1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Better Free Agent pickup for the Steelers in 2024: Mason Rudolph or Ryan Tannehill?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Brice, Jan 31, 2024.

1. Mason Rudolph

40 vote(s)
    83.3%
  2. Ryan Tannehill

8 vote(s)
    16.7%
  1. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Then watch the All 22 for yourself and you’ll see you are wrong. Kenny was going through his reads in the Cincy game.

He also didn’t have these problems in his first season, a mistake people keep making, they keep conflating his first two seasons when in fact he took a major step back this year. That to me is on coaching. They even admitted they had him playing it safe, wanting to limit mistakes. Just let the guy play football, he’s been doing it his whole life, stop making him think so much and just sling it. Let him learn from his mistakes, QB’s throw interception, let him learn, stop coddling him.

They absolutely benched Kenny, Tomlin said he was healthy enough to play but they were going with the hot hand. Thats being benched.

Canada won’t get a job again in the NFL as an OC, that tells you all you need to know about seeing his offense being executed at its highest level.

If I’m right about the OC making as big a difference as I think it will, DJ and Pickens won’t care whos throwing to them as long as they are getting fed.

2. Lloyd&Green

Lloyd&Green Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2015
    Ad hominem is weak and says more about you than the people you’re talking down on in effort to discredit.

Players have more influence/sway than you seem to realize. While they don’t make the final decisions, they definitely have a say. It’s stupid of you to imply that what their top 2 receivers think of the qb situation doesn’t matter. I suspect that one of the reasons that Tomlin decided to stick with #2 even after Kenny was cleared following his injury was due to how the players were in support of Mason.

I’ve made it clear that I think that Canada was unfairly scapegoated. I’m not going to run away from that just to go along with the sheep. My assessment of Kenny is only based on his play on the field. His play has been subpar and blaming it all on Canada and the offensive scheme when you can see that he’s constantly missing reads and throws while refusing to stand in the pocket is just silly.
    Yea man, Kenny could read defenses and go through progressions all along. It was Canada telling him not to though. Canada instructed him to not go through his progressions just like he told him not to use Muth and the middle of the field.

Ridiculous.

This isn’t true either. He wasn’t “good” last year but it was his first year. 7 TD passes in 13 starts is terrible but he was judged on a rookie-curve. The 4th qtr comebacks gave some hope but overall his play his rookie year was subpar. He was basically the same this year as last. He makes the same mistakes. It’s mainly luck/good fortune that he threw less ints this year. He could’ve easily had 3-4 more. It’s smart to play conservative with him because he doesn’t process well, doesn’t handle the blitz well, and has accuracy issues. I suspect that the plan going into this season was to “let him play” and sling it around more, but then he went out against the 9ers and threw 2 ints while looking like sht. They had to alter the offense around his deficiencies. I don’t want to see him out there throwing it around just to see. I don’t think that most Steelers fans want to see that either. The boo-birds are going to be out after a couple of 3 and outs and you think they should give him the leeway to just go out there and start throwing ints?

”Benched” is being taken off the field due to poor play for a replacement. Thats not what happened to Kenny. Mitch got benched. Kenny got hurt.

Whether Canada gets another NFL job or not, my points remain. There were open receivers that Kenny missed every game. There were plays and points left on the field every game. We never got to see Canada’s offense executed at a high level due to incompetent qb play. Those are just facts.

Of course DJ and Pickens won’t care who the qb is as long as they’re eating. That’s why it’s silly to just dismiss the fact that they prefer Mason over Kenny. It’s not personal with them, they just want the best guy available under center. Those guys are clearly more in the know than you, me, or anybody else. If they agreed with you and believed that all of Kenny’s struggles were a result of Canada, then why would they prefer Mason? They and most fans prefer Mason because he looks like the better qb.

• Winner Winner x 1
  3. Confluence

Confluence Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2017
    I see Mason resigning.

There is a chance of Mason earning the starting qb in camp and pre season, meaning he will be our starting qb week one.

First they have to work out a deal which I believe he deserves.

Kenny is the starter now, understood...

• Like Like x 1
  4. METALMAN_68

METALMAN_68 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2022
    Right, wrong or indifferent, Kenny Pickett is likely going to be the starting quarterback for the Pittsburgh Steelers to start next season. A lot of Steelers fans are going to have to come to terms with that.

5. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    What if some team offers him more money that he Steelers might not
    be able to match?

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  6. Michael E

Michael E Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2022

NEITHER. Yuck.

7. james weyandt

james weyandt Well-Known Member

Sep 6, 2021
    IF the players want Mason----> start him. See what happens. I don't know ask the players why they want Mason. It just makes sense to try and have our players want to win. I don't know what the players really want--- but I Don't think its Kenny--- He is no good and I don't care who coaches him he will not be good, but Mason is.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. james weyandt

Sep 6, 2021
    If Kenny does start and wins, I'll be happy. But I still think he can't play in bad weather and just isn't the <MAN>PROVE ME WRONG KENNY ------WIN US A SUPERBOWL

9. james weyandt

Sep 6, 2021
    Draft A qb.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    You said never in 24 games did Kenny show he can go through his reads and I pointed out he has. He did it in the Cincy game as well as his first season and then you applied a straw man argument to me and called it ridiculous. Thats weak, man.

The TD’s weren’t there in his first season but to say that he didn’t look much better his first season is a gross misevaluation. If Kenny looked like this his first season there would have been no excitement going into his second season.

