1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Art Rooney II ‘Not Closing The Door’ On Steelers Trading For QB

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steelersfan43, Feb 6, 2024.

1. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    The only way Fields gets here is if some space is made for his fifth year option; one that is $23.3 million. Even if space is made for that, the next objective is to see if Fields can lead the Steelers to where they need to go. Given how Fields has an overall record of 10 wins and 28 losses as a starter (though not all on him), it is fair to question whether or not he would be able to turn it around here.

A major positive for Fields is that Arthur Smith does favor mobile QBs. Fields definitley counts as one for certain. Just gonna have to wait and see though Atlatna would be a much better fit for Fields in my opinion.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  2. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020
    Which makes it all pointless... build the line, and tank in the process and then draft a QB in the top ten... going with that bum only because he's slightly better than our current bums is like choosing 5 Guys over McDonalds when you should be going for some prime rib

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    I'd rather Steelers get Kyler Murray than Justin Fields. Murray is a better QB and has a better arm. But.... Kyler Murray has the personality issues like Aaron Rodgers.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Steelersfan43

Steelersfan43 Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2016
    I don't think Murray is on the trade market....

5. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    we changed OC's so it won't be the same system.

it also doesn't have to be kenny or mason they are trading away. it may be trubisky. hopefully anyway. :cool:

6. jeh1856

jeh1856 Nap time

Oct 26, 2011
    upload_2024-2-7_10-6-57.jpeg

• Hilarious Hilarious x 6
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022
    There's probably 3 QBs going to be out of a job, maybe more.
    It certainly looks like 2 QB's are off the boards with the first two picks.

Fields is a desperation talking point. His career looks like Jamis Winston part II.

Kenny Pickett should be the only QB left on this roster.
    There is some possibility of keeping Mason, he may not be in high demand.
    But talk of Mason being the Franchise is also desperation.
    Mitch probably sold his Steelers uniform to some homeless person on the cheap.

At pick #20, Pittsburgh doesn't have a lot of options when it comes to QB.
    I don't know if a Brock Purdy or Tom Brady is embedded in this draft. I figure they will use a pick late on one.
    Hopefully they grab an OT and C early on...

Pickings are a bit slim, I'm having trouble thinking of a team that has a QB not starting and laboring on the bench that I would trade for?
    Wilson might be on the cheap... I wouldn't trade for him though.
    Cousins, I don't even think Minnesota knows exactly what they are going to do yet.
    The Cincy QB will probably get a good contract but I'm not sure I want to pay a lot for him. Maybe..

Mason is every bit as good a Brissett, Minshew and those others.
    Pretty sure the plan is to go to camp with 4 QB's - Pickett, Mason/FA, Draft pick and undrafted FA?
    It should be interesting.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    The Falcons had a mobile quarterback, too, in Desmond Ridder. He ran the ball 53 times in 15 starts. You would think they would have taken more advantage of his legs given that he didn't do much as a passer. By the way, Fields ran 124 times in 13 starts.

9. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    It would be better and cheaper against the cap to draft a QB in the 4th or 5th round. Rudolph, Pickett and draft pick.

• Agree Agree x 5
  10. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I've read conflicting things about Smith and mobile quarterbacks. I'm not sure that helped all that much with Ridder, but maybe Ridder just isn't very good.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    This assumes they can re-sign Rudolph, but I would rather see them try to get him back than trade a high pick or multiple picks for Fields.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. jeh1856

jeh1856 Nap time

Oct 26, 2011
    Kenny may get hurt Kenny may not progress

We need a second quarterback who can win games so at the right price Mason is a good option

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. SteelersfaninPhilly

SteelersfaninPhilly Well-Known Member

Apr 26, 2018
    Price tag on fields is at least one first round pick. So your field of dreams is not happening.

14. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022
    Mason is as good as any of the obvious options out there.
    Blowing picks for Fields is just not a good option.
    I'd keep an eye on Washington. The interaction between Chicago and Washington will be interesting.
    Kingsbury would like to get the first pick and get his guy. Chicago is hedging a bet on Fields.
    Trading up from the 2nd pick is pretty easy. Of course, there's other teams that might pull a Ditka.

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I agree that they need a quarterback who can compete with Pickett for the job in 2024. I'm just not sure Rudolph is willing to return for a reasonable contract. Why would he trust them to give him a fair shot at the job?

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. Steelpens65

Steelpens65 Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2021
    This….if Rattler was available take him

17. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022

Simple:
    Because Kenny is a round 1 pick. He is the guy they planned on being the man.
    Mason blew his chances over 6 years.
    If Mason trots out on the field next season as the starter, that means Pickett failed and get ready for a rough season with Mason.
    The good news, we'll probably be in a better draft position on 2025.

(sorry to inject but couldn't sit by)

18. jeh1856

jeh1856 Nap time

Oct 26, 2011
    Agreed

It will depend obviously on money first but second it will depend on any conversations he has with the new kid on the block

In a local interview Mason spoke highly of the organization and it seemed genuine and not just lip service

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    i wouldn't mind pratt or even hartman from ND. either would be a good draft pick or even UDFA if possible. :cool:

• Like Like x 1
  20. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Exactly. I have no problem with anyone doubting Pickett but how can you feel good about Rudolph leading the team anywhere. He’s the guy you want to go up against that gauntlet of QB’s in the AFC?

They need a better plan B.

• Agree Agree x 2
  21. MeanJoeBlue

MeanJoeBlue Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2013
    I think most are judging him on his first year of getting real playing time.
    That year, he had a major concussion (still on protocol days after), and then a month later he was bashed in the unprotected head by a 270 lb DL. When he is healthy and his brain isn't rattled, his normal play is significantly better than when he got replaced by Duck.

We aren't expecting him to out-gun Mahommes. But considering the Steelers are up against the cap *without* a top-tier QB contract, he may be a low-salary QB good enough for a team spending its money on other players.
    (Contrast that with the Browns, where Watson's cap hit just went from $19M to $63M for the next season.)

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    He won't cost a first. Maybe a second but it's more likely a third plus another.

23. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022
    Well, I think we are fooling ourselves if we think he's anything better than what you later describe.
    As I mentioned, the good thing in that scenario, we will be in better position to address it.
    I don't really see any solutions out there. Just "a low-salary QB good enough for a team spending its money on other players." Mason is at least as good as any of those.

• Like Like x 1
  24. MeanJoeBlue

MeanJoeBlue Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2013
    In reverse order, extending Trubs was an easy decision, based on the contract.
    If he suddenly became good, they have him under contract. And if they decide to cut him, there is no meaningful drawback.
    The original contract was $14M over 2 years.
    With the extension, it became $10M over 2 years, with $4M stretched out over the 2 additional years. Same amount of money they originally invested in Trubs, but spread out over more years.

I was in favor with adding Mitch as well.
    Without a surefire QB to replace Ben, the Steelers tried 4 different approaches rather than put all their eggs in one basket.
    - veteran backup (Mason) who hasn't wowed people so far
    - former 1st round QB that had a past pro-Bowl season but needed change/improvement (Mitch)
    - former 1st round talent who needed a lot of growth (Haskins)
    - fresh late 1st round pick (Pickett)

None of them were great options, but even a top-5 draft pick isn't a sure thing. And they gave themselves multiple chances at getting lucky, without blowing out the team salary cap.

• Like Like x 1
  25. AtlSteel

AtlSteel Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2021
    I'd much rather we traded up to get one of the top 3 QBs on the board, but that would be expensive and I don't think we would do it.