1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

The Wonderlic and Kenny Pickett

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by JackAttack 5958, Jan 28, 2024.

1. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    A lot of us are a guy like that…..:goofy:

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  2. Dax777

Dax777 Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2021
    My sense is there isn't much validity to the test if a score as low as 24 makes predictions useless.

Mahomes scoring 24 tells me the correlation between the test and reading defenses bis tenuous at best.

My view is that any QB who watches tape incessantly and becomes a fan ( In the true sense of the word Fanatic) of finding tells in the team's, DC's, and defensive player's that they play against will eventually be one fantastic at reading defenses regardless of their score on the wonderlic.

Now if the wonderlic is a test that tries test fanatical hard work then I'd say maybe there is something to it. But if this is just some form of IQ test that simply attempts to gauge the natural levels of neurons firing in the brain, then it will be a useless test.

1. You probably won't have the same brain after a few years in the NFL
    2. Processing bunder physical pressure differs tremendously from processing under intellectual pressure.
    3. And all of it can easily be overcome with fanatical, interest, hardwork, and film study.

All that said, I want the Steelers to go get Justin Field if they can. He'd be fantastic in an Aurhur Smith offense.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  3. JackAttack 5958

Oct 18, 2011
    What’s concerning is that so far Kenny’s play on the field seems to correlate with the Wonderlic, slow processor, difficulty in diagnoses, etc. Couple that with the durability concerns, I’m a little worried about him being able to take the next step. Hope I’m wrong.

As for Fields, I’ll pass. One failed Chicago QB is enough for a lifetime. If we can get him for a 4th rounder, maybe I’d consider it but I wouldn’t give up a top 3 pick for him.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    I was watching the Senior Bowl practice on the NFL Network yesterday and Milton uncorked an 88 yard throw. At 6'5" 245 lbs and a good runner his physical skills are off the charts. He could be a diamond in the rough or he could be Jamarcus Russell Jr.

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. Tiggs99

Tiggs99 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2019
    I have watched Justin Fields, and he doesn't excite me at all. In fact I rather have Pickett than Justin Fields. He is inaccurate, doesn't see field well, and had too many 3 and outs. At least Pickett doesn't throw interceptions.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Tiggs99

Tiggs99 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2019
    It does tell you that QB will be a bust if a score is below 20 and isn't compensated by some other physical gift. Pretty good correlation on that.

• Agree Agree x 4
  7. Dax777

Dax777 Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2021
    A th this year and a 5th for 6 exchange next year. I'll do.

Fields will be great in a Smith offense. A run first, play action pass offense with big personel and and a top 5%tile athletic QB...

It's a matchade in heaven if you ask me.

8. Dax777

Dax777 Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2021
    Fair enough. But it has that 'hedge' of 'if not compensated by some other physical traits."

In other words the test is a good score for Tom Brady type QB who scores under 20.

90% of QBs, including, Kenny don't fall into that sample size. Kenny is no Lamar Jackson but he is fairly athletic. This, he can easily overcome an under 20 score.

By the way, what was Justin Fields score?

9. Dax777

Dax777 Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2021
    Side Note: Justin Fields apparently crushed the new test on ability to learn new information that lots of teams are now using....

"Back in early April, former Bears quarterback Mark Sanchez appeared on the Pat McAfee Show, where he discussed the ridiculous rumors about Fields’ football intelligence and how it affected his draft stock. In case you needed any indication that it was absolutely bogus, according to Sanchez, Fields scored the highest rating ever on an aptitude test administered by sports psychologist, Dr. Goldman."

So outside of being an athletic freak, apparently his neurons fire quickly too. So all we need to do is turn him into an excellence fanatic of the game and we have a gem on our hands.

We need to go get this young man :)

10. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022
    The more film I look at of Aurthur Smith, the more I think Kenny Pickett would best be served on a trade getting him the #$%% as far away from here as possible.
    He could score 1000 on the old Wonderlic and it won't help.

