles for loss and a touchdown. Highsmith had 7 tackles, 1 sack, 1 forced fumble, 1 tackle for loss, 2 qb hits, an interception and a touchdown. Watts teammates didn’t really produce any major splash plays either and Kenny Picket had a higher QB passer rating than Deshaun Watson so to use the argument that maybe Myules didn’t contribute in actual stats but his impact made a difference for his teammates and on the game is absolutely untrue. Not to mention the Watt didn’t have Heyward nor does he have the same quality at the second and third levels that Garrett does. The Steelers Edge players had game changing plays that won the game for the Steelers going up against a superior offensive line and QB and yet PFF still scored Garrett higher.

This goes to show you the bias of PFF. They come up with a fictional metric like Pass Rush Win Rate but they done’t reveal how they calculate the PWR to justify their grades. The sad thing is the voters legitimize them because they are lazy and just following trends. It makes them look more informed (they think) when in reality it is a joke.

The other thing people forget is the Browns often played with a lead because they had a better offense so as a result the opposing offense was in a third and long more often or playing catch up in the second half. As an Edge player thats your dream scenario because the opposing offense is in a more predictable situation where they have to pass the ball and hold onto the ball longer to throw deeper. This means the Edge Player can pin their ears back and go after the QB. Because the Steelers defense was poor against the run we were not positioned favorable very often to go after the QB.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. We need a change

We need a change Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2017
    Everyone has injuries, do you know how many LB’s we went through? Safeties? It’s part of the game. The guy has 3 billion dollar QB and a loaded roster. They had the best defense in the league and got humiliated by a rookie coach and QB in the playoffs. Watch what he does when the loin- cloth man’s contract kicks in fully.

4. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Micah MIA for the second half of the season, just like Garrett was :shrug:.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    This type of award matters for players legacies, just like them making All-Pro teams, stuff like this can factor into making the hall of fame.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2024
    • Agree Agree x 2
  6. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    The Browns also lost Chubb and both of their tackles on the OL to injury.

7. Rocky Mtn

Rocky Mtn Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2023
    I hope you're right. Too much Taylor!

8. We need a change

Oct 9, 2017
    He is an embarrassment. If this idiot ever let the league in anything they would be over moon cheering that he should win it. He should take a look at his own stats and take out the stuff he got against the Giants and Commanders and he would see he has nothing.

• Like Like x 1
  9. We need a change

Oct 9, 2017
    And? Hunt ran just fine, it’s the NFL and you have to anticipate injury. The whole team has to be ready. Did you see any empathy for Tomlin when Ben was hurt? When TJ was down? When Fitz went down? How do you explain the orgy in Houston? The team didn’t even show up.

10. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    I was explaining why the voters probably voted for Stefanski, I posted earlier Ryans was my choice for COTY.

11. We need a change

Oct 9, 2017
    He could have had 10 sacks, it would not matter.

12. We need a change

Oct 9, 2017
    Idk how they could pass on Ryans, he completely turned that whole deal around. And they have a ton of cap space going into next year. The Browns left their asses, pride and 1st round picks in Texas.

13. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    I was thinking if Watt had like 21 sacks to Garret's 14, would they have still screwed him over?

14. We need a change

Oct 9, 2017
    Yes, it seemed to be selected way before the end of the season. How do you go the final 7 games with zero sacks? And get nothing in the playoffs?

15. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Maybe because they realize that CJ Stroud is a way better Qb than anything the Browns have. :shrug:

• Like Like x 1
  16. We need a change

Oct 9, 2017
    The Browns got the guy they wanted. He’s surly better than we have so why didn’t Tomlin get it? They both were wild cards and both lost in the playoffs. And we played a dam site better against the Hills and Allen is better than Stroud

17. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Dude. I've said that about Tomlin before. I honestly believe the only way Tomlin wins is to go 17-0.
    People laugh, but he has actually done what many other HCs have , and not won

• Like Like x 1
  18. DJ18Baller

DJ18Baller Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2021
    You know what else helps those legacies?

19. We need a change

Oct 9, 2017
    It seems to me that they use awards and things like that to keep fans interested in teams with small fanbases. The Steelers always sell out, alway bring a crowd and are alway relevant. They have tried for years to get the Browns to perform somehow someway. Now they want to bilk another billion from the tax payers to build an unneeded stadium. They were idiots for building it where it is anyway, I went last year and it was pathetic. No parking, no way in and out. So now they want to build a dome somewhere out in the middle of no where. No restaurants, no hotels, no nothing except polluted lake water. The NFL does not want to go through another move debacle and don’t want to fight a communist law Ohio passed that tries to prevent private sports teams from leaving a failed city/state. Rather than trying to make the environment good for the business, they pass law to imprison them.

• Like Like x 1
  20. We need a change

Oct 9, 2017
    On a serious note, they probably want out of that place because the QB to win the most games there is named Ben. The humiliation they’ve suffered there can’t be forgotten.

• Winner Winner x 1
  21. james weyandt

james weyandt Well-Known Member

Sep 6, 2021
    The more I hear about TJ NOT winning DPOY the:mad::mad::mad: I get .There is no way in he-- that Garret is better than TJ.Heres what I think of that.:icon bs::icon bs::icon bs::puking2:Garret

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. james weyandt

james weyandt Well-Known Member

Sep 6, 2021
    :steelflag: TJ WATT :steelflag:OUR defensive player always:herewego!:

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. Thor

Thor

Mar 20, 2014
    This. I have no problem with analytics. Baseball has a ton of them. But unless you have a Bill James to lay the groundwork and historical significance behind the calculations it's just numbers on a page to me, especially when it flies in the face of common sense.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  24. forgotten1

forgotten1 Well-Known Member

Mar 4, 2022
    Endorsements?

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  25. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    What is more troubling though about T.J. winning his DPOY vs Myles is the fact that T.J. had to have a season for the ages just to simplu win the damn thing. After a tremendous first half of the season, Myles went MIA during the second half of it; literally!!

As @steelersrule6 stated, things like DPOYs and All Pros matter big time in terms of accolades for HOF Consideration as a Defensive Player and doubly so an EDGE rusher. The more one has?!... the better their chances.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2024
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1