1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

New Stadium/renovations

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Animus, May 5, 2023.

1. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    Best game I went to was late December. Cold but clear. Kids were probably 17, 15, and 13. Walked down from our hotel, stopped at Primanti's (was really pissed my 13 year old 70 lb daughter finished hers). Lower level, corner. About three or four guys shirtless in the teens weather. Saw one surrounded by security, kept saying just sit down, just sit down (too far away for him to hear me). They tazed him.
    Anyhow, we won.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I still think Acrisure is quite nice, and they seem to have figured out the sodding issues the past few years.

God all those old stadiums were crap holes for a long time…. I’m thinking of The Vet, 3 Rivers, Bengals old stadium, etc. They lasted 10 years too long.

To be honest, I know Steelers are popular, but if they build a Jerry World v.2. I’m not sure they can fill a 80-90K stadium week in week out. Pitt isn’t a huge city. I know Acrisure holds 68K, but it never looks completely full to my eyes when I go.

• Like Like x 1
  3. jeh1856

jeh1856 Nap time

Oct 26, 2011
    Just an attendance tidbit

Average attendance last season was 96.9% of capacity

4. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    There isn't anything wrong with the Stadium, every one compares the old Three Rivers was 30 years old and Heinz/Acrisure is now 23 years old argument.
    Remember the big push on this was because each team wanted its own venue, they didn't want shared venue's, also wanted Luxury boxes etc. which bring in huge dollars.
    Also tied in at the time was the David L. Lawrence convention center into the 3 projects of Acrisure (Heinz) , PNC Park, and the convention center.
    Spend money doing some updates etc. but I think we are easily looking at a 40 year life span before a new Stadium could be thought about for the Steelers.
    Now Nashville is replacing theirs which is only like 25-26 years old. But, Nashville is a out bed, its legs the mid-west/east Las Vegas with entertainment etc.
    Nashville is playing to host a Super Bowl for sure.

• Like Like x 1
  5. jeh1856

jeh1856 Nap time

Oct 26, 2011
    One of the reasons they were forced to replace Three Rivers was because the plumbing infrastructure was going bad and it was all encased in the concrete so it could not be fixed

If you look up while you walk around Acrisure Stadium you will see they deliberately left the sewer lines exposed

• Like Like x 1
  6. SteelersFan369

SteelersFan369 Well-Known Member

Oct 31, 2022
    Hand me that jackhammer before the pipe wrench

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    I actually think IF they built a new stadium it would actually be a bit smaller.

I think we are going to find outside of a few cities (New York, Dallas, Chicago) that NFL stadiums are going to start reducing seats. More and more people just prefer TV.

• Informative Informative x 1
  8. jeh1856

jeh1856 Nap time

Oct 26, 2011
    As follow up no new stadium but renovations

“We are going through a stadium assessment at this point, really looking at what it’s going to take to be in this stadium for the next 10, 20 years, whatever it’s going to be,” Rooney said, via Steelers.com. “It’s a process. Hired some consultants to help us look at it. We like the stadium, think it’s a great facility. With the right kinds of improvements, [it] can continue to be our home for a long time.”

• Informative Informative x 1
  9. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020
    Yea, I have no doubt that they'd want to do the right kind of improvements. I truly think that they love the north shore. But to play devil's advocate, they're not just going to jump out and say they want a new stadium without transparently trying to do improvements and say the right things ahead of wanting a new stadium.

10. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    build 3 rivers back and bring back that astroturf. when men were men and sheep were scared. :smiley1::cool:

• Like Like x 2
  11. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    The term sharp cookie does not seem to be that extraordinary. I have yet to ever see one on the grocery store shelves.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  13. Wardismvp

Oct 26, 2011
    I guess I am showing my age.and colloquialism

14. 86WardsWay

Dec 27, 2012
    I’d say more than anything leave the structure alone and improve the daylights out of the concession stands and restrooms. If you leave right at halftime to hit both you’ll be lucky to get back to your seat 5 or 10 minutes already into the 3rd quarter. My son and I waited the entire halftime trying to get some food and drinks and left the line 1 minute to kickoff of 2 nd half without moving 15 feet of a long line. When we were in Las Vegas last year at Allegiant stadium it took less than 5 minutes to hit the bathroom, grab a couple pieces of pizza and go to a different line for a beer. Still caught the whole halftime show of Lil Wayne, which by the way was great.

15. 86WardsWay

Dec 27, 2012
    I must be too cause I’ll need to open a dictionary for that last word.

16. Wardismvp

Oct 26, 2011
    I may have spelled it wrong lol ,colloquial

17. 86WardsWay

Dec 27, 2012
    Still need a dictionary. Lol

18. jrompola

jrompola Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Whenever I go to heinz/acrrisure I see the same. If you go with 2 min left in the 2nd you are fine, but if you leave at halftime in some instances you could miss the whole 3rd qtr.

19. bradshaw12

bradshaw12 Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2018

20. 86WardsWay

Dec 27, 2012
    The NFL holds the Owners hostage. The owners hold the city hostage. The City Politicians hold the businesses hostage. The local Government fleeces the public all while a good portion of us let it happen and the people who really get screwed are those that couldn’t care less.

21. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    It Yankee Stadium can be demolished, any stadium can be. Same with Soldier Field.

Would be a shame if that ever happened to Fenway, been there, thats a ball park.

Lambeau may be the only one untouchable because it’s publicly owned.

22. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    I've also been to Fenway a few times, to me it's more iconic than the original Yankee Stadium ever was, which I was also at once.

The thing is, the Steelers are a small market team, just like the Pirates and Penguins. The reason the Steelers and Penguins can compete, unlike the Pirates, is because the leagues they play in have a salary cap and real revenue sharing. However, their facilities will are an entirely separate entity and stadiums will be in line with what their market will support. Pittsburgh will never have a state of the art stadium like Las Vegas, LA, or Dallas. If they ever got a new stadium it would be more in line with whatever Buffalo is getting.

23. jeh1856

jeh1856 Nap time

Oct 26, 2011
    An original Funk and Wagnalls

24. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    It's been a while but I saw a video on YT explaining the differing ideas in Chicago. the Bears ownership (or a group associated) purchased an old horse race track and want to develop the community around a new stadium. The city of course wants them to stay at solider field, problem is the stadium renovated like 20 years ago, is a dump and the area around it is as well. There is no parking and even public transportation is a long walk. Promises are made, but I am not sure it could ever be brought up to modern standards.

25. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    I'm all for a new stadium if that's what it takes to get the name changed to something reasonable.
    Reasonable being anything different than what it's called now.