1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Better Free Agent pickup for the Steelers in 2024: Mason Rudolph or Ryan Tannehill?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Brice, Jan 31, 2024.

1. Mason Rudolph

40 vote(s)
    83.3%
  2. Ryan Tannehill

8 vote(s)
    16.7%
  1. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I'd sign Tannehill... he knows Smith's system, and if something happens to Kenny he should be able to step in quite easily.

If they want Kenny to be the guy, they don't want him looking over his shoulder to Rudolph constantly, or guys pining for Rudolph if Kenny is playing bad.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2024
  2. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    There is a film breakdown of Kennys game against Cincy on here, he played very well as evident of the team going over 400 yards for the first time in about 3 seasons. Thats not coincidence that happened in the first game Canada was gone. The film also highlights him committing some of the same flaws he had been all season. He clearly still has work to do.

They ended up benching Kenny anyway so that wasn’t the reason for Canada being fired. There are numerous film breakdowns of how Canadas schemes made no sense. Many of your arguments for defending Tomlin are spot on but sometimes coaches really do suck at their job. Canada had no business being an OC at this level.

3. mytake

mytake Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2016
    Rd. 3 with a 1st round grade. I like it!

• Like Like x 1
  4. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    But will he have a 1st round grade? :hehehe:

I can see Tannehill. He knows what Smith brings to the table, his system. Can help Pickett get up to speed with the playbook a mentor so to speak. Maybe Smith gets his way and they sign him.

If Rudolph stays he is learning a new system as well. Not that he couldn't do it. But I believe someone will pay more then the Steelers want to.

Minshew is someone I would like to see as well. Gamer.

As long as Mitch the Pick is gone the QB room already has gotten better.

5. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    I don't get the Tannehill hype, he's 36 and has been injured the last two years.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I’d like them to get Minshew but I wouldnt be surprised to see them bring Tannenhill in. If Kenny falls on his face they may feel Tannehill offers them a good chance to compete.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    LoL at Ryan T. LoL

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    And He has never really been good. Hell they even brought His college coach with them when He was drafted to speed up the process.

9. nor

nor Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2016
    i've heard the same said about mason rudolph and ryan tannehill

10. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    He had a few good years when Smith was his OC with the Titans, throwing for 55 TDs and making it to the AFCCG.

11. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Injured… and kind of sucked

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I never got it either, It must have been a miracle when he threw for 33. Plus he turns it over
    alot. If we found out about anything in these playoffs you can't afford to lose composure(Zay Flowers) and you can't afford to turn ball over. Detroit WR needs to learn how to catch.

13. Lloyd&Green

Lloyd&Green Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2015
    I saw the Cincy game. I don’t need to rely on anybody else’s film breakdown to tell me what I saw. As you said, despite the good looking individual and team stats the same flaws were evident. Thats all I’ve said. A lot of those passes to Muth in that Bengals game were first read throws. The biggest questions about Kenny are is he capable of standing in the pocket to diagnose what the defense is doing, quickly go through his progressions to find the right place to go with the ball and deliver it accurately? Mason showed that in his 4 game run. Kenny hasn’t shown that in 24 starts which includes that Cincy game.

The disheartening part for me and probably many others is that he struggles in each of those aspects individually. He struggles staying in the pocket. He struggles reading defenses and diagnosing when and where he should go with the ball when the first read isn’t there which prevents him from being on time if he has to go away from 1st read. He doesn’t even know who the first read should be at times as evident by the play he got hurt on. Then he also struggles with accuracy. So even when everything else lines up and he recognizes the open guy, he’s one of the least accurate qbs in the league. All of that has to improve greatly if he’s going to be the guy.

They didn’t bench Kenny. Still naming him qb1 going into next season shows he wasn’t benched. You really want me to allow the opinion of others to shape my own but that’s not going to happen. I saw Canada’s scheme with my own eyes. I saw open receivers missed and opportunities squandered every single game. I saw Kenny play like absolute garbage against the Browns in that second meeting, leaving all types of plays and points on the field. If Kenny plays slightly better and they’re able to win that game and go 7-3 Canada doesn’t even get fired.

I’m not saying that Canada’s offense was great or even denying that you can do film breakdowns to nitpick and criticize some of his concepts. You can do that with most nfl offenses though. I’m simply saying that we never saw Canada’s offense being executed at it’s highest level due to ineptness at qb. As I’ve said repeatedly, there were plays/points being left on the field every game. There’s absolutely no way that Canada was allowed to fully open up his offense and use his whole playbook with Kenny and Mitch.

DJ would rather have Mason than Kenny and obviously so would George. That speaks more to me than some film breakdown from somebody outside of the team.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2024
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    The Bucs are going to keep him. He certainly isn't leaving there for the Steelers knowing the obvious, which is that they are going to give Pickett another chance at some point.

15. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Johnson and Pickens are immature and selfish, incapable of thinking past a handful of games. There is a reason players don't make these decisions. Why do you not know that?

The truly hilarious part is you are so desperate to bury Pickett that you are defending Matt Canada. 'Nuff said.

16. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I'm sure he is because Roethlisberger is delusional enough to think he can still play at a high level.

17. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I'm not sure he should even be one at the college level. LSU fired him after one disastrous season. I really wish the Steelers had been paying better attention when that happened.

18. jeh1856

jeh1856 Nap time

Oct 26, 2011
    :lollmao:

19. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    The bucs would be foolish not to try and keep him, but it is free agency. I think yall are ignoring the details in what Tomlin said in his end of season presser. Is your qb1 currently on the roster? Yes(there’s only one qb on the roster so that makes bigk qb1 by default). Tomlin also said the job wouldn’t be handed to him. He will have competition. It’s also a huge year for him. A make or break year.

From what we’ve seen through 2 dozen or so professional games bigk is not a nfl caliber qb. That doesn’t mean he can’t become one. From all reports he puts in the work, but there’s no guarantee he develops into an nfl qb. I believe wholeheartedly the Steelers will do everything they can to bring back Mason. It wouldn’t shock me to see them bring in another vet like a mayfield or minshew as well. Depending on how the draft unfolds it wouldn’t be a complete shock if they drafted another qb this year.

20. Wardismvp

Oct 26, 2011
    Why wouldn't you want a QB drafted that has potential maybe 3rd round?

21. strummerfan

May 9, 2012
    What?

22. Wardismvp

Oct 26, 2011
    I want to draft a 3rd or fourth rounder and also bring in an experienced fa to compete with KFP. I am not talking about stiffs. Quality athletic QB room.

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. strummerfan

May 9, 2012
    I’m fine with them drafting a qb in the first if that’s the way the draft unfolds. You might as well prepare yourself for bigk being a bust. The odds are not in his favor.

24. strummerfan

May 9, 2012
    Perhaps you should look into success rates for draft picks

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  25. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Bingo. The Steelers suck at evaluating, coaching, and developing QBs. The proof is in the pudding.

• Agree Agree x 1