As far as being benched, I wondered if Tomlin was just protecting him long term, his ankle was good enough to play on but definitely wasn’t completely healed but why not just say that. What he did say is Kenny is able to go but we are sticking with the hot hand. When you say your starting QB can go but you don’t play him I don’t know how that doesn’t mean benched.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Lloyd&Green

Lloyd&Green Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2015
    We’re not talking in absolutes so when I say Kenny doesn’t go through progressions I don’t mean he’s never ever done it not even one play. I mean he’s never done it consistently. He’s never even put together a whole game yet. He didn’t do it consistently his first year or this past season. I’m surprised you even argue this point because bailing from the pocket too early and getting happy feet when his first pre snap read isn’t there is the most common widespread criticisms of Kenny. Everybody knows he doesn’t go through progressions.

The TDs have never been there with Kenny and it’s 2 seasons now. Kenny has 1 multiple TD pass game in his career. Mason had 2 in 4 games while also leading the offense to 2 30+ point games which was something g foreign with Kenny.

The flaws he had this year were much of the same from last year. The excitement coming into this year was based on the preseason performances and the hope/belief that he’d make a second year leap. People are disappointed in seeing the same flaws and I suspect a lot of people are thinking that the upside/ceiling may be too low to be waiting on a guy who’s going on 26 to develop the basics.

Coaches play games with the media. We’ll know for sure how strong they feel about Kenny going forward by who they choose to be the backup competition. If they bring Mason back or someone who can truly compete for the starting job, we know his position as qb1 is fragile. If they bring in a Dobbs or Tannehill type(for me would be discouraging) then we know they’re still all in.

• Like Like x 1
  12. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Good question and that needs to be asked of Kenny. He’s the one who said he didn’t learn anything from watching from the sidelines. :shrug:

13. JackAttack 5958

Oct 18, 2011
    Mark Kaboly predicted that Mitch the Pick would be back as the No. 2 to Kenny next season. Kaboly’s an idiot! If that happens…:frustrated:

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. JackAttack 5958

Oct 18, 2011
    Maybe so. But I think the coaching and development of a young QB once they get to the Steelers has been the bigger issue, especially with Rudolph and Pickett.

15. Utpittsburghfan

Utpittsburghfan Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2018
    IMO, it doesn’t take a rocket scientist to see that Kenny won’t make it in the NFL. He doesn’t process quickly enough. Doesn’t stay in the pocket. Doesn’t get outside the pocket and make plays. Doesn’t command the respect of the locker room. Doesn’t have the physical skills…not a strong enough arm. I just don’t see any way he makes it as a decent starting QB in the NFL. But then again, I don’t get paid to evaluate QB’s….

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    You know I don't know how much the #1 Starting QB learns from watching from the sideline? Take his job away and make him 2nd string, and he just might pay more attention to what is going on. Did Ben ever say he learned anything watching his backups play when he was out with an injury?

I think if Tomlin wants Kenny to learn something from the sideline, the first thing he is going to have to do is not make Kenny the #1 QB. I don't have a clue why Tomlin keeps stating Kenny is our #1 QB. No matter how good someone else plays for us in games, Kenny will always be the #1 QB on the depth chart. What would have been so wrong to say this week we are going to go with Mason and make him #1 on the depth chart for this week's game?

So, I might have to agree with Kenny on this one. Kenny is not going to learn a damn thing as the #1 QB watching from the sidelines.

17. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    I’ll be fully behind Kenny or whoever the starter is week 1 but it’s very very hard to see enough improvement from KP to the point where he is the long term answer.

They will give him another chance of course, and the team are supporting him in public, but when they needed to win games down the stretch last season they left him on the bench. They can say he is QB1 as often as they want but when they really needed results to save their season they didn’t trust him, and that says it all IMO.

Maybe the change of coordinator makes him but I don’t see it personally. I can’t recall a recent example of a QB that was this bad and turned it around to become a franchise guy.

What they do in free agency will tell us a lot

18. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    The largest and I mean largest Steeler apologist. To even think that Trubisky will be on this roster going forward is mindless.

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. jeh1856

jeh1856 Nap time

Oct 26, 2011
    If that happens it’s not Kaboly who is an idiot

And we don’t need to keep Mitch “because he knows the system” because it’s a new OC and new system

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  20. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Tannehill to the Steelers is getting a lot of coverage, I could see this happening. Theres the obvious connection to Smith and having his best season with him and this way if Pickett fails and they pull the plug in season they can pivot to Tannehill who is well familiar with Smiths offense.

I don’t think they are going to sign Mason unless they think he can be a long term solution at QB.

21. Philofarnsworth79

Philofarnsworth79 Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2019
    Both rooney and Tomlin have stated publicly that they want rudolph to return... I didn't hear them mention long term solution anywhere. Also the players & fans clearly want it too...

22. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Tannehill to the Steelers would be Trubisky 2.0 :bowdown:

• Winner Winner x 1
  23. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    They also told him there would be an open competition when they drafted Pickett and signed Trubisky.

Also, things changed, Smith wasn’t yet OC when they met with Rudolph. Tannehill makes sense in that regard.

Since when do teams make decisions based around what fans want? Or players for that matter. They will do what they think is best for the team.

24. Michael E

Michael E Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2022
    Draft TWO QBs. Maybe one early (top 3 rounds) and another in round 6 or 7 from a smaller school or suboptimal skills, but good leader and good production in a non-air-raid style offense. I.E. the boring QB that played above his measurables, week after week.

DUMP Trubisky and Rudolph and for goodness sake DO NOT sign a past-best-by-date QB like Tannehil or R. Wilson or any other has been

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  25. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Wouldnt want to build a team around him but he’d be fine as a BU. I still prefer they go after Minshew.