In going through high level clips of Tennessee, it was easy to crash Henery into the line when in the Redzone and get scores.
    In Atlanta, while year 1 showed some promise, years 2 and 3 fell short.

Smith's resume just isn't as strong as I had hoped.
    It just seems like a hire that won't open any new ground, just same old rehashed, though light years ahead of Canada.

• Like Like x 1
  11. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Joe has a cannon for an arm for sure. I wouldn't call him a good runner as he goes down on first contact and isn't shifty. His accuracy and touch have been problematic his entire college career. I would expect someone to draft him in mid to late rounds based on his physical traits but they have to know he is a project and must have good QB coaching.

Joe lost the starting job at both Michigan and Tennessee and had a decent last season at UT but wasn't considered in the top tier of SEC QBs. I would argue that he had very good QB coaching at both MI and TN yet still never put it all together. He seems like a good teammate and good dude. Teams will be enamored with his size and arm and believe they can turn him into a superstar. Happens every year.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. JackAttack 5958

Oct 18, 2011
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. Utpittsburghfan

Utpittsburghfan Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2018

Sure, let’s get another failed QB. Fields is awful…he won’t be any better with Smith as his coordinator.

• Winner Winner x 1
  14. jeh1856

jeh1856 Just chilling

Oct 26, 2011
    This sounds like he has a six pack but may not have the plastic thingie that holds it all together

• Winner Winner x 1
  15. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    There is to much nonsense in sports today but writers need papers sold and keyboard clicks.

16. nor

nor Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2016
    what was Tomlin's Wonderlic score?

17. Huck Finn

Huck Finn Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2023
    We used to rely heavily on Wonderlic scores at a company I was with. As in this case with QBs, the mid-20's was basically the line we looked for as bare minimum. The few people we hired in the teens were pretty limited, one was a receptionist so it didn't really matter much. But as far as those with scores significantly higher, like in the 30's and 40's, it really didn't matter so much, just like in QBs. Fitzpatrick was a 48 but was a career backup, mostly. I believe Marino's score may have been him just not caring as it wasn't that heavily scrutinized in those days I don't think. He obviously was plenty smart enough to be a great QB. But in Kenny's case, I fear for the worst. He really just doesn't seem too bright.

18. Robert

Robert Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2016
    Degrees just mean you went to a lot of school. They do not mean that you are smart.

19. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
  20. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    He wasn't an NFL draft pick, why would he have a Wonderlic score :facepalm:?

• Winner Winner x 1
  21. JackAttack 5958

Oct 18, 2011
    True. He’s also a freak of an athlete which helps to compensate for the intellectual component of his game. There have been other quarterbacks who have scored low on the Wonderlic and have had success in the NFL, Terry Bradshaw and Dan Marino come to mind. But in every case, a QB with a low Wonderlic who found success in the league had some sort of exceptional physical trait (cannon for an arm, freakish athletic ability or both) that compensated for their lower intellect. Pickett has an okay arm, not great, and he has okay mobility, not great. Nothing about him physically makes you go “wow” and unfortunately it seems at this point that nothing about his football intellect makes you go “wow” either. I think that’s been demonstrated over the last two seasons as we’ve watched him struggle reading defenses and going through his progressions. Maybe he’ll turn out to be okay, but there are major concerns at this point.

• Agree Agree x 2
  22. Huck Finn

Huck Finn Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2023
    Yea, I guess Marino's arm is what compensated for the low Wonderlic. That boy sure could whip the ball all over the field.

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    I was just reading an article by a former scout about the importance of the nfl combine. Apparently agents spend millions of dollars preparing their clients for the combine. They work on the specific drills administered. They also practice the wonderlic test. Scouts give the wonderlic tests in the spring and then players will take it again at the combine. Unfortunately, according to the company that developed the test only the first score is valid. This guy went on to say players will take the wonderlic test 30-40 times before the combine. With that out of the way apparently Kenny isn’t the sharpest tool in the shed. Practice 30-40 times and still get a failing grade?

24. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  25. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    You’re assuming a lot.